PDA

View Full Version : Braid abrasion

CRUZTAKER
09-04-2009, 05:48 PM
I had the front wheels off the car for a project and caught eye of something not so good.

I am wondering if my tires are doing this?
If it is, what can be done to remedy it?

Both front lines about midway on each line.
Been on for <300 miles.
Stock tires / rims and Behr brake kit.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/BRAKELINE_Large_.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

FastMerc
09-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Yes buddy that is your tire doing that.There was a problem with the new GTO with that very problem.Line is likely to long.

FastMerc
09-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Quick remedy cut rubber fuel line wrap section on line wrap with heavyduty tape...

fastblackmerc
09-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Quick remedy cut rubber fuel line wrap section on line wrap with heavyduty tape...

Or secure the rubber fuel line with zip ties.

sd8683
09-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Sweet macro shot Barry! :D

Joe Walsh
09-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Is there any corresponding worn area on the circumference of the tires?
Maybe zip tie the lines back an inch or so?

Todd TCE
09-04-2009, 07:06 PM
This usually results from hoses being installed and tightened then it's up on a jack or stands. In that case the suspension is in full "droop" and not representative of where they really sit when at "ride height". For that reason I always state that hoses need to be looked and or adjusted with regard to the lay or flow again after install and on the ground.

If the damages are not into the braid covering it again with some elec tape will keep out the dust and be fine. The jacket is only there to prevent dust seeping in.

CRUZTAKER
09-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Sweet macro shot Barry! :D

Sweet Bokeh eh? :cool:

If the damages are not into the braid covering it again with some elec tape will keep out the dust and be fine. The jacket is only there to prevent dust seeping in.

Thanks Todd.
I am not much of a mechanic. I had someone else do them.
What you say makes total sense. I wish I would have thought of that.:P

I'll wrap them for now, and look closer with the car on the ground tomorrow.
I assume I could have someone (someone really thin lol) re-adjust them while the car is down no?

Todd TCE
09-04-2009, 08:01 PM
You can loosen and adjust/position them and not need to bleed them only if you make a very small change to the tq of the hardline or the banjo. Just enough to rotate but that's all. Then tighten again.

CRUZTAKER
09-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Too difficult to rotate the lines to a corrected position.
I ended up taking small lengths of fuel line hose, split tube them, and slipped them on over the bad areas. I used tie wraps to hold the split tube in place.

Seriously...I am no mechanic, but these lines are waaaayyyy too long.
Easily 6" longer than stock.

Why were they engineered so long in the first place?

DEFYANT
09-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Mine are the same way. Did you get these from Dennis? The plastic coating rubbed away, but they've been fine other wise. I suspect they are a universal brake line.

CRUZTAKER
09-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Mine are the same way. Did you get these from Dennis?

No, I got them from TCE, that's why I posted in his forum.
I was going to call Dennis and ask if his were shorter and get a set from him.
I guess that's out now.

I surely am not complaining.
Todd GAVE these to me no charge, and I was very greatfull.

I am just concerned about safety and potential brake fluid damages to wheels, brakes, and body panels if one were to let loose.

I am now burdened with having to check them week to week for the rest of their life on my vehicle now.:o

Todd TCE
09-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Unless there is something very different about this set...the fronts are 17" long and the rears are 20". This is the same spec it's been for three+ years (?). That spec was derived from one of your own who helped work in this from day one. The only known issues (i think) that I can ever recall was the batch that had the wrong threaded ends and were all replaced.

The hose can be 'indexed' by rotating both the banjo (obviously) and the hard line adapter end. By loosening the flare nut you can rotate the hose hex and curl the hose or S-hape it and secure the flare nut. Aside from full lock turns (low speed) there should be no reason for the wheel to ever contact the hose. Plastic lined or plain.

I'm certainly not denying that what you see is legit. I'm not clear on how it's a problem on (so far?) only one kit.

If there's a concensus that this is a wide spread thing please let me know and I'll shorten the next batch.

CRUZTAKER
09-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Unless there is something very different about this set...the fronts are 17" long and the rears are 20". .....

:rolleyes:

I can almost bet the bank the installer put the longer ones on the front.
I mean...it makes sense...the back ones don't move, why would they be longer.

I'll check it out when I swap rear tires later this month.

And as far as me being the first to see this issue...I HIGHLY doubt that.

ImpalaSlayer
09-06-2009, 12:07 PM
:rolleyes:

I can almost bet the bank the installer put the longer ones on the front.
I mean...it makes sense...the back ones don't move, why would they be longer.

I'll check it out when I swap rear tires later this month.

And as far as me being the first to see this issue...I HIGHLY doubt that.

can i call your installer and tell him hes a dumby? (pretty sure i know who did it)

CRUZTAKER
09-06-2009, 12:43 PM
can i call your installer and tell him hes a dumby? (pretty sure i know who did it)

:lol:

Don't mention the dust shields and the damage to the rotors though....:D