PDA

View Full Version : FIT Procharger Question

ROCOB
11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I have the FIT KIT # 16 and this past Friday night at TNT here in Commerce, my belt tensioner pretty much disintegrated. The following day, BlackBeauty2 was kind of enough to lend me a hand in modifying the new one and Aric from Injected Engineering put it back together. Basically, problem fixed so I could enjoy my daily driver. Today while driving I eased off from a light and there was the familiar sound from Friday night. I checked only to find that approx 25% of the serpentine belt has been shreded. I am wondering if I am the only FIT owner with this problem and if someone else has had a similar experience could you provided much needed guidance?

Pops
11-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Sounds like the alignment is off.

blazen71
11-11-2009, 10:50 AM
I've got approx. 10k miles on my set-up with no problems. Make sure all pulleys are aligned and change your belt every year!

Joe Walsh
11-11-2009, 11:02 AM
I've got approx. 10k miles on my set-up with no problems. Make sure all pulleys are aligned and change your belt every year!

Glad to see that somebody put that Procharger to good use!

;)

John Nero
11-11-2009, 11:48 AM
it is the alignment - i just got done changing my belt i have an 8 rib system and it was off just a hair and cut 1 of the ribs off the belt - had to ajust the spacers again - all good - i have procharger #25

Marauderjack
11-11-2009, 03:20 PM
How's your small idler...the one on the bolt that goes into the offset tab on the alternator and holds that end of the mounting plate ??:confused:

Motorhead350
11-11-2009, 04:12 PM
I broke one of those before and a belt too. Nothing a trip to the junkyard and Autozone couldn't cure.

I think you need a belt with the last four numbers being 1079 or 1077. is this correct? :confused:

Marauderjack
11-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Dayco Polycog 5061075.............2X heavier than the Gatorback and lasts 30K miles or more!!!:beer::bows:

cougar9150
11-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Are they still around? I have tried to find them but have been unable to locate a website. If I don't do an eaton this is the kit I want.

Glenn
11-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Your SC belt alignment can be off as little as 1/16" and it will shread the belt - critical adjustment. Check for adding a washer in the wrong location. A single washer in the wrong location will cause the problem.

Glenn :burnout:

ImpalaSlayer
11-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Dayco Polycog 5061075.............2X heavier than the Gatorback and lasts 30K miles or more!!!:beer::bows:
poly cog FTW. but i failed and didnt put one on yet

ROCOB
11-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the guidance, it is certainly appreciated. I will get it sorted out in a few days, as time permits and will get back in the game. If not I could always shake it like "etch a sketch" and go NA for a while..

1stMerc
05-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Hey MarauderJack
Do you have a trick to getting Dayco Polycog 5061075 belts on.
I had a heck of a time getting that sucker the last bit over the alternator pulley. Had the tensioner at full lock, and had to loosen the alternator and let the sun soften the belt. Finally, had to use two screw drivers to (carefully) ease it over that ridge.
That belt really is thick.

New to poly cog belts and in process of installing my Procharger #????.

Any tips from anyone would be appreciated.

LANDY
05-25-2011, 05:25 AM
I highly recommend the tensioner tool DR sells. I always do it from the bottom of the car and mount the last of the belt on the PS pump.

John Nero
05-25-2011, 05:45 AM
Hey MarauderJack
I had a heck of a time getting that sucker the last bit over the alternator pulley. Had the tensioner at full lock, and had to loosen the alternator and let the sun soften the belt. Finally, had to use two screw drivers to (carefully) ease it over that ridge.

sound about right - you want the belt as tight as possible - it took 3 sets of hands to get my belt on the car - we used a screw driver and had to key (bump) the motor to get mine on

blazen71
05-25-2011, 05:52 AM
sound about right - you want the belt as tight as possible - it took 3 sets of hands to get my belt on the car - we used a screw driver and had to key (bump) the motor to get mine on
It'll be even more fun with your new idler set-up:D

John Nero
05-25-2011, 05:54 AM

now it will take an extra 2 days

Marauderjack
05-25-2011, 06:16 AM
Hey MarauderJack

Actually it is pretty easy once ya figger it out!!:beer:

What I do now after inventing a dozen new cuss words is to leave the small PC Idler off but make sure the shaft bolt lines up with the tab on the alternator so you can "finger tighten" it!!

Next you will route the belt over the alternator pulley and down towards the PC Idler location......retract the tensioner a little and place the PC Idler with bushings in place on the belt so as you continue to retract the tensioner you can push it into place and install the shaft bolt with your free hand.......sounds hard but once you do it you will see how easy it really is!!!:D

Of course an extra hand makes it a breeze!!:beer:

Good Luck and let me know how it works for you!!??;)

These DayCo belts are the best I have found for our application....also the tightest!!:argue:

babbage
05-25-2011, 06:18 AM
I don't know if this will work with the FIT, but Thump Racing makes a lot really nice HD Billet tensioners. Less belt slip.

http://www.thumpracing.com/images/products/PM-1001-76L1.jpg
http://www.thumpracing.com/index.htm#belt_tensioners

sailsmen
05-25-2011, 09:00 AM
I have the Thump Tensioner and I think it is the best out there.

1stMerc
05-25-2011, 11:17 AM
I highly recommend the tensioner tool DR sells. I always do it from the bottom of the car and mount the last of the belt on the PS pump.

What I do now after inventing a dozen new cuss words is to leave the small PC Idler off but make sure the shaft bolt lines up with the tab on the alternator so you can "finger tighten" it!!

Next you will route the belt over the alternator pulley and down towards the PC Idler location......retract the tensioner a little and place the PC Idler with bushings in place on the belt so as you continue to retract the tensioner you can push it into place and install the shaft bolt with your free hand.......sounds hard but once you do it you will see how easy it really is!!!:D

Tried saving the PS for last a few times, still would'nt go. Was still reluctant to pry it over for fear of ruining thee belt. Took me two days between dodging thunder storms and warnings.
Can't imagine this getting easier, shoot and i don't even have the pipes on yet. Speaking of which got to get back to those.

blazen71, i should have read the thread you did when you got your S/C (just saw it last night). You received the suggestion about using the Mustang shroud instead of flipping the oe. Right now having to modify it to get clearance for the intake elbow and the s/c outlet pipng. Hell it' not even easy to do non-ic with that big fan in the way. Not enough homework before tackling this, but i'll "get er done".

BTW, got the belt on yesterday after biting my tongue, holding my breath and using the screw drivers :).

Thanks gents,:beer:
You'll probably hear from me for some more tips/tricks.

1stMerc
05-25-2011, 11:19 AM
now it will take an extra 2 days

Dare i ask, what is your pulley setup?

blazen71
05-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Dare i ask, what is your pulley setup?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61514

post #11 and #12.

Also, I ended up just flipping my stock Marauder fan. The intake elbow just fits. In hindsight I would have used the Mustang fan but was in a time constraint.

sailsmen
05-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Whenever possilbe, a must in the South, use the OEM fan shroud. The fan is designed to flow the required amount of air only in conjunction with the OEM shroud.
The open air Mustang shroud does not flow enough air over 95*/95% under 30mph.

ImpalaSlayer
05-25-2011, 03:16 PM
you can also buy that tool here
http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=catalog&parent=86&pg=1

1stMerc
05-25-2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61514

post #11 and #12.

Also, I ended up just flipping my stock Marauder fan. The intake elbow just fits. In hindsight I would have used the Mustang fan but was in a time constraint.

I remember that post. Very nicely done. I was going to fab up something myself, because of it. But, boy howdy, nothing that fancy.

I had just finished making alterations to my extra shroud and got it back on the car when the Rains came, then thunder storms and sirens. Looks like i'm done for the day.

Still didn't get to the pipes.

BTW, i noticed in one of your post you didn't have the pipes showing under neath. Is that one of Dennis' ic setups? Can you post some more pics. I have an idea how to hide them, but can't get the rain to stop long enough to work it out.

1stMerc
05-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Whenever possilbe, a must in the South, use the OEM fan shroud. The fan is designed to flow the required amount of air only in conjunction with the OEM shroud.

I'm using the oem since one came with the kit. It just has this weird angle that doesn't look as efficient for cooling. Haven't seen any trouble post so i guess it still work well. Come to think of it, the intake tube does sit over the top of it so i guess that helps.

It does get to 95+ for weeks here, so i guess i'll find out.

John Nero
05-25-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm using the oem since one came with the kit. It just has this weird angle that doesn't look as efficient for cooling. Haven't seen any trouble post so i guess it still work well. Come to think of it, the intake tube does sit over the top of it so i guess that helps.

It does get to 95+ for weeks here, so i guess i'll find out.

are you installing a pro charger kit the oem fan is fliped upside down and reinstalled - if you have any questions pm me

ntd
05-25-2011, 03:51 PM
I have one $60 shipped

Isn't that a good way to wipe out the frt crank bearing?

I'm using his pulley setup and a Thump tensioner with no belt slip, Highly recommended

I experienced high temps with the mustang fan assembly so I plastic welded parts of the Marauder fan shroud to it to cover the radiator and all is good now

blazen71
05-25-2011, 04:24 PM
BTW, i noticed in one of your post you didn't have the pipes showing under neath. Is that one of Dennis' ic setups? Can you post some more pics. I have an idea how to hide them, but can't get the rain to stop long enough to work it out.

There is a metal bracket welded to each side of the frame. I read they are just for assembly at the factory. Cut them off and you can run the IC pipes up against the frame.

BODYMAN
05-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Waymon, If you need a hand you can give me a call would be glad to help out.

LANDY
05-25-2011, 05:17 PM
you can also buy that tool here
http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=catalog&parent=86&pg=1 good one. I tought DR was the only one that sold it.

ImpalaSlayer
05-25-2011, 06:58 PM
good one. I tought DR was the only one that sold it.

nope!!!!!!!!!

CBT
05-25-2011, 07:13 PM
I won one of these in the Louisville raffle, it was a prize donated by Dennis. Actually, it was just one of many things he donated. If anyone in this thread does NOT have one, and NEEDS one, I will sell it for.....free.:) You pay shipping. Shoot me a PM.

1stMerc
05-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Waymon, If you need a hand you can give me a call would be glad to help out.

Thanks for the offer Todd,
Nothing i can't handle. Never hurts to get options from others that have gone before.i'm almost done. Just need cooperation from the weather and that little thing called work :rolleyes:.

Embassy
05-26-2011, 09:49 AM
I won one of these in the Louisville raffle, it was a prize donated by Dennis. Actually, it was just one of many things he donated. If anyone in this thread does NOT have one, and NEEDS one, I will sell it for.....free.:) You pay shipping. Shoot me a PM.

You 've got a PM!

Waymon, welcome to the FIT community. Do you know which kit number you have? From where did it come?

1stMerc
05-26-2011, 04:29 PM
^^^Afraid i beat you to it^^^

Thanks, Steve
Did not find out who was the original owner, But i'm guessing it was kit #004 since that is the only vacant spot on the roll call list. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

I am sooooo tempted to start it up before installing the piping. Anyone do it?

justbob
05-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Won't start or idle. Un'metered air= bad. Good luck waymon!

1stMerc
05-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Won't start or idle. Un'metered air= bad. Good luck waymon!

It will if i reconnect my k&n . Sorry for the itchy right hand. It's my first blower :D

Thanks,

BODYMAN
05-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the offer Todd,
Nothing i can't handle. Never hurts to get options from others that have gone before.i'm almost done. Just need cooperation from the weather and that little thing called work :rolleyes:.

Yea weather co-op would be nice for a change.. My offer stands though. Cant wait to see it when its done. Who is gonna tune it for ya?

1stMerc
05-26-2011, 08:13 PM
To be determined.

1stMerc
05-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey Todd,
How's the wife liking what you had done to her car? :P

Local Boy
05-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Welcome to the family...Brutha...

I too used to have that tight belt issue...

So, I went with the NAPA Fleet Runner Belt # 061080HD...It's the green one!

It's a little longer but is commercial strength...It worked for me with the stock pulley set up...only a ratchet is needed...

I have since added another pulley, and still easy to install...no special tool...just a ratchet...but it worked with the stock set up as well...and I run @ 10-12 lbs of Boost...

You may want to try that...:rolleyes:

I got some pipes and rubber connectors if you need...

Good Luck...:beer:

Aloha

BODYMAN
05-27-2011, 06:12 AM
Hey Todd,
How's the wife liking what you had done to her car? :P

LOL, I had to buy her what she wanted to stay away:) Got her a Highlander hybrid so she has no desire to drive it HA,HA

1stMerc
05-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Welcome to the family...Brutha...

I too used to have that tight belt issue...

So, I went with the NAPA Fleet Runner Belt # 061080HD...It's the green one!

It's a little longer but is commercial strength...It worked for me with the stock pulley set up...only a ratchet is needed...

I have since added another pulley, and still easy to install...no special tool...just a ratchet...but it worked with the stock set up as well...and I run @ 10-12 lbs of Boost...

You may want to try that...:rolleyes:

I got some pipes and rubber connectors if you need...

Good Luck...:beer:

Aloha

Thanks for the belt suggestion, i'll remember when replacement time comes. Where/how did you add another pulley?

Thanks for the welcome.

I may hit you up for the pipe and connectors once i start dointhe piping.

1stMerc
05-28-2011, 09:47 AM
LOL, I had to buy her what she wanted to stay away:) Got her a Highlander hybrid so she has no desire to drive it HA,HA

LOL, she'll be satisfied till she "feels the need...

THE NEED FOR SPEED scruuuuurrrrr:burnout: varoooooom!!!!

BODYMAN
05-28-2011, 11:00 AM
LOL, she'll be satisfied till she "feels the need...

THE NEED FOR SPEED scruuuuurrrrr:burnout: varoooooom!!!!

I think Iam ok Waymon she seems to be very happy with her new car:beer:

Local Boy
05-28-2011, 03:34 PM
It's the same type that Blazen71 is running...It was provided to me by Fordnut (Thanks Brain)...There's a pic of it somewhere in Blazen71's post...Basically it sits in between the Alt. and the PS pump...It helps with belt deflection upon sudden deceleration while in Boost...

I'll be happy to help in any way I can...

Aloha