PDA

View Full Version : Best race night ever

Motorhead350
09-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Tonight it was 70 and went down to the mid 50s with no clowds at all. I took my Merc to Da Grove in Wisconsion and let me tell you it was the best race night of my life.

As soon as I got there I thought it would be $20 because of being a tuesday, but it was $35 because of ladys night. I was a bit ticked, but being that I drove 2 hours I am not going to cry over $15. So I went in, got teched in and started to put the slicks on. (Thanks Justbob!) I jacked the car up with the factory jack... big mistake. Soon as I tightened the nuts for a racing tire the car fell off the jack and I needed to borrow a real jack from someone. I would have brought my good one if it didn't break last week. :o So I got the slicks on, corrected the tune to know what tires I had on. (Thanks Zack, I know you are reading no matter what!) Before I could make it to the track someone came up to me and said "You made it to the track hua?" Turns out it was the guy who put on my street tires at Pep Boys from about two months ago. We shoot the breeze for a little while and it was off to the races.

The first run I ran 13.0 and I was mad about it. I later ran a 13.1 and 13.2. I stopped for a little while to let the car cool down and I played with the tune. I put in the tune that was set to 7psi from the one that was set to 11psi. I didn't know what tune to put in... long story. Soon as I tuned the car I took out the street tires out of the trunk and hit the track again. Rather than getting mad that I didn't run a 12.4 I decided to just take my slips and put them in the cup holder... not reading them at all, just racing people for fun. THAT really made the night fun.

I shut down a few 05 Mustang GTs, SRT10 Ram, 95 Mustang GT (driven by a girl and a cute one too!) 87 Mustang GT (also driven by a girl... more on her later) 03 Ford Mustang Mach I, WRX (Not an STI, but this guy was doing low 13s... he had mods)

Later the guy from Pep Boys said he needed a ride to Napa (LOL) because he needed an O ring. I gave him a quick ten minute ride from the track to the store and he was very thankful. Told me he would "Hook me up" next time I went to Pep Boys and the K5 needs brake pads so woo hoo!

As I was running over and over a girl was running the staging lanes and was about my age. She asked what my car ran and I said I'm stuck in 13s, her reply was "You're biiitching about running a 13.0 with this car! That's really good! Take an easy on those girls tonight." My responce "You kiddin' me, I'm rough with them." She goes "Ya girls like it like that!" I was thinking wow time for a new girlfriend! :awe: I asked her what she had and she told me a Fox Body Mustang. I asked what was done, she said F-ing exhaust and some stuff. I said it sounded cool. I went and had my race and when I went back for another she pulled up next to me in her car.

She decided to quit working and race me. Her Mustang was bright red, Crager rims, Cowl hood and was very very clean. Nicest one I have ever seen. She smiled as she put up her tinted window and we were up to race. I smoked her, but that little thing ran a good 14.1 I believe. We raced again and I said it was fun and she said it was great too.

I asked what radio station was playing since I was digging about 75% of the music. She said the guy in the watch tower plays it on his ipod, so I asked if I could talk to him and before I knew it I was up in the watch tower talking to the announcer about how music I liked his music taste and how we were both pisssssed that we never got to see The Cramps live. :depress: I asked if he had the song Bird 65 by The Trashmen and sure enough he did and played it when I went to race the next time. He also announced my last name correctly and said how I had a band in Chicago.

When I made my second "rounds" I took the tires out of the trunk and let them sit by the Pep Boys guys stuff. Before I knew it I was back into the 12s, but I didn't look at my slip. People kept telling me they didn't wanna race because I was doing 12.8, 12.7 and one guy said 12.6... I still haven't read my slips and I won't until I wake up tomorrow, I just wanna enjoy this high. It was pretty funny hearing from people "I can't touch you, you're too fast." The only race I lost was to a 2009 Corvette and he was doing 12.6, but that's when I was stuck at 13.0... I should have raced him again after I took the tires out and played with the tune... there will always be another Vette to eat. :burnout:

I decided to quit racing after my tranny was feeling weird so I watched for a little while. The girl in the red Mustang Fox Body decided to bracket race against the other girls and she actually won the championship (for Ladys Night) at the end of the night. She was so happy running around the track and literally jumping up and down. I told her she did a great job, but she decided she'd rather talk to people she knew... figures. :help:

So after all the racing I went back to the Pep Boys guys car to make sure it was together and he could make it home. He was cool and I was going leave until I heard a version of Hot Rod Lincoln that I never heard before. I could have sworn it was Primus so I went to the announcer to ask and it was Les Claypool... solo. So I was kinda right. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRuWDSPk-rs He also played a song about complaining about alcohol comsumption and I had to know who it was and turns out it was Johnny Cash with a song called Leave That Junk Alone... loved it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSi1JP3rHrw

Before I knew it he was shutting down the track lights and we were the only ones left. I always wanted to walk around after hours at a track and I did it that night talking to the guy about music and cars... couldn't be any better... well if I knew how to talk to women that would have been great, but I'm still a loser in that department.

The car made it home just fine and I think the tranny was running hot later. We'll see how it is tomorrow and I'll post the offical times later.

Good night!

DOOM
09-01-2009, 11:30 PM
:congrats: Dom.
:banana2:

RR|Suki
09-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Well done man, you still on the 28 spline rear end of did you get your 31 spline put in already?

DOOM
09-02-2009, 08:03 AM
So what was your fastest time down the 1320 dom? :burn:

Motorhead350
09-02-2009, 10:20 AM
The best time reads 12.001, but I think those are 8's not 0's because of the ink. The best time for sure reads 12.736@109.10mph.

Not as fast as I'd like, but I'll accept it for now. Racing gas next week!

RR|Suki
09-02-2009, 10:29 AM
The best time reads 12.001, but I think those are 8's not 0's because of the ink. The best time for sure reads 12.736@109.10mph.

Not as fast as I'd like, but I'll accept it for now. Racing gas next week!

just 60' alone will do you a lot better, I did that time on street tires back when I had less power. With those slicks you could run a 12.4 or 12.3 with that MPH

TAKEDOWN
09-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Awesome Dom... glad you had a good time!

03calitejas
09-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey Dom!

Sounds like you did pretty good with the car getting it all hooked up. I also think you prolly did great with the girl...make sure to go chat her up next time you hit the grove. Can't wait to get another ride in that beast when I hit Chitown again around Thanksgiving.

magindat
09-02-2009, 01:46 PM
... well if I knew how to talk to women that would have been great, but I'm still a loser in that department.

Like your racing, that will mature!

You got the right start!
You raced for fun and wasn't a competitive weenie. You were conversational and treated the ladies as equals. Now, just don't be so eager! Back off, and they'll come to you! - And the MARAUDER!

It works! Even this big boy manages a new 'seat cover' from time to time!

RR|Suki
09-02-2009, 03:07 PM
What kind of 60' times did you manage?

Motorhead350
09-04-2009, 07:55 AM
What kind of 60' times did you manage?

Looks like I was stuck in constant 1.9s, but I'll check the rest of the slips when I get home.

RR|Suki
09-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Need more heat in the tires, or maybe just more practice, lots of room for growth in the 60'

Motorhead350
09-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Need more heat in the tires, or maybe just more practice, lots of room for growth in the 60'

I think more heat, but keep in mind mositure got on the track later that night. Plus I wasn't too hard on them since they belong to Justbob.

Dragcity
09-04-2009, 11:38 AM
What? You never tagged a track girl at the finish line.....? Shame on you! You've been to the track, almost as much as me.

Motorhead350
09-04-2009, 12:14 PM
What? You never tagged a track girl at the finish line.....? Shame on you! You've been to the track, almost as much as me.

I don't know the game outside of the track. :mad: