PDA

View Full Version : Money ruins racing

Motorhead350
10-06-2009, 11:37 PM
The subject I am discussing is racing for money. We all know it's illegal, some of us have done it and I have to admit I have won and lost cash to racing. I have now balanced out my winnings and losses so I have decided I am done with it.

When I wanna race I just wanna do it and have fun. I noticed when I go to the strip sometimes and all the time street racing people see this as more then racing. They are always out to screw each other. Instead of going out to race, they are going out to gamble. This will take so long that getting a race locked in will sometimes take hours! I know those older than me know exactly what I am talking about and a few my age might know too.

It becomes a business more than an enjoyment. What's the point of any business? The answer is one word: PROFIT. They all compete to take the other ones money. Lying, telling someone that their car is slow, they need space, the car won't hook on these tires, they need the hit... anything you can think of.

When I go out to the track, I even find people that don't wanna race until I say it's just for kicks, then they are all for it. Why can't we all just have fun and race? Maybe it's because of the times and some people know they can take money from others if they plan out the race just right and react just right. I remember last summer two cars that were staging for 45 minutes (on the street) and one kept trying to steal the hit (take off first) and these cars were doing it for 45 minutes. One would leave the other would stay, it's not a race if only one car goes.

Does anyone else notice this or is it just me? I know racing for money has been around as long as racing has, but this it just getting outta control. If you don't wanna race for money, no one is interested in racing anymore... off the track unless it's at a stop light.

Thoughts? Observations?

vkirkend
10-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Do it at the track and it eliminates that problem. Its also legal.

ctrlraven
10-07-2009, 10:19 AM
^^^ Yep, nothing wrong with a friendly side bet between two friends at the track but that's the only place it should happen.

Joe Walsh
10-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Dom,
That is the way street racing has always worked....you try to get the best race you can and not give away too much about your car.
That's why there are 'sleepers', cheater NOS bottles, etc.

Easy remedy;
Don't go to, nor participate in, street races!

I race for fun, not money........at the track.

Vortech347
10-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Thats pretty damn funny, myself and others told you that trying to hustle people isn't going to get you very far with a high 12 second car.

Motorhead350
10-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Thats pretty damn funny, myself and others told you that trying to hustle people isn't going to get you very far with a high 12 second car.

It's balanced out like I said.

Vortech347
10-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Consider yourself extremely lucky.

Motorhead350
10-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Consider yourself extremely lucky.

I do everyday my friend.

RacerX
10-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Consider yourself lucky! Before you were born, it was for pinks! You walked home! No car!!! :D I grew up in socal. I noticed when I was a kid, unless you were a real grease monkey, you didn't race on the streets for real unless it was for pinks. If you lost, it was for real, you give the car or you get shot. (Mojave).

Crown Vicman
10-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Well its better than betting pinks right?