PDA

View Full Version : Need help dissecting my timeslip

FormulaMarauder
09-13-2009, 04:46 PM
I find it interesting that my 1/8th mph is high. REALLY high. I mean, the seventh fastest on the timeslip page! :eek: Is it the nature of the blower? The roots traditionally hit power and maintain, while the centrifigual setups wind and wind and wind. Is this a safe assumption?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/FormulaGod/timeslip1.jpg

MM03MOK
09-13-2009, 05:06 PM
You 1/8 mile ET puts you at #47. Your 1/8 mile mph has you in 10th. You took longer to get there than others around your time, by over 3/4 of a second. Yes, the roots can be quicker off the start getting into the power band sooner and the vortech does better in 1/4 mile races than 1/8 mile.

CRUZTAKER
09-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Is his 8th mile 8.263? That's 43rd in line dude.

That's not what I would call really fast.
Fast indeed, but not really fast lol.:D

Nice run man!

Get that thing to hook and lower those 60' times and just see...!

That was my failure last year. No hook. I had to hit the NOS on the second gear upshift or it was all over the track.

Not so this year....I hope.:rolleyes:

FormulaMarauder
09-13-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm referencing my mph in the 1/8th, not times, Bunny.
Aside from that, I strongly believe that if you can't prove it with a timeslip, picture, or video, it never happend. In this day everyone has a cell camera, digi camera, and/or scanner. Take glassman99 for example.(#9 on page 1) All his times are rounded off, even hp. No slip, no video, nothing. Just what APPEARS to be made up numbers. This site should mandate all timeslip page have a link to a slip and/or video.

FormulaMarauder
09-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Is his 8th mile 8.263?

Like I said CRUZ, I'm talking about mph, not time.

MM03MOK
09-13-2009, 05:24 PM
You 1/8 mile ET puts you at #47. Your 1/8 mile mph has you in 10th. You took longer to get there than others around your time, by over 3/4 of a second. Yes, the roots can be quicker off the start getting into the power band sooner and the vortech does better in 1/4 mile races than 1/8 mile.

Yes, I know....hence my comment.

A great start and room to improve. Nice job!

CRUZTAKER
09-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Like I said CRUZ, I'm talking about mph, not time.

Sorry, neither one of us were apparently on the same page.

Well...when they start paying for MPH, you'll have the advantage. :up:

ImpalaSlayer
09-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Aside from that, I strongly believe that if you can't prove it with a timeslip, picture, or video, it never happend. In this day everyone has a cell camera, digi camera, and/or scanner. Take glassman99 for example.(#9 on page 1) All his times are rounded off, even hp. No slip, no video, nothing. Just what APPEARS to be made up numbers. This site should mandate all timeslip page have a link to a slip and/or video.

i have no pics of slips on there and i clearly remember my run.

FormulaMarauder
09-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Sorry, neither one of us were apparently on the same page.

Well...when they start paying for MPH, you'll have the advantage. :up:

Now we're talking!! Curious how the times are going to differ w/the new TC.

FormulaMarauder
09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
i have no pics of slips on there and i clearly remember my run.

Some people like yourself have no reason to "fudge" the numbers. I would like to see a TRUE depiction of the timeslip page, I'm sure there are people that subtracted a tenth or two just to move up a slot.
If you look at my sig, it has a lower time than the slip I posted because that lower slip flew out the window accidentally on the highway. :mad2: I'm not going to post those times on the timeslip page if I can't prove it.

ImpalaSlayer
09-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Some people like yourself have no reason to "fudge" the numbers. I would like to see a TRUE depiction of the timeslip page, I'm sure there are people that subtracted a tenth or two just to move up a slot.
If you look at my sig, it has a lower time than the slip I posted because that lower slip flew out the window accidentally on the highway. :mad2: I'm not going to post those times on the timeslip page if I can't prove it.

if i had a scanner id put it up there. out of my 50+ slips i put the fasest one up there

Paul T. Casey
09-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Your 1/8 speed could be a function of where you staged also, but I would expect to see it reflected in the 1/4 mph also. Anyhow, if you were staged real shallow (just tickling the lights on) you would get a higher mph (got a little bit of a running start before you tripped the start timing light. Just one of the little games you can play with staging. May be able to gain a couple mph, and maybe .05ish in time like this.

John Nero
09-13-2009, 07:08 PM
when i ran at atlanta last year i had a timeslip malfuction - if you look at the person you ran against he has no mph for his 1/8 mile - the end result is all that matters

Mach1Marauder
09-13-2009, 09:55 PM
when i ran at atlanta last year i had a timeslip malfuction - if you look at the person you ran against he has no mph for his 1/8 mile - the end result is all that matters

Exactly John!

A 15.85 mph backhalf isn't too good for a SC vehicle and seems outta place.

FormulaMarauder
09-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Exactly John!

A 15.85 mph backhalf isn't too good for a SC vehicle and seems outta place.

All seven of my slips that day are that consistent. Strange indeed

Mach1Marauder
09-13-2009, 10:32 PM
All seven of my slips that day are that consistent. Strange indeed
Same short times?...............Strange indeed

Post em up man!

That MPH is really high for an 8.2 ET

I've ran a 6.88@98 with a bottle.

I'd say you were spinning a LOT if I just used your 1/8 mile figures, but your 1/4 trap is right along with your ET.

Blown3.8
09-14-2009, 08:00 PM
I think the lights are off. I run 8.0's in my bird at 85mph with 1.80 60's then the quarter in 12.5 at 108.

Or your makin a hell of alota HP before you hit 3rd then it drops way off.

Bluerauder
09-15-2009, 03:43 AM
I think the lights are off.
This ^^^^^ was my first thought. Notice that the car in the left lane #630 shows 0.00 MPH at the 660 point.

babbage
09-15-2009, 07:02 AM
if i had a scanner id put it up there. out of my 50+ slips i put the fasest one up there

Take a picture of the slip with a camera - I did... :flamer:

1MTNCAT
09-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Looking at the 60' I too agree he was spinning hard. That will generally result in a significant increase in MPH in the 1/8th once the car hooks up and also results in a higher ET to that point.

Like Chris, I believe that could have been a 12.4-5 E.T or better with some traction. There is enough MPH there for a very low 12 second pass.

You need to get some stickies on the back of that thing. A 1.8 60 would put you borderline 11's if the car can run all the way out, especially in good air.

FormulaMarauder
09-15-2009, 09:06 AM
The tires are more than fine, a ton of the Stangs runing 9's and 10's on them the same night. I literally mounted these on 2 hours before racing, doubt the ellis compound was prominent with such a new tire. Need to get some miles on them, only made a few passes with them.

1MTNCAT
09-15-2009, 01:31 PM
What tires are you running. Size and tire pressure at the strip? I'm not doubting you just trying to figure why the poor 60' short times. Do you have an aftermarket converter also?

FormulaMarauder
09-15-2009, 02:14 PM
What tires are you running. Size and tire pressure at the strip? I'm not doubting you just trying to figure why the poor 60' short times. Do you have an aftermarket converter also?

Tire size is 255/50/16. 19psi rear, the fronts weren't bumped up either. Torque convertor and control arms are stock, but a 3,500 convertor and Sparta control arms being installed as I type this. :D Should dramatically improve my 60's. Update this Friday. :D

1MTNCAT
09-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Those tires seem awful short for that big heavy car and a SC. If my memory serves me correctly they are around 25.6 inches tall. Its good for the xtra gear but not good for traction on that car. You'd probably be better off running something around a 27"-28" tall Radial/Bias ply drag tire.

Not sure what kind of tire you have, maybe a nitto, BFG or MT but if its a drag radial, I'm assuming it is, you do need to drop the pressure down to around 14 psi and heat the crap out of them.

With a converter in it you are only going to compound the traction issue with the short tire. Not only that but with those short sidewalls the tire has less deflection on launch and can't absorb as much of the shock. Thus wheel hop.

Just some things to consider. The work on the suspension may help a little here.

FormulaMarauder
09-15-2009, 07:36 PM
These are the tires.
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadial

1MTNCAT
09-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I know what they are now. They are a great tire for a street radial. I do not believe the tire height specs on them though. They are showing the circumference as 82 inches the same as the 235-60-15 and both are at 26.1 inches tall. I had 235-60-15's on my Cougar a long time ago and they were never 26.1 inches tall. Same for the Nitto 555's that are the same size as your tires 255-50-16's. They measured around 25.7 tall.

Here's what I used off your chart on my car when I was running those Drag radials.

P275/60R15 28 X 11.50R15 33 R2 7.5-9.5 8 11.0 9.5 28.0 87. That was on the juice @ 14-15 PSI of air pressure pulling 1.63-1.65 60 ft times with an aftermarket converter.

I now use the Hoosier QTP's in a 27 X 10.50 X 15" biased ply running on the motor and a 28 X 9 X 15" MT Drag slick on the car with the juice.

I can't remember who had them but someone had a 255-60-15 in a drag radial that was at or near 27 inches.

I guess maybe since we are talking about two different cars here we really need to find out what most of the Marauder guys with power adders are running.

The bottom line is though to work the bugs out of the suspension and the tires, converter package to make that ET drop like a rock LOL!

FormulaMarauder
09-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the elaborate response. My tuner has used this combo many times, and adjusts the revs per mile accordingly. Several members run this tire combo effectively, Ctrlraven comes to mind. Let's see what these new mods (TC and control arms) do. I'll report back Friday, hopefully with a video too. :-)
What do you suggest I inflate the front stockers to?
Thanks in advance.

1MTNCAT
09-15-2009, 09:04 PM
When I run the street BFG Front tires I run them at 40 PSI. They call for 35 Cold. I run the same for the skinnies. Your tires being a different size may have a different pressure rating. Regardless, I'd not go over 5 lbs on the cold tire pressure. For just 1/4 mile passes it shouldn't be an issue.

Be sure to deflate them to the proper pressure before driving home.

ctrlraven
09-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the elaborate response. My tuner has used this combo many times, and adjusts the revs per mile accordingly. Several members run this tire combo effectively, Ctrlraven comes to mind. Let's see what these new mods (TC and control arms) do. I'll report back Friday, hopefully with a video too. :-)
What do you suggest I inflate the front stockers to?
Thanks in advance.
Yep, the ones I run on are the same ones that Joe Walsh used with his NA 12.99 runs. The theory is solid with using a smaller tire as long as you can keep traction. After you install the 3500 stall converter you might want to get something a lot wider just IMHO. Inflate the front tires to 42-44 psi. Once you get your control arms take the car out some place private and practice your launching cause aftermarket CA's compared to stock is leaps and bounds, really tightens up the rear, I still get sideways lol, I think I need a wider tire :).

Best of luck next time around!

1MTNCAT
09-16-2009, 08:19 AM
ctrlraven,

So you are running Naturally aspirated? That is the difference between yours, his and the other gentlemens NA car. He can't compare his traction to yours.

With a power adder car he is going to need a lot more tire, especially with an aftermarket converter.

Thus my reasoning for 27-28 inch tires. As an example my car with a NA dynoed 249 HP 290FP torque does well with either the small Nitto's or MT Drags. With the nitrous power adder at 350WHP and 503TQ the small tires suck with the nitrous! The larger tire and circumference will help plant the power and the larger sidewalls will absorb some of the shock at launch. For an example, my car 60's at 1.79-1.85 If I'm lucky on the nitrous power adder & small tires. Lots of spin. Same condition and the 28" drag tires 1.57-1.60 is the norm.

Again hopefully the suspension mods will help him but I'm betting even with the tires down at drag pressures, the new converter and the power adder he just eats them alive.

Again, just my take on it. Friday will tell tale. He should still 60 ft better with the converter but traction will be the limiting factor.

ctrlraven
09-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Yeah I am NA and I know there is a difference, he should get a wider tire to be on the safe side if he wants to run something small still. The 255/50-16 is probably good up to 350whp/350tq anything above that I wouldn't bet on.

Run the drag radials down to 13/14 psi, even with my lite modded NA I hooked better at 16 psi compared to 18psi.

FormulaMarauder
09-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Keep in mind the blower is a Vortech and the power comes up high...REAL high. Dynoed at 442/398. The race tune with the 100 gas and increased timing probably adds another 15hp or so.

Glenn
09-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Good luck Friday - gonna bump the olde man out of lucky #21? :eek:

Glenn :shake:

1MTNCAT
09-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Keep in mind the blower is a Vortech and the power comes up high...REAL high. Dynoed at 442/398. The race tune with the 100 gas and increased timing probably adds another 15hp or so.

Where is the power and torque numbers on your car at 3500 RPM and after? Thats where you are going to be hitting the tires.The RPM will keep rising as will power from there. To make it worse you'll be trying to push 4400 lbs? out of the hole at the same time.

Friday will be fun. Keep us posted on the results. Maybe the weather will be better this time out too. We all seek good cold air LOL!!!!

FormulaMarauder
09-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Where is the power and torque numbers on your car at 3500 RPM and after?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/FormulaGod/dyno2.jpg

1MTNCAT
09-16-2009, 07:27 PM
So you are making around 225 HP and 325 TQ around 3500 RPM with both climbing quickly at that point. Thats with the Supercharger from what I can tell.

My 2V PI headswapped/Bullitt intake car made around 215 HP and 310 TQ around 3500. Mine pretty much leveled out past that point. Yours is climbing hard to peak power on both.

On the Nitrous mine hit 503 TQ at 2750 RPM & right around 350 HP at 5000 or so RPM. If I can get them on here I'll post the dyno runs.

I still honestly believe you are going to need taller tires to hook that beast LOL!!!!!!

Mach1Marauder
09-16-2009, 08:54 PM
ctrlraven,

So you are running Naturally aspirated? That is the difference between yours, his and the other gentlemens NA car. He can't compare his traction to yours.

With a power adder car he is going to need a lot more tire, especially with an aftermarket converter.

Thus my reasoning for 27-28 inch tires. As an example my car with a NA dynoed 249 HP 290FP torque does well with either the small Nitto's or MT Drags. With the nitrous power adder at 350WHP and 503TQ the small tires suck with the nitrous! The larger tire and circumference will help plant the power and the larger sidewalls will absorb some of the shock at launch. For an example, my car 60's at 1.79-1.85 If I'm lucky on the nitrous power adder & small tires. Lots of spin. Same condition and the 28" drag tires 1.57-1.60 is the norm.

Again hopefully the suspension mods will help him but I'm betting even with the tires down at drag pressures, the new converter and the power adder he just eats them alive.

Again, just my take on it. Friday will tell tale. He should still 60 ft better with the converter but traction will be the limiting factor.
The only problem with going to the 28 in MT drag from lile a 26 in drag is the tire compound. The 28in tire compound is harder then the 26. If your car does better with the 28 VS the 26 is that the 28 is better for you particular IC(Instant Center).
If FormulaMarauder was close, I'd get his car scaled, figure where his weights were, figure his IC and then adjust accordingly with his current set up. If for chance he was running outta rpm at the stripe and needed more gear, the MT 27X9 is a very good tire for a couple of reasons. It has the exact same sticky compound as the 26X10 slick, but has more sidewall to absorb the hit off the line and taller for less rpm thru the traps. The 27X9 also has less growth on the big end than the 28, which on the 28 can sometimes can hurt the very top of the track on a N/A or SC car, but turbos love the extra growth and load.

I'm sorry, but I've never had to scale a Marauder or figure it's IC, so I cant really give ya any guidance there.

1MTNCAT
09-17-2009, 05:23 AM
That is correct to a point. You will lose some top end if the car can't power through on the top with the taller tire (Less Gear) 28" vs. 26". The fine line is getting the car to accelerate all the way through, good traction down low, and top the RPM's at the stripe. With your set up and 450+ HP up top it should pull well with larger rubber.

As far as the IC I've never used it and really can't say much on how that works. I have heard of it. I'm just basing my experience on my car and previous cars over 30+ years of doing this.

All cars are different so I could be wrong on this. Hope he can get good conditions to run in on Friday and we'll get some slips to look at.

If its not in the 1.7's or low 1.8's in the 60's with the current set up then I'd say he needs to look into it further.

FormulaMarauder
09-17-2009, 08:09 AM
I will get the car scaled on Friday as well, I believe I was at 4,250 or so if memory serves correctly

1MTNCAT
09-17-2009, 08:44 AM
I will get the car scaled on Friday as well, I believe I was at 4,250 or so if memory serves correctly

Good luck Friday. Get us all the data you can.

I'll do all I can to help you get it on down there.

FormulaMarauder
09-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Good luck Friday. Get us all the data you can.

I'll do all I can to help you get it on down there.

Well then jump on a plane, I'll see you tomorrow. :D

1MTNCAT
09-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I wish I could LOL!!! But then reality sets in.

Have someone take video of the car from burnout to leaving the line and following the run down the track. Side shot for sure in the box and on the line. Take your dial-in marker and make a white mark down the sidewall of the rear tires.

Then post up the videos when you can. I wanna watch the tires and suspension at work. Match the slips (runs) to the video.

Next best thing to being there.

FormulaMarauder
09-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Then post up the videos when you can. I wanna watch the tires and suspension at work. Match the slips (runs) to the video.

Next best thing to being there.

Will do!! I'll start a new thread too so this one doesn't get washed.
Thanks for the help:beer:

SMOKE
09-17-2009, 09:17 PM

You're lighter...I was 4,205 on the scale, you were in the 4,100 something range...

Drive it like you stole it and let 'er suck up all this COOOL air!!!!!!!!:beatnik:

Jonathan

PS: and hit all the nannies (T/C, OD and Suspension)....;)

mpearce
09-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Widened stock wheels.

Mickey Thompson 305/45/18 Drag Radials @ 26 psi.

1.65 60ft.

Top 10 60ft's on the timeslip page.

Simple and Easy.

-Mat

p.s. My Marauder weighed in at 4590 with me in it when I ran my 11.88 and hit my 1.65 60ft. I weigh 250lbs.