PDA

View Full Version : Sparta watts link installed

Blackened300a
11-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Took a little over an hour to install due to the fact that I didnt have my lift free and had to work in a limited lighted pit. The longest part of the install was the big nut on the pivot point on the top of the rear. Removing it was a bear and trying to torque it on my back was another mission on its own. Other then that, it was pretty straight forward install. Make sure you follow the directions! There is a procedure to the removal and installation, follow these to prevent doing double work.
The Sparta links are MUCH stronger then the stock links. They also look a lot nicer even though nobody can see them. I was getting frustrated getting my ride height set to where I want but that can be taken care of later on. It was cold in the pit and my back was bothering me so instead of the little rake that I liked, My car is level from front to back.
I was putting the car through the courses and this mod DOES make a difference! The combination of the control arms, sway bars and now the watts link, I feel a lot more confident taking turns at speed. The car feels tighter and feels more planted in tight turns.
+1 on this mod!

Krytin
11-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Nice work Paul!

When I start collecting a paycheck again next month I can start to buy stuff again!!!!

Mr. Man
11-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Looks great Paul and I'm glad to hear you noticed a difference. We are awaiting our CA's and Watt's links in purple. I also ordered the Addco bars front and rear(solids). Might paint these purple too. I need to source some new rear shocks. I understand the OEM are hard to beat and the originals have last almost 100K. I'll paint them also. Is there anything else in the rear to replace, suspension wise. Brakes are on the radar as is a tune up and fluid changes. Car is a money pit but were having fun:)

SpartaPerformance
11-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey Krytin its great to hear you working again!!

Krytin
11-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Thank you!

I was getting a little concerned but I had a friend hook me up with a pretty nice gig!

jgc61sr2002
11-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi Paul - Congrats on your new job.:D

fastblackmerc
11-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Looks great Paul and I'm glad to hear you noticed a difference. We are awaiting our CA's and Watt's links in purple. I also ordered the Addco bars front and rear(solids). Might paint these purple too. I need to source some new rear shocks. I understand the OEM are hard to beat and the originals have last almost 100K. I'll paint them also. Is there anything else in the rear to replace, suspension wise. Brakes are on the radar as is a tune up and fluid changes. Car is a money pit but were having fun:)

Rear end cover, either replace it with an anodized or powercoated purple one or I have my stock one you can have for a nominal fee + shipping that you can get powdercoated or painted.

Mr. Man
11-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Rear end cover, either replace it with an anodized or powder coated purple one or I have my stock one you can have for a nominal fee + shipping that you can get powder coated or painted.

I will be getting a new one when we get to the axle goodies. Saw one on Ford Racing and one of our vendors sells them too. I don't think it should be to difficult to find parts for an 8.8 inch rear. I will be looking into one that holds a bit more fluid, maybe even cooling fins.:)

SpartaPerformance
11-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Thank you!

I was getting a little concerned but I had a friend hook me up with a pretty nice gig!

Cool. You need anything let me know I'll hook you up!

ImpalaSlayer
11-25-2009, 07:15 PM
i need one of these.

Blackened300a
11-25-2009, 07:45 PM
I will be getting a new one when we get to the axle goodies. Saw one on Ford Racing and one of our vendors sells them too. I don't think it should be to difficult to find parts for an 8.8 inch rear. I will be looking into one that holds a bit more fluid, maybe even cooling fins.:)

I have the Ford racing girdle cover. It looks nice and puts pressure on the end caps cause you know how strong these N/A Marauders are. :rolleyes:

Blackened300a
11-25-2009, 07:52 PM
More pics people! I even took apart my rear to get a better view.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/26ecda71.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/1fc9972c.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/511f6e85.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/30999b10.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/6765fa67.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/372cc13f.jpg

ImpalaSlayer
11-25-2009, 08:06 PM
well i guess you got the spring out lol

SpartaPerformance
11-25-2009, 08:06 PM
i need one of these.

Yes you do! :D

Blackened300a
11-25-2009, 08:13 PM
well i guess you got the spring out lol

Spring......... yes, Axle bearings......no :(

Mr. Man
11-25-2009, 08:56 PM

BIGGER HAMMER!!!!! :banana::banana:

burt ragio
11-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Just the Zack & Mac control arms made a huge dif. along with the f/r Adcco bars. I can't imagine much more of a improvement until you look at the oem watts link. The after market watts link is on my list of mods. after the eaton.

SpartaPerformance
11-25-2009, 09:56 PM

How funny is it that bearings will go in easy and spring is going to be a PITA! Black Friday is going to be a zoo at my shop so I can't help but, i'm sure I will be receiving a text of frustration. good luck with your 1st rear!

Blackened300a
11-26-2009, 09:38 AM
BIGGER HAMMER!!!!! :banana::banana:

Yeah except you have to pull the bearing out towards you so after using the biggest slide hammer in the shop for a 1/2 hour with no luck, I plan on using a different attachment or a heat wrench if it really gives me a issue.

How funny is it that bearings will go in easy and spring is going to be a PITA! Black Friday is going to be a zoo at my shop so I can't help but, i'm sure I will be receiving a text of frustration. good luck with your 1st rear!

This is the 3rd time I had my rear apart sir, First was for the gear swap, second was for the upgraded clutches and spring, this time is for the leaking pinion seal. I figured since I had it apart, I may as well replace all the seals and bearings. I should have left well enough alone! I have my rear guy coming to the shop Saturday to set it up. Hes a perfectionist so I prefer to let him shim it.

Ladyhawke
11-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Hopefully I will receive mine before Christmas....{hint, hint}. ;)

Need a present for Chris.

Haggis

Mr. Man
11-26-2009, 10:48 AM
If a big hammer doesn't work then you go for the explosives