PDA

View Full Version : Brake light flickering problem resolved, I think

TripleTransAm
10-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Some of you witnessed me prepare to blow up my wretched Marauder on Saturday night at the hotel, after folks broke the news to me that I had practically no brake lights.

On my way back to the group hotel after dropping off my wife and kid, I did get to notice how the lights would only come on at VERY forceful braking only... the thought of the upcoming 9+ hours of driving home with wife and baby to worry about had me just about ready to torch this sucker.

Some of you may remember a thread from late spring where I complained about my brake lights flickering off whenever I removed the slightest bit of pressure OFF the pedal after applying the brakes. At the time, it was determined that the brake booster rod was 'lazy' and was allowing the brake light switch to open whenever pressure on the pedal was released but with still enough pressure to hold the car with the brakes. A brake booster change alleviated the problem a little bit, enough to satisfy me until a few days before Hershey, at which point I started noticing a return of the symptoms by watching the reflections of my brake lights on reflective surfaces (walls, glass, etc.).

During the drive down to Hershey, I noticed that I needed to apply a fair bit of pressure on the pedal to disengage the cruise control and that when it did, the accelerator would pop up rather noisily. Turns out it was because I was braking without tripping the brake light switch (and hence disengaging the cruise control) so the accelerator would automatically move to compensate for the loss of speed, until I braked enough to trip the lights.

Okay, all the background stuff out of the way... the solution.

I got under the dash (thanks to the hotel staff lending me a flashlight) and noticed the brake switch responded MUCH better to pedal movement if I oriented the switch such that the end with the connectors would point UP into the dash, not completely down as it was previously. In this orientation, the lights trip the MOMENT I touched the pedal, and stay lit ALL the time, never flickering off with pressure variation on the pedal.

My technician feels the switch should respond the same in ALL orientations, so he has a replacement switch ready to go on Friday morning to see if that removes the brake light's sensitivity to brake switch orientation.

There you have it... resolution to something that's been bugging me and my dealer for about 6 months now.

In the meantime, some of you responded in my earlier thread that they had the same issue or similar. As a stopgap until I figure things out on Friday with the new switch, try moving the connector end UP on the brake switch such that it points into the dash, not at the driver's legs as mine had drooped. Probably a temporary fix pending the real solution, but at least now we have a definite smoking gun.

Thanks to Barry and John for being my remote eyes as I lay tits-up in the driver's side footwell playing with this ill-designed piece of crap brake switch. I owe my safe return to Montreal to you guys keeping a close eye on my taillight operation (and thanks to whoever pointed out my initial malfunction over the FRS radio, on the way back from dinner).

RCSignals
10-22-2003, 08:36 PM
Steve.....BlackCloud......

Thanks for the tip. I don't have a brake light problem, but if I do I'll look there first

mtnh
10-23-2003, 07:08 AM
Steve, you say that English is not your primary language, right? Well, you have a keen command of the English language, as evidenced by your very good wording when documenting fixes, problems, and, last, but not least, descriptions of positions inside of footwells when repairing stop light switches. lol...

Mike

TripleTransAm
10-23-2003, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Mike. I'm sure the members who met me at Hershey would say otherwise, though... although I'm sure I displayed an awesome mastery of the art of cursing in English that night at the hotel as I zero'ed in on the solution.

I can assure you that the calm Pennsylvania night air around Harrisburg (my hotel) was temporarily polluted by the sounds of an irate Canadian fiercely cursing at a black car in 3 languages other than English. (yes, I was hopping mad... and stressed... glad I cooled off by the time I got to the Hershey hotel).

A little detail for those with the same problem looking to try this fix. The brake switch is held in place by a spring clip (painted yellow on mine) at the brake booster rod side, and this allows the switch to arc up and down on the connector end (closest to the driver), as the spring clip serves as the fulcrum. When I rotated the switch assembly upwards by the connector end (two green wires), that's when I got the best brake light response ever since I've owned this thing.

RC... blackcloud... funny. har har. ;) I can laugh about it now, but that evening the thought of a 9 hour drive home with wife and kid's safety to worry about had me stressed. Almost got rear-ended twice on the way back to the Hershey hotel.

TripleTransAm
10-24-2003, 10:13 AM
The brake switch was investigated this morning.... interesting results.

With the new brake switch in place, a person can swing the switch by the connector end all they want, but it will spring back into the proper position thanks to a little dimple on the side of the collar that holds it onto the pedal assembly. Or, at the very least, within one or two pedal applications, the switch assembly will reposition itself properly.

Not so with the original switch. For some reason, the switch would hold whatever position we would move it to. Move it up, it stays up, twist it back down, it'll stay down (and bye-bye taillights, since you'd need incredible braking pressure to trip the contact).

So, here's something to check (it's easier to remove the under-dash panel, otherwise you'll need to do the belly-up position to get under the dash):

Moving the switch either upwards or downwards should result in the whole switch assembly just rotating itself back into the proper orientation, either immediately or within a pedal application or two, tops. If it stays put, have a close look at the switch operation by looking at the taillights' reflection while manually actuating the brakes with your hands. Make sure the engine is on, because one of the symptoms is the brake lights turning off and staying off as you slowly release pressure on the brake pedal... to check this, you need the engine providing vacuum assist.

That should be it. If the switch behaves funky and refuses to return to the normal position, it's time to swap it out.

I still think it's a ^#%%@$%#%$^ design, if you ask me....