PDA

View Full Version : Roll bar questions and rules?

Motorhead350
10-23-2009, 12:02 AM
As some of you know I am running 12.3 right now on pump gas. If I take this car to a better track it will probably run 12.0 and with racing gas it could possibly go 11.5 and that's if everything goes right.

I remember the rules for a bar (not a cage) where 11.99 and below you had to have a roll bar. I think these days it's 11.59, but I am not sure. I was thinking of putting in a roll bar if I actually get the car down to 11.5 so I am not banned from any track... I bet some of you weren't expecting that from me. ;)

I have been looking at four point roll bars and it looks like some of the bar will cross over behind the two front seats. I guess I wouldn't be able to recline them anymore when I wanna take a nap. Also I'm guessing a bar will have to go across the second row entry by the step panels. Sounds like this will not be as easy to keep a street car, but that's not what I had in mind.

I want to know if that is the case for a four point roll bar... crossing over behind the 2 buckets and ruining entry to the second row. Also is there a bar that is like a pickup trucks roll bar? One that doesn't go across the middle? I am guessing it's not as safe.

Finally what would I expect to pay for a roll bar, with the light weight, solid steel? Is it steel?

I hardly know what I am talking about. Please let me know.

BTW does this actually seem worth it, even if 11.5 will happen once in a great while as suppose to all the time? I am also guessing with the additional weight of the bar the car will go to 11.7 or 11.8 with the roll bar once it is in if the car was doing 11.5 without it.

Thoughts?

FordNut
10-23-2009, 05:27 AM
11.49, and you've got a good ways to go to get there.

Pops
10-23-2009, 05:33 AM
As Fordnut said! Worry about it when you get there Dom. You will need to spend more on the driveline first such as a good shortblock and many other things. Most legal roll bars cost 2 to 3 thousand installed.

Joe Walsh
10-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Get kicked off the track for running too fast then worry about a roll bar.

Besides you'll have to run two 11.49 runs for the track's tech official to boot you.

mpearce
10-23-2009, 06:57 AM
11.50s is a dream if you're on the stock motor. There are people on here with huge HP compared to you, and some of them aren't running 11.50's even with spray! Take CRUZTAKER for example. 11.66 on Nitrous...forged motor, Vortech, same basic set up as you. Just because you use race gas dosen't all of a sudden mean you're going to drop .8 tenths. I'd worry about breaking into the 11's first before you even consider a roll bar in your daily driver.

Motorhead350
10-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Just because you use race gas dosen't all of a sudden mean you're going to drop .8 tenths. I'd worry about breaking into the 11's first before you even consider a roll bar in your daily driver.

No. The car might drop .5 seconds and being that US 41 it could probably drop .2 to .3 seconds even on pump which could bring me down to 11.5. But sounds like I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks guys.

RR|Suki
10-23-2009, 12:07 PM
That's just conjecture until the car actually does it, I agree with the others wait till the car can do it for sure then worry.

mpearce
10-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Go ahead and use race gas. Lean on that motor all you want. You won't run 11.50. The only way you'll get close is if your boy runs your car for you. You never answered if you're on stock internals, or forged internals.

Like I said...focus on actually getting into the 11's...before you focus on getting a full half second into the 11's. Look at the timeslip page...11.50's on a Marauder are for built motors, superchargers, and nitrous.

Right now...I'd venture to guess I'm the fastest stock block, single power adder (blower only) Marauder. If I'm wrong...and someones faster...it dosen't really matter. I bent over backwards to run 11.7's...and my tune is still relatively safe IMO.

Baby steps first Dom. Go for 11's, then see what it takes to get into the 11.50's.

Good luck.

NATEHAWK
10-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Go ahead and use race gas. Lean on that motor all you want. You won't run 11.50. The only way you'll get close is if your boy runs your car for you. You never answered if you're on stock internals, or forged internals.

Like I said...focus on actually getting into the 11's...before you focus on getting a full half second into the 11's. Look at the timeslip page...11.50's on a Marauder are for built motors, superchargers, and nitrous.

Right now...I'd venture to guess I'm the fastest stock block, single power adder (blower only) Marauder. If I'm wrong...and someones faster...it dosen't really matter. I bent over backwards to run 11.7's...and my tune is still relatively safe IMO.

Baby steps first Dom. Go for 11's, then see what it takes to get into the 11.50's.

Good luck.

Stay tuned grasshopper if it wasnt for all this damn rain we been getting I would have been made a few passes... :burnout:

ImpalaSlayer
10-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Stay tuned grasshopper if it wasnt for all this damn rain we been getting I would have been made a few passes... :burnout:

ill be joining you or blowing it up trying haha

RR|Suki
10-23-2009, 04:11 PM
ill be joining you or blowing it up trying haha

There are plenty of guys out there who can give you a tow home :D Put on those DRs and let her rip

mpearce
10-23-2009, 04:14 PM

Good luck finding some cold air. I made my run at 50* and got a great 60'ft. Unfortunately the tracks are just winding up for the season up here...so that's my last run of the year.

Go for it Nate! Good luck.

:beer:

ImpalaSlayer
10-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Good luck finding some cold air. I made my run at 50* and got a great 60'ft. Unfortunately the tracks are just winding up for the season up here...so that's my last run of the year.

Go for it Nate! Good luck.

:beer:

close is oct????? LAME! we get to race untill DEC here in cam land! we find plenty of cold air!

mpearce
10-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Summit Motorsports park closed up their test and tunes the first week of October. Milan Dragway in Michigan will have one more NO ET Nationals the first week of November. The other crappy local track closes for the year the first week of November. By the 3rd week of November we'll have snow here. Thats the price we pay for living in Cleveland, and being downwind of Lake Erie. Once the snow machine starts, it's all over.

RR|Suki
10-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Summit Motorsports park closed up their test and tunes the first week of October. Milan Dragway in Michigan will have one more NO ET Nationals the first week of November. The other crappy local track closes for the year the first week of November. By the 3rd week of November we'll have snow here. Thats the price we pay for living in Cleveland, and being downwind of Lake Erie. Once the snow machine starts, it's all over.

I hear that, I dunno why I live in this state sometimes :lol:

Motorhead350
10-23-2009, 08:17 PM
My engine is stock yes.

Either way I just wanna see what it does with race gas. If it runs 11 anything it's way more than I expected and I'll be one happy camper! I already am with the low 12s.

mpearce
10-24-2009, 05:43 AM
My engine is stock yes.

Either way I just wanna see what it does with race gas. If it runs 11 anything it's way more than I expected and I'll be one happy camper! I already am with the low 12s.

Good luck dude. You'll be totally psyched with an 11 second timeslip.

Blown3.8
10-24-2009, 01:47 PM
You'll need atleast 5 points. And it can still be totally streetable, with rear passengers. The lay the seat all the way back will be your biggest problem.

Paul T. Casey
10-24-2009, 03:28 PM
A roll bar will be made from Chrome/Molly Steel. It is a steel alloy. Chromium and Molybdeium (sic) are added to a low carbon steel for added strength and corrosion resistance. It will be hollow (3" diameter steel rod, better known as round stock) would be quite heavy, about a pound for every 1/4 inch of length). I've seen setups where the support bars are hinged to swing out of the way for easier entry. You will have to take your naps either on your couch, or in an upright position once you add this mod. Prior to forking over the big bucks for a cage, I would look into a large Kevlar blanket. You're more likely to get struck by flying engine debris in your quest for cage track times on your stock internal motor than flipping the car on the big end. Besides, wouldn't a cage make yours a "race car" and not a "real car?"

Motorhead350
10-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Besides, wouldn't a cage make yours a "race car" and not a "real car?"

Nope. Mine would still be used all the time. A race car to me only sees the track and the only time it's on a street is when it's being towed down one. Mine would still be a "street car" so to say.

FormulaMarauder
10-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Putting five gallons of high octane fuel in an otherwise empty tank will do nothing but make your car SLOWER. You need to adjust the timing and get a dyno tune to compensate properly. It's not as easy of just filling the tank. Even then you will never drop half a second by just adding gas and a tune.

Motorhead350
10-29-2009, 12:49 AM
You need to adjust the timing and get a dyno tune to compensate properly.

One word... Zack. ;)