PDA

View Full Version : undercarriage

jjsrant
12-12-2009, 09:48 PM
I am wondering how one might go about reversing potential "weather damage". I thought about it reading a different thread about why MM's north are "cheaper". i would love to say mine has never been driven in the snow but it has...a side from a full body off restoration, is there anything that could be done to clean up all the aluminum and frame or is it a matter of getting dirty with some elbow grease?

Just thought it would be interesting.

babbage
12-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Coat it with oil, this stops rust and oxidation. I've used WD40, Amsoil makes a spray grease suitable for use as undercoat. This will preserve the metal. My undercarriage is very clean, I think this is the first winter mines ever been driven.

boatmangc
12-13-2009, 10:04 AM
I used the alternative Amsoil treatment;
1) hot lap your car with too much boost and a crappy tune
2) repeat
3) ventilate block @ approximately 108MPH

The resulting hot oil trailing the motor will do a wonderful job of spreading HOT oil completely under the car, lubricate trunk latch and also waterproof the back window!!:lol:

FordNut
12-13-2009, 03:26 PM
After several transmission failures and the resulting undercarriage bath, I've found that Castrol Super Clean in a sprayer bottle, hand sprayed on all surfaces under the car followed with a high temperature pressure washing (Hotsy) will clean things up really well. Put it up on jack stands as high as you can get it before starting.

JUST 1BULLITT
12-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Good tips; I didn't know Amsoil made something for this; need to study up on their product line more!! : >

FordNut
12-13-2009, 03:46 PM
After several transmission failures and the resulting undercarriage bath, I've found that Castrol Super Clean in a sprayer bottle, hand sprayed on all surfaces under the car followed with a high temperature pressure washing (Hotsy) will clean things up really well. Put it up on jack stands as high as you can get it before starting.

Oh, use rubber gloves and rinse it off if it gets on your bare skin. It's a strong basic solution, so it will burn your skin.

babbage
12-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Good tips; I didn't know Amsoil made something for this; need to study up on their product line more!! : >

I hadn't noticed it before saw it in their catalog... Ok I looked it up. Haven't bought any yet but will.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/amh_can_300pxh.jpg
AMSOIL Metal Protector (http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/amp.aspx) (MP) and AMSOIL Heavy Duty Metal Protector (MPHD) are easy-to-use spray-on synthetic products that protect metal surfaces, displace water and silence squeaks. MP cuts through rust and corrosion to restore free movement of “frozen” hardware parts. MPHD lubricates metal surfaces, leaving a dry waxlike film. Neither forms gum or sludge.
AMSOIL MP is the product of choice for drying electrical and ignition systems and protecting electrical equipment from freshwater and saltwater damage. AMSOIL MP is also the product of choice for protecting firearms and other fine componentry. It contains no silicone. AMSOIL MP is compatible with plastic, leather, fabric, fishing line and paint.
AMSOIL MPHD is the product of choice for metal surfaces that require a heavy duty lubricant or are exposed to the damaging effects of salt, moisture or chemical corrosion. It is ideal for hinges, wire ropes and springs, nuts and bolts, motorcycle or bicycle chains, and for undercoating wheelwells and other metal surfaces exposed to water, dirt or road salt.
Uhh yeah that last part? The whole underside of my MM applies!?

I'm driving my MM in the winter, I did coat it with WD, but I think this stuff would be great for my rust free Marauder. I honestly don't think mines seen a winter before.:shake:

jjsrant
12-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Coat it with oil, this stops rust and oxidation. I've used WD40, Amsoil makes a spray grease suitable for use as undercoat. This will preserve the metal. My undercarriage is very clean, I think this is the first winter mines ever been driven.

Mine is pretty clean too but, i was contemplating selling and i changed my mind. i thought about what it would take to reverse the "wintered" effect. probably the most important thing would be to strip the interior, replace the carpet and a general clean of the seat frames. as far as outside i wonder if i could get her up on a hoist and first wash the underside of all the crap and then oil spray????

tallpaul
02-27-2010, 10:04 PM
When I bought my marauder I noticed that the frame, differential and other parts under the car were heavily rusted, and I live in NC. So I used POR-15 epoxy based paint. I used this stuff on my truck frame and it dries as hard as a rock. It will not chip or flake off. They call it powder coat in a can because it is that good. NAPA sells the stuff. It is a little pricey but you won't have to worry about the rust spreading because it seals the rust in and doesn't allow air to get to it.

massacre
02-27-2010, 10:41 PM
+1 on the POR, it worked real good for me.

Marauderjack
02-28-2010, 06:47 AM
2) repeat

The resulting hot oil trailing the motor will do a wonderful job of spreading HOT oil completely under the car, lubricate trunk latch and also waterproof the back window!!:lol:

Now that's FUNNY....glad you can finally laugh about it Gary!!!:D

How's the new setup doing??

DOOM
02-28-2010, 10:33 AM
2) repeat

LMAO!!! :lol: :rofl: :laugh:

Been there done that! :up:

guspech750
02-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Good info gentleman. I too will look in to these products as my underside of my MM is really nice and I would like to keep it that way. Thanks

Joe

JimP
03-01-2010, 11:47 AM
If you are after shine and gloss, get yourself several cans of CD2 engine detailer, I also use it on my engine of course, it leaves everything with a nice gloss and no dust gathering film. I have not done the the MM as of yet but my 87 GN looks amazing underneath. First clean it with your choice of degreaser, i use a citrus formula, once dry I give it a generous coat of CD2 engine detailer. The stuff lasts forever. Sorry I don't have any pictures they are on another computer. Anyone who has used CD2 engine detailer will agree it is a great product, it magically makes corrosion on aluminum and alloy parts disapear. Autozone, Pepboys sell it.

LeoVampire
03-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Do the truck bed linner treatment it is about the most durable thing you can do and is also a sound dampener.

They now have types you can do by hand rather than spray on.

It's called Herculiner and it is sold @ tons of places to include AutoZone, CarQuest and Napa and a lot more.