PDA

View Full Version : To all of you centrifugal owners and soon to be

Motorhead350
09-29-2009, 11:05 PM
One of the reasons I was hesitant on getting one was because of the tubing popping off as it happened with me in my K5. Yes it had a Vortech for a little while. I was feeling let down on the power a little dispite running 12.7 @109mph.

Last time I went to Zack he noticed my tubing was loose by the intake manifold. So he loosened it, we pushed it back up and tightned it. Now the car feels stupid fast and it's probably up to 10 or 12 psi like it should be.

The car now lights up the tires without using the brake. (It did in the first place, but not like this.) It was burning rubber up to 40mph today and I actually had to let off because I was starting to run off the road. With slicks I predict this car will run a 12.2 right where I want it to be if everything is right.

Zack still says he has some tweeking to do eventhough I think it's fine... I'll still let him have it for a day or two so he can point out the five things I missed.

Check those tubes people.

Roots will seal better, but I broke two of those on my K5... that's why I didn't bother.

Things might not be so bad after all. I need one more run before the year is over!!!

Embassy
09-30-2009, 05:00 AM
My tuner and I found a similar leak around the TB and the rubber tubing.

What a difference checking and tightening your connecting clamps can make, right Dom?

Glad to hear things are progressing. :burnout:

BODYMAN
09-30-2009, 05:11 AM
That is for sure I havent had a problem with this one but MY KB-S was always popping plumbing loose!

Pat
09-30-2009, 06:11 AM
I Can agree with you there Dom,

Zack noticed my SC inlet elbow was cocked over and leaking air at the last Louisville GTG.

Regards,

DOOM
09-30-2009, 06:21 AM
That sucks.
Is there any type of permanent fix for the problem???

Pops
09-30-2009, 06:27 AM
Check the clamps every so often! As the motor torques around things seem to move. I had this issue with my car. It ran so rich it would hardly run. Found the air leak and fixed it and instant repair of the problem. If you own them you are going to have to work on them once in awhile!:)

DOOM
09-30-2009, 06:34 AM
One less thing for me to worry about. :sweat:

-Matt-
09-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Super glue!!!

BODYMAN
09-30-2009, 01:22 PM
One less thing for me to worry about. :sweat:

yeah but DOOM didnt you see POPS list of mods it says way faster then DOOM,he,he,he,he

FormulaMarauder
10-02-2009, 09:04 AM
The Vortech DR kit has THREE pipes, all within easy grasp. (Tubes, lol) There are some kits that have an upward of 12 !!!!!
I havent had any problems with coupler blow out as of yet after countless dyno pulls and track runs.

RR|Suki
10-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I have 4 charge pipe sections and my inlet system is homemade... I dunno how or why you would even need 12 :eek:

blazen71
10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
I have 4 charge pipe sections and my inlet system is homemade... I dunno how or why you would even need 12 :eek:

Procharger piping is made up of universal piping :(

RR|Suki
10-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Procharger piping is made up of universal piping :(

So is mine, all stuff I got on ebay...

MarauderTJA
10-02-2009, 01:13 PM
That sucks.
Is there any type of permanent fix for the problem???

Buy the expensive hose clamps and you never have a problem. I will have to look up the names of the clamps when i get home from this California trip. Cost is about $5.00 each if I remember correctly.

Marauderjack
10-02-2009, 02:09 PM
I tightened mine with a 1/4 inch ratchet and in the 4 years it has been on have never had a leak or blown a hose off??:confused:

I also used synthetic grease on all connections so I can get them apart when I need too!!:beer:

RR|Suki
10-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Buy the expensive hose clamps and you never have a problem.

truth stainless T-bolt clamps are the boss

justbob
10-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Can the bands be torqued? In plumbing we use a T handle torque wrench factory set at 60" pounds for what's called no hub (pipe without hubs) pipe couplings. They are made almost the exact way with regular radiator type clamps. When torqued you could (but not recommended for obvious reasons) hang a 80 pound 10' piece of pipe verticaly in the air by another using only the cheap rubber coupling.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Torque-Wrenches#

MarauderTJA
10-02-2009, 02:34 PM
truth stainless T-bolt clamps are the boss

Thats it. And yes they can be torqued. They are wide and hold solid. In my case under 18 lbs of boost without any problems.

scruff
10-02-2009, 08:38 PM
i got my turbo clamps from a heavy truck parts dealer while there not cheap they are worth the money and they never come loose,,if there good enough for kenworth good enough for a S/C setup

dohc324ci
10-02-2009, 09:03 PM
The Vortech DR kit has THREE pipes, all within easy grasp. (Tubes, lol) There are some kits that have an upward of 12 !!!!!
I havent had any problems with coupler blow out as of yet after countless dyno pulls and track runs.

Thats good to know because once spring rolls around I am getting my DR SC kit:D