PDA

View Full Version : 8 rib setup?

ntd
10-31-2009, 11:47 AM
On the suggestion of dohc324ci I started my own thread and sorry to moongoose for :hijack:. I'm trying to figure out How to prevent or lessen the chance of belt slip on supercharged setups. I'm looking at installing a v1 T-trim. I found this on the mach 1 forums http://www.slugbitchracing.com/8.rib.conversion.htm

If it works on a mach should work on a Marauder right :confused:. To you guys that have had a problems with belt slip what have you done.:help:

ImpalaSlayer
10-31-2009, 01:32 PM
On the suggestion of dohc324ci I started my own thread and sorry to moongoose for :hijack:. I'm trying to figure out How to prevent or lessen the chance of belt slip on supercharged setups. I'm looking at installing a v1 T-trim. I found this on the mach 1 forums http://www.slugbitchracing.com/8.rib.conversion.htm

If it works on a mach should work on a Marauder right :confused:. To you guys that have had a problems with belt slip what have you done.:help:

buy an eaton and get an 8 rib by default! :D

ntd
10-31-2009, 01:55 PM
buy an eaton and get an 8 rib by default! :D

You Eaton boys just don't ever stop recruiting do you:D. I still haven't ruled out using an Eaton to start and upgrading later to a twin screw. Trying to do all my home work first;)

ImpalaSlayer
10-31-2009, 01:57 PM
You Eaton boys just don't ever stop recruiting do you:D. I still haven't ruled out using an Eaton to start and upgrading later to a twin screw. Trying to do all my home work first;)

the thought of removing my puny eaton and slapping on a whipple is what sold me

FordNut
10-31-2009, 05:56 PM
I had a custom 8-rib conversion on my ProCharger D1SC setup. You couldn't buy a kit back in those days. A Mach1 8-rib kit should work just fine on the Marauder. There are still a couple of weak points. One of them is the tensioner, a problem which is easily corrected with another aftermarket part which wasn't available back in those days. It's an upgraded single-bolt tensioner from ThumpRRRacing, but it's really expensive. The other is something you'll have to engineer for yourself if it becomes a problem for you. It consists of an idler pulley mounted between the alternator and the power steering pump. If you watch a centrifugally blown Marauder on the dyno you'll see the belt bouncing a lot in that long section between the alternator and the PS pump. An extra idler in that section will take care of that. I used to have one but I sold it to Randy (local boy) awhile back.

Another approach is to change the timing cover to the early style, '96-'99 Cobra and '93-up MkVIII cover. The tensioner is much stronger on that cover and a steel tensioner is available from Ford for it. But even the steel tensioner can be wrecked, so ThumpRRRacing has an upgraded one for that cover too. It still has the long belt section between the alternator and ps pump too.

The problems occur with big boost, usually when you let off the throttle. The belt stretches more & more while you're into the throttle and the tensioner takes up the slack. Then you shut the throttle and all that excess belt stretch that the tensioner has taken up goes away. SLAM, the tensioner goes into the travel limiting stop and the belt bends or breaks the tensioner, then the belt shreds or comes off the pulleys and you call a wrecker.

dohc324ci
10-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Although I dont have the DR Vortech (yet..lol) I was considering budgeting the 8 rib pulley system to resolve this issue. But this maybe an alternative. You guys ever hear of them?

www.carbiniteracing.com (http://www.carbiniteracing.com/)

In the December issue of MM&FF p.160 GET A GRIP.

FordNut
10-31-2009, 06:31 PM
I just looked at the list linked in the first post of the thread... Most of that looks ok, except I wouldn't change the water pump pulley (which also requires a different pump), I would just have the lip shaved off the oem pulley. Instead of the crank pulley, you could switch to an Innovators West pulley which is SFI approved and is available in a 10% overdrive size. I also don't see what they're doing for a single-bolt tensioner, so the list may be only valid for the early style timing cover.

FordNut
10-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Although I dont have the DR Vortech (yet..lol) I was considering budgeting the 8 rib pulley system to resolve this issue. But this maybe an alternative. You guys ever hear of them?

Might help, but keep in mind that any of the gripper type pulleys will cause lots of belt dust and reduce belt life.

ntd
10-31-2009, 06:39 PM
I had a custom 8-rib conversion on my ProCharger D1SC setup. You couldn't buy a kit back in those days. A Mach1 8-rib kit should work just fine on the Marauder. There are still a couple of weak points. One of them is the tensioner, a problem which is easily corrected with another aftermarket part which wasn't available back in those days. It's an upgraded single-bolt tensioner from ThumpRRRacing, but it's really expensive. The other is something you'll have to engineer for yourself if it becomes a problem for you. It consists of an idler pulley mounted between the alternator and the power steering pump. If you watch a centrifugally blown Marauder on the dyno you'll see the belt bouncing a lot in that long section between the alternator and the PS pump. An extra idler in that section will take care of that. I used to have one but I sold it to Randy (local boy) awhile back.

Another approach is to change the timing cover to the early style, '96-'99 Cobra and '93-up MkVIII cover. The tensioner is much stronger on that cover and a steel tensioner is available from Ford for it. But even the steel tensioner can be wrecked, so ThumpRRRacing has an upgraded one for that cover too. It still has the long belt section between the alternator and ps pump too.

The problems occur with big boost, usually when you let off the throttle. The belt stretches more & more while you're into the throttle and the tensioner takes up the slack. Then you shut the throttle and all that excess belt stretch that the tensioner has taken up goes away. SLAM, the tensioner goes into the travel limiting stop and the belt bends or breaks the tensioner, then the belt shreds or comes off the pulleys and you call a wrecker.
I cant remember if it was here or the mach1 forums but I saw someone put an idler pulley there to solve this problem I'll search for it later. I was also reading a thread on modular forums that thump racing tensioner wouldn't fit under the supercharger mounting bracket

I have heard and read that high traction pulleys will eat belt really fast. Especially when your under heavy boost then let off the belt will shred. To avoid all this you need more surface area and frequent belt changes.

Do the roots and twin screw guys have all these belt problems?

FordNut
10-31-2009, 07:17 PM
I cant remember if it was here or the mach1 forums but I saw someone put an idler pulley there to solve this problem I'll search for it later. I was also reading a thread on modular forums that thump racing tensioner wouldn't fit under the supercharger mounting bracket

They revised it, the new version fits.

Do the roots and twin screw guys have all these belt problems?

Depends. If it's a KB Mach1 kit, the belt is similar to the centrifugal setup, using a singel belt to drive the blower as well as accessories. With big boost, they have belt problems. If it's a Trilogy or a Cobra conversion style setup there is a separate belt for the blower only (except for the tensioner). This setup may have some minor belt slip issues in some cases, but mostly it's a reliable setup.

RR|Suki
10-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Should need a cage before belt slip becomes a big deal