PDA

View Full Version : Exploring another exhaust option

FordNut
10-23-2003, 02:49 PM
Well, I just ordered the goodies to try a different cat-back system. Gonna try the Edelbrock RPM mufflers. They're stainless and similar to glass-packs or turbo mufflers, but the packing is ceramic instead of fiberglass so it should last much longer than the standard glass-packs. Also ordered a Bassani x-pipe. It is a splayed (wide) x-pipe only and has to be welded in the system. It's all 2-1/2" and will be connected with mandrel-bent 2-1/2" stainless pipe. The outlets of the mufflers will be welded to the OEM 2-1/4" tailpipes with OEM resonator tips. I'll be connecting to the OEM cats at the fittings and leaving the short section of pipe from the cats to the new system as it is (2"). Later on, I'll put in the Kook's headers and high flow cats that will have flanges in the OEM locations.

Added: Forgot to say the inlet connections to the mufflers will be done with band clamps so the x-pipe can be easily removed for tranny mods (torque converter).

TAF
10-23-2003, 03:09 PM
Sounds GREAT Brian!!!

Mine will be re-done by the time you head down next month, as well.

and to think...

I remember a year and a half ago, when folks were saying...

"there's no real improvements with changing the exhaust"

wait till you see my #s....

Constable
10-23-2003, 03:20 PM
The Edelbrock RPM series is nice... my friend has them on his 96 SS. Real nice deep tone. The construction is very similar to that of my Dynomax UltraFlo's. Good luck with the setup.

Marauderman
10-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by TAF
Sounds GREAT Brian!!!

Mine will be re-done by the time you head down next month, as well.

and to think...

I remember a year and a half ago, when folks were saying...

"there's no real improvements with changing the exhaust"

wait till you see my #s....

OHHHHHHHHHHH--So the secret is out huh!! Couldn't wait to talk about it --well--See--I told you I would find out----

FordNut
11-17-2003, 03:20 PM
OK, now that the x-pipe and mufflers are done I'm making 270 rwhp. Just ordered the Kook's headers. Looking for 300 rwhp. Watch out Todd, here I come!!

BTW, The Kook's headers are now being made with stainless. A little more expensive, but I think it's worth it.

Macon Marauder
11-17-2003, 03:23 PM
Hail to the hardy pioneers!
Great news. I'm jealous!

MSR7878
11-17-2003, 03:30 PM
This summer just for fun I had my mufflers removed, I was going to just have it like that for a few weeks, but now I'll never go back. The sound is awesome, but not unruly loud. My numbers really didn't change though.

TAF
11-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by FordNut
OK, now that the x-pipe and mufflers are done I'm making 270 rwhp. Just ordered the Kook's headers. Looking for 300 rwhp. Watch out Todd, here I come!!

BTW, The Kook's headers are now being made with stainless. A little more expensive, but I think it's worth it.

Alright Brian...I'm looking forward to those numbers with the KOOKs...since you're only 30 RWHP away...and there is *cough**cough* 50 RWHP "reported" *cough**cough* I'm still looking for those #s around here somewhere...just can't seem to find them...you should blow right by my 285RWHP & 319RWTQ...

Hey...if I'm going to "lose" the "most powerful N/A Marauder" title...it might as well be to a friend like you.:up: