PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Exhaust

LVMarauder
10-26-2003, 08:09 PM
What are the NASCAR style exhaust systems called, i know they are loud as hell and that I want them but thats about it.

bozobill
10-26-2003, 08:22 PM
I'm no expert (LL#3 might know this in detail) but it's probably tuned headers, dumping into a large collection pipe, straight-thru design w/o any muffler. Exit point is just ahead of the left rear tire. Yes 800+ HP is going to be LOUD! Every driver wears ear protection.

Long Live #3
10-26-2003, 09:26 PM
I don't really know off the top of my head. I don't know that much about the car except that it goes really fast. When I find some info about the exhaust, I'll let you guys know.

martyo
10-26-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Long Live #3
I don't really know off the top of my head. I don't know that much about the car except that it goes really fast. When I find some info about the exhaust, I'll let you guys know.

Hey, I thought you had that guru thing going on?

Long Live #3
10-26-2003, 10:14 PM
I only know so much!

Long Live #3
10-26-2003, 10:24 PM
I found out that some use SpinTech. My Uncle has that type on his Dakota and it sounds like a Craftsman Truck car!

SergntMac
10-26-2003, 10:39 PM
I only know so much!

We are learning this, Joey, but get in there, K? Dig in and around and get our 411. Do it now. Otherwise, you may not see your Graduation show, eh? Don't go lame on us now...

Long Live #3
10-26-2003, 10:41 PM
SergntMac: :lol:

martyo
10-27-2003, 04:32 AM
SergntMac: :lol:

Trust me, Joey, he's not kidding!

gonzo50
10-27-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by martyo
Trust me, Joey, he's not kidding!
Ya'll should all know by now that what SergntMac says, SergntMac means, and thats no joke. :bandit:

FordNut
10-27-2003, 08:16 AM
Most use the x-pipe. Spintech (or Dr. Gas or Pro Motorsports) first came up with the x-pipe in the early '90s and NASCAR started using it in the mid '90s. Read more here http://www.drgas.com/

Long Live #3
10-27-2003, 08:26 AM
I think that some use Flowmasters too.

BillyGman
10-27-2003, 11:58 AM
cirlce track fan, but since the Nascar engines are reving so high, the powerbands of those engines have to be much higher up in the RPM range than any street car, not to mention that they just have a whole lot more HP than a Marauder has anyway. Therefore the exhaust system designed for nascar wouldn't work very well on a Marauder unless perhaps it's a S/C'd Marauder.(is yours S/C's LV?) otherwise the car would actually lose power. Especially off the line,and probably even in the mid range.

Long Live #3
10-27-2003, 12:09 PM
I'm not the only NASCAR guru in the family. There's my mom and dad, my uncle, and my best friend Kevin.

LVMarauder
10-27-2003, 01:26 PM
No im not S/C'd yet but my mods are on the way as we speak. I dont really want a NASCAR exhaust cuz i like the chrome tips but i DO want a REALLLY loud exhaust system, I want people to tremble in fear and cry when they hear it.

Long Live #3
10-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Then go with Spin Tech.

SergntMac
10-27-2003, 09:29 PM
Then go with Spin Tech.

Or go with nothing at all...

Kook's headers, into 2.50 exhaust pipe and high flow cats, into a 2.5" OD X-pipe, into...nothing but 2.5" OD mandrel bent pipe, into 2.5" OD tailpipe, into 3.0" Megs tips.

HooRah!

About as loud as you can get, IMHO.

Scare the panties off 'em, eh? Leave some cracks in the sidewalk? Break some storefront windowglass?

Yeah, I hear ya...

Slowpoke
10-27-2003, 09:35 PM
a little rumble is nice, but too loud, and it'll wake the baby.

BillyGman
10-28-2003, 02:28 AM
because several years ago I learned a lesson w/the exhaust on my 355 C.I. engined 73 Vette. For years now I've had MIG welds in the xhaust on that car, and they hold up great. But when I bought the car, the guy I bought it from had other type of welding done to the header collector flanges where they join the muffler pipes(no cats on that car, cuz it's exempt from emissions). And because it wasn't MIG welds on them, they didn't hold up. And when the weld on the driver's side header collector flange broke open one day, I noticed three things:

#1. Ofcourse, the car was louder.
#2. Driving on the highway I noticed an impressive gain in power and acceleration while stomping on the gas pedal at 70MPH.
#3. The car also had exhibited a very noticeable LOSS in low end power. So much so that it took a very deliberate effort on my part to give the engine more gas while starting off in first gear in order to avoid stalling the engine (which BTW happened to me several times that day since I wasn't used to the car lacking low-end torque).

So my point is, that in your quest for a loud or a powerful exhaust, there definately is a point where you can open it up so much to where you'll lose power. Especially off-the-line power. So if you want loud w/out losing power, then don't look to open up the exhaust pipe diameter anymore than 2 1/2" on a small 281 C.I. V8 like the 4.6L motor, and don't look to go any bigger w/the header primary tube diameter than 1 5/8" (unless you're S/C'd), but instead just go w/out mufflers like MAC suggested, or go w/straigh-thru design mufflers like LOGAN has done.

Long Live #3
10-28-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Slowpoke
a little rumble is nice, but too loud, and it'll wake the baby.

I'd love to have a loud exhaust on my dad's T-Bird, but there's too much back draft.