PDA

View Full Version : Vortec Mustang GT at the track.

Green96
10-26-2009, 07:23 PM
So, a friend from work has been wanting to take his 2001 Mustang GT with Vortec S/C to the Muncie dragway for a long time now. He finally went last week after pumping me for information (apparently my 1 time racing at the last MV makes me a veteran). Well apparently he forgot a large part of what I told him and managed to run an embarrassing 14.8 sec 1/4. He skipped the water box like I told him since he was running street tires, but he forgot to do any burnout at all. He could not figure out why he couldn't hook up. I have him straightened out, and he is trying to get me to go with him this week to try again.

If he can get it hooked up he should smoke me with something in the low 13s or high 12s. If he messes up again I can say I smoked a supercharged Mustang:burnout:.

Anything else I need to tell someone with a S/C car?

FormulaMarauder
10-26-2009, 07:33 PM
no burnout with street tires. all it does is kill his tread. street tires dont have the compound that slicks or cheater slicks or ET's do. he needs to lower his preload if auto, or ease into his launch if manual.

ImpalaSlayer
10-26-2009, 07:36 PM
no burnout with street tires. all it does is kill his tread. street tires dont have the compound that slicks or cheater slicks or ET's do. he needs to lower his preload if auto, or ease into his launch if manual.

i was told the same but always hooked better after i did a small burnout. basically, just enought to make a little smoke

LANDY
10-26-2009, 07:53 PM
but that was also a mustang.
you guys know how tail happy they get. (SC).

RR|Suki
10-26-2009, 08:48 PM
i was told the same but always hooked better after i did a small burnout. basically, just enought to make a little smoke

I hear that, I always need a little heat in the street tires or it's extra terrible instead of normal terrible :lol:

LOWBUCKMM
10-26-2009, 09:14 PM
i just spin my street tires to clean them off. and i roll out of it and not just let off the gas. so all in all i spin them slightly and let off the break and then the tires hook by them self. and with that i have gotten 1.9 60'. but if he has a manual slip the clutch i know it sounds bad but it works with street tires.

dohc324ci
10-26-2009, 09:30 PM
This is good to know so when I go down to Sacramento Raceway...I am not that clueless...lol

offroadking208
10-26-2009, 10:10 PM
So, a friend from work has been wanting to take his 2001 Mustang GT with Vortec S/C to the Muncie dragway for a long time now. He finally went last week after pumping me for information (apparently my 1 time racing at the last MV makes me a veteran). Well apparently he forgot a large part of what I told him and managed to run an embarrassing 14.8 sec 1/4. He skipped the water box like I told him since he was running street tires, but he forgot to do any burnout at all. He could not figure out why he couldn't hook up. I have him straightened out, and he is trying to get me to go with him this week to try again.

If he can get it hooked up he should smoke me with something in the low 13s or high 12s. If he messes up again I can say I smoked a supercharged Mustang:burnout:.

Anything else I need to tell someone with a S/C car?

Hey Patrick,
The dragway is still open? if you guys want a third i'd be happy to join. i am not satisfied with my one pass down the track, lol

Green96
10-27-2009, 03:10 AM
i just spin my street tires to clean them off. and i roll out of it and not just let off the gas. so all in all i spin them slightly and let off the break and then the tires hook by them self. and with that i have gotten 1.9 60'. but if he has a manual slip the clutch i know it sounds bad but it works with street tires.

Yeah, I had told him to roll them over just a little until they hook up to clean them off. He forgot obviously. He has a manual so I will advise him to slip it a little on launch. He got out of the throttle to try to hook up, but still felt like he was spinning most of the way down. I don't think he really was, he would not have managed a 14.8 if he was spinning all the way down.

Green96
10-27-2009, 03:16 AM
Hey Patrick,
The dragway is still open? if you guys want a third i'd be happy to join. i am not satisfied with my one pass down the track, lol

You are welcome to come but I am not sure yet if I am going or not. He said it was packed last week, and I think this is the last week so it may be even worse. He only got one try because someone blew their engine after him and coated the whole length with oil. They had to shut down too long for him and he left after his first dismal pass.

Last week he got out there around 5:30. If you go look for a stripped down GT with the lowest option wheels. Except for the badge and the wide tires he has on it it looks like a V6 model. His name is Richard, tall, Hispanic looking (I think he is actually from Puerto Rico).

Bradley G
10-27-2009, 03:52 AM
Get the rear tire pressure way down and no water, just get them cleaned off.
On street tires, That may be all it's worth

offroadkarter
10-27-2009, 12:58 PM

And it helps to knock any road debris or other crap off your tires

Better than running on cold tires. Plus the crowd loves a burnout :D

bob6364
10-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Always turn tire...if its a street tire just a couple revs to clean them is all you need,never drive thru the water even if you have slicks,I know some places make you like Atco in jersy, when you drive thru your front tires drag water to the staging area and ruin it for the guys with slicks....

Green96
10-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Well, he made it down to 12.9 before is clutch gave out. He was starting to pick up a little pinging also. I told him to investigate the rear cooling mod, that applies to 2V motors also doesn't it? He does not have an inter-cooler, so I suspect heat problems causing the detonation after a few runs.