PDA

View Full Version : Can linkage adj. solve this problem?

scippy
09-28-2009, 08:33 AM
In order to get the car up into the passing gears, I have to keep my hand
(by pushing very hard & foward) on the shifter while in drive in order to get
her out from the lower gears and up into the passing gears.
After years of complaint and the "We find nothing wrong" from dealership
I've come to accept this, but after joining this site and having many other
issues resolved, I know I'll get answers..........'03 MM..............THANKS

CRUZTAKER
09-28-2009, 08:51 AM
I believe you, or perhaps someone else asked about this in a separate thread...?

But my answer is the same, when mine did this, it was a shifter linkage adjustment.

babbage
09-28-2009, 12:38 PM
I believe you, or perhaps someone else asked about this in a separate thread...?

But my answer is the same, when mine did this, it was a shifter linkage adjustment.

Yeah, but which way did you adjust it? Was it even you that made the adjustment?

After my trans swap, When I go to put it in neutral I have to push towards the dash more...

massacre
09-28-2009, 02:04 PM
When I did my trans swap, I first got the MLPS dead nuts, then with the shifter in the neutral position, adjusted the cable until it fit.
Do yourself a huge favor:find someone to help you with this. I did it by myself, and I had to keep climbing under the car making adjustments to the cable, and then back up top to check the shifter, and then back under, etc., etc. PITA to say the least. If you just keep cycling it through the gears, front to back, listening for the click from the trans until you reach all the gears and it seems good, it should be fine.

ntd
09-28-2009, 04:47 PM
In order to get the car up into the passing gears, I have to keep my hand
(by pushing very hard & foward) on the shifter while in drive in order to get
her out from the lower gears and up into the passing gears.
After years of complaint and the "We find nothing wrong" from dealership
I've come to accept this, but after joining this site and having many other
issues resolved, I know I'll get answers..........'03 MM..............THANKS
Yes this can cause that problem. To properly adjust, place the gearshift in drive. From the underside of the car remove the nut push the lever all the way forward then two clicks back that is the drive position. Hook the cable back up to the lever and Tighten the nut making sure the lever doesn't move at all. PM me if you need more help

scippy
09-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Yes this can cause that problem. To properly adjust, place the gearshift in drive. From the underside of the car remove the nut push the lever all the way forward then two clicks back that is the drive position. Hook the cable back up to the lever and Tighten the nut making sure the lever doesn't move at all. PM me if you need more help
ntd, Now that you explained it, I'm thinking the shifter linkage is just a tad off. Although I'm pushing hard foward on the shifter it appears (in reality) to be no more than a micro amount of adjustment.
I will PM you for some particulars................... .................Thanks

massacre
09-28-2009, 06:16 PM

Scippy, how is it that when I explained it, it was an enigma?
You're trying to get the shift lever on the trans to jive with the cable.???

babbage
09-29-2009, 08:08 AM

This is good advice - thanks!
I am going to try this - this weekend. Mine seems like it's a tad off.

CRUZTAKER
09-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah, but which way did you adjust it? Was it even you that made the adjustment?

After my trans swap, When I go to put it in neutral I have to push towards the dash more...

I wish I could tell you....but the dealer did it each time under warranty.

scippy
09-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Scippy, how is it that when I explained it, it was an enigma?
You're trying to get the shift lever on the trans to jive with the cable.???

Are you a Bo Sox fan?? This could explain the Mystery lol

1Marauder
05-20-2016, 09:51 PM
Wanted to revive this thread (thank you Hawkco).

Had my black for years now... Got the linkage fixed /adjusted /tightened today thanks to Hawkco, and all of you!

A whopping $25 clams... Feels tight and new as an 18,035 mile car should.

Am so happy. I was thinking of selling my Marauders, but am now re-energized.

03blackvegas
05-21-2016, 05:16 AM
Wanted to revive this thread (thank you Hawkco).

Had my black for years now... Got the linkage fixed /adjusted /tightened today thanks to Hawkco, and all of you!

A whopping $25 clams... Feels tight and new as an 18,035 mile car should.

Am so happy. I was thinking of selling my Marauders, but am now re-energized.

How did a 18,035 mile car have the shift linkage out of adjustment?

1Marauder
05-22-2016, 08:57 AM
? Had it at 14,000 miles when I bought it...?