PDA

View Full Version : Transmission stutters?

timfromme
11-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Hi People,
I think my transmission is acting up ?? I have 62K on my Marauder now. When I go up a hill, my car stutters around 30-35 mph with OD off. Below 30 mph its ok. Above 35 mph its ok. I went up the hill several times to check it out. I haven't had this problem before. Feels like the engine is missing under a load. Same problem with wide open throttle on the interstate. Feels like its missing. Its not a smooth acceleration; hesitation is present. I changed the fuel filter and spark plugs when this happened. Also thrown in STP fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. Still same problem. I haven't had a transmission flush or filter change in the tranny yet. Gonna do that next. Any advise from anyone? Any help would be appreciated. My Marauder is my baby. Next step would be the Mercury dealership to check her out. Thanks, Tim

Darrin
11-01-2009, 07:01 AM
I would more want to think that this isn't as likely to be the transmission as perhaps something like a bad coil pack causing a missfire. It's a very common problem that unfortunately often gets misdiagnosed.

Darrin

UncleLar
11-01-2009, 07:26 AM
They just replaced FOUR COP's on mine under the extended warranty,one went totally dead and 3 more were intermittent.They had to do some kind of load test to find the intermittent ones.

timfromme
11-01-2009, 11:05 PM
I think it is the engine, happens under a load or wide open throttle, when it misses. Wouldn't the check engine lite come on for that? If not, would a trouble code still be present stating which cylinders were not firing? I cannot afford a set of 8 Coils at the moment.

imorb1994
11-02-2009, 02:11 AM
I think it is the engine, happens under a load or wide open throttle, when it misses. Wouldn't the check engine lite come on for that? If not, would a trouble code still be present stating which cylinders were not firing? I cannot afford a set of 8 Coils at the moment.
Mine did the same thing your MM is doing. Most likely the check engine light will not come on for it. Took Mine on a 1600 mile trip, and missed the whole time and never set a code. I ended up finding a set of used(OEM) coils on Ebay dirt cheap and cured the problem.

Also you should have the trans flushed and filter changed. If i remeber correctly it is supposed to be done every 30k miles. So its a little past due for that.

RF Overlord
11-02-2009, 06:42 PM
^^^what they said^^^

If it does it at WOT, it's not transmission shudder. Go to AutoZone and get the codes read anyway...you may have pending codes that haven't set the CEL yet.

If you haven't had the transmission fluid changed in 62k, do it ASAP.

timfromme
11-04-2009, 06:06 AM
Will do the trans flush and filter as soon as possible. Will see about replacing COP's too. Checked AutoZone for a scan. Their scan tool has been broken for a year and a half now and the company won't replace it. Grrrr. So I gotta find someplace else. Thanks for everyones input. Tim.

justbob
11-04-2009, 07:11 AM
This is good info. I have noticed the same type of surging only every once in awile only at WOT at around 40-60 in second. First pulls like rocket. Almost has the feeling of the A/C kicking on and off.

Merc-O-matic
11-04-2009, 06:23 PM
There is a good chance that if you have the transmission fluid changed
it will cure your problem. Mercon V is only good for 20-40K...needs
regular changes!

Keep us posted.

Pat
11-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Bad coil(s), ask me how I know and how much it cost to find out.

Coils can go bad singly or in multiples. Buy one and "walk" it around all eight positions. If car's performance improves (even slightly) that position is a bad coil, if there is no change then that coil is probably good.

This can be a little time consuming, but at $45.00 a pop..........

If you have more than 60K, it might be better to change them all out or you could be nickeling and diming yourself.

For heavens sake, get quality coils not Chinese they don't hold up.

Regards,

willpelton
11-25-2009, 07:59 PM
hey Tim Fromme, in your first post you mention you had your over drive off. how did you do that? this may be well to know to some of you guys but not to me. My 2004 does not have a switch to disable the O/D. I have always wondered why a car that has no way to select 3rd gear would not have an O/D switch. does the 2003 have a switch?

Merc-O-matic
11-25-2009, 08:03 PM
hey Tim Fromme, in your first post you mention you had your over drive off. how did you do that? this may be well to know to some of you guys but not to me. My 2004 does not have a switch to disable the O/D. I have always wondered why a car that has no way to select 3rd gear would not have an O/D switch. does the 2003 have a switch?

The O/D on/off button is on the end of the gear shift knob.
Push in for off. push again for overdrive.

willpelton
11-25-2009, 08:39 PM
I only have the release button on the left of the leather part of the gear select handle

Merc-O-matic
11-25-2009, 08:45 PM
I only have the release button on the left of the leather part of the gear select handle

Look under the release button on the left.....there is smaller button below
the big button.

UncleLar
11-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Check on the left side of your leather shift handle below the top of the handle and the gear release button for a small overdrive on/off button.

1stMerc
11-25-2009, 09:12 PM
What they^^^^ said. You will see a green light on the dash when it's off

willpelton
11-26-2009, 03:45 PM
LOL, my exact words were "holy *****". that was humbling. you guys have to trust me when I say I don't miss much so this was fun. I guess I looked where I thought it would be, gave up and drew the conclusion that the car did not have an O/D switch. since then I have enjoyed complaining, usually to myself that this car should have a switch! LOL. you guys are great, thanks. I will enjoy my "new" switch on interstate 10 over the weekend.

UncleLar
11-26-2009, 10:02 PM
No problem,I had to ask too when I got my MM.I guess I should've checked the owners manual better,lol.

willpelton
11-27-2009, 09:11 AM
owners manual, hmmmm I have heard of those. I thought they were a spacer for something n the glovebox?