PDA

View Full Version : A new record for me. Finally!!!

Motorhead350
10-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Today was perfect for racing. low 50s temperature and a good hooking track. I was supposed to meet Zack and others at noon today, but didn't get there until 2... I had to drive someone home that was going to go to the track with me. Soon as I got there I found Justbob (literally! haha) and I started changing the tires on the car. Zack stopped by to say hello and went off to figure out how to get his car home. After I got the racing tires on the car I went to the staging lanes.

At US 41 I always keep my hood closed and make sure the car runs with "no clock" but today I didn't care. I am done with street racing so I let the hood stay open upon waiting to race and told everyone anything they wanted to know about the car. It was a lot more fun that way. ;) A friend of mine who used to set up street races for me stopped by and said "Why is is your hood open? Close it." I was like "I'm done street racing. Don't bother trying to hustle anyone anymore. I've already told everyone what it runs and what it has." At that point he walked away from me, never to see or talk to me for the rest of the day. Some friend he turned out to be. :bs:

When I was about ready to race I called Zack (he had left for a few minutes) to ask him if the car would be ok with the slicks on the street tune. He told me it would be a waste of time to go down the track like that... so I did it anyway. My run was 12.6 @ 109 without correcting the car. I met up with Zack after the run and he asked me if I gave it full throttle since he told me not so. Of course I did. "Are you stupid?!" Zack said. "Yeah and I love every minute of it!" My response. :lol: "Here homo." Zack said and the tune was corrected for the smaller racing tires.

After that correction I went down the track to run 14.2 @ 109mph due to the xmas tree lights not working on my side. I creped forward and red lighted and just sat for a second since I watched the other guys lights. :mad: The track has been known for errors with lights like that. Oh well. Finally I was able to make one final run with no time for race gas. I was set to run against a high 12 second car and my car ran 12.3 @ 109 mph! :eek: This was on pump gas and at US 41. My car always runs .2 to .3 seconds slower at US 41 than any other track. Maybe it was prepped the right way today or the car was finally running right. A few weeks ago Zack found the leak from my pipes and said his new tune would give me more power. Boy was he right. To this day I don't know how or why he still puts up with me. Maybe he's a good guy after all. Well I know he is anyway... ok sorry off topic! With race gas Zack predicts it will run 11.8 and if US 41 was it's usual way it could run 11.5 with race gas at Byron or Da Grove.

After that run I was changing the tires to go home and people kept walking by asking about the car. One guy was really happy for me since he put his money on me! :D One guy other told me it's a race car and I pointed to the leafs by the windshield wiper by and said "It's as street car as you can get. Not like some of these cars that say they are street cars when they are really race cars with license plates." I loaded up the slicks and jumped a set of railroad tracks on the way out. It wasn't too high... think of the beginning of Vanishing Point, LITERALLY. I was blasting The Beastie Boys song Rhyming And Stealing. Why I mention this is because just as the car got in the air it lead up to the 2:00 mark in the song... LISTEN TO THIS. It was perfect!!! Especially leading up to the jump!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdutu8sWmbQ&feature=related

When I left I went to get fuel and all the drag racers were getting fuel for their trucks with their race cars on their trailers. It was a pretty cool feeling. Their fun ends at 5pm, mine keeps going and going and going. :burnout: Last week I was at one of my all time lows. I lost my girl and my job in the same week and things really turned around. Still no job, no girl, but I don't care. I was thinking about what to do. Do I struggle for the next few months on what's saved or do I go out with a bang? I went out with a bang, but I'm not broke either. I just decided to quit feeling sorry for myself and just enjoy myself while I can and I sure did. Even if I went broke tonight, I would be happy if I did running that time.

I think I finally understand Martyo when he said his car kept him sane from work. I hated my job and was doing it to be nice. Now that that's gone, the girlfriend that turned annoying is gone, it's all good. Today made my day and it was a great weekend anyway.

Last night the car was loaded with a complete drum kit, 250 watt Marshall amp and two guitars for a gig. Today it was loaded with MT's for the track. What a car! Use it when you have it and don't ever think twice about having fun. Go out and enjoy while you can, no matter what.

I might have results from race gas before the year is over. I will do my best!

Special thinks to Zack for helping with everything and Justbob for the tires.

justbob
10-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Give her my phone number...

Oh yeah. CONGRATS!

DOOM
10-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Way to go Dom. :up:
I see you're catching up to me. :D

dohc324ci
10-18-2009, 08:45 PM
"I think I finally understand Martyo when he said his car kept him sane from work. I hated my job and was doing it to be nice. Now that that's gone, the girlfriend that turned annoying is gone, it's all good. Today made my day and it was a great weekend anyway."

This hobby really does keep your mind off crap that goes on in life.......NICE run man I am envious.

TAKEDOWN
10-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Awesome job Dom... Wish I was there to see it!

cvpiftw
10-18-2009, 11:22 PM
This hobby really does keep your mind off crap that goes on in life.......NICE run man I am envious.
Trust me. Ive been going nuts since i lost my ride. No more small pissy part installs, no more waxing or caring for it. Just drive it.

Congrats dom. Im glad to hear the car is runnin well.

LOWBUCKMM
10-19-2009, 05:31 PM
sweet run man wish me and bob would have stayed there to watch. i guess im gunning for you next. so far my best time is 12.7 @108.

CBT
10-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Nice.
Highjack alert: Hey I've noticed this before but never really asked. How the hell am I not seeing TODAYS posts when I click on todays posts? I read stuff like this a freakin day after it's posted.

Glenn
10-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Great job Dom - keep it up. :banana2:

Glenn Ford :beer:

ImpalaSlayer
10-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Nice.
Highjack alert: Hey I've noticed this before but never really asked. How the hell am I not seeing TODAYS posts when I click on todays posts? I read stuff like this a freakin day after it's posted.

that ahppened to me once earlyer but not since? maybe you fail and i only semi fail ??? :dunno:

babbage
10-19-2009, 06:42 PM
nice runs. 12.3 is very good. hope you find a job soon - and one you like!

LANDY
10-19-2009, 08:30 PM
wow those are intense runs guys. motorhead350 and lowbuckmm.

LANDY
10-19-2009, 08:32 PM
sweet run man wish me and bob would have stayed there to watch. i guess im gunning for you next. so far my best time is 12.7 @108.was that on the 125 shot?
did you ever get a bottle heater and a tune?