PDA

View Full Version : One More Time! Kenny Brown Marauder S – Take Two

MM03MOK
12-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!<o:p></o:p>

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17 912&d=1260845936

<o:p> </o:p> by Cari Southworth of Kenny Brown

I think most of you remember the Tire Smoking, Corvette Thumping awe-inspiring Kenny Brown supercharged Marauder S. When we closed the shop in ’05 due to Kenny’s very serious illness, hopes of him ever producing any more supercharged Marauders seemed bleak at best.
<o:p></o:p>
Well here is the best news in quite awhile: Kenny is going to build a small run of the Marauder S – one more time!
We have a very enthusiastic couple from New York that begged to have their Marauder converted into one of Kenny’s Marauders. Since Marauderville-7, Kenny felt he was healthy enough to go ahead to give it a try and fulfill the dream of the couple from New York by building one last Marauder S. Then Kenny thought if he had to go through the complex exercise of reassembling the more than 200 components in the package, he might as well build a few more at the same time as we have had many requests over the years to build more of the Marauder S package.
So, here is your chance to have a Kenny Brown Marauder S – Series II. We are taking reservations for Kenny Brown Marauder S Series II. Right now we just need commitments from those interested in owning a Series II Kenny Brown Marauder S so we can commit to the build of the custom parts needed for the package. This is a limited time offer so anyone interested you should get in contact with Cari Southworth at csouthworth@kennybrown.com (csouthworth@kennybrown.com) or 317.396.2768 as soon as possible to reserve your production number. Or if you know of anyone that may be interested, please spread the word for us.
When asked what would be different in Series-II, Kenny replied in typical Kenny Brown style,”I don’t know I haven’t built the first one yet. I’ll start where we left off, see what things I have to change, from the supplier stand point and from there, it’s whatever moves me.”
Content of Series-II is planned to be very similar to the original package. The Series-II Marauder S will all be Limited Edition Kenny Brown Signature Series and built in 2010 but only take reservations for the Marauder S through January. The Kenny Brown Marauder S will carry a 2010- MS2 serial numbers.
How good is Kenny’s Marauder S? Here are some references: Car & Driver review, Autoweek review, Autoweek TV road test and the now famous Kenny Brown Marauder S “Burn-Out” on YouTube<o:p></o:p>
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/03q2/kenny_brown_marauder_s-car_news (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/03q2/kenny_brown_marauder_s-car_news)<o:p></o:p>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWnMuH10tX0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWnMuH10tX0)<o:p></o:p>
www.kennybrown.com (http://www.kennybrown.com/)<o:p></o:p>
Marauder Video from Autoweek will appear on www.kennybrown.com (http://www.kennybrown.com/) shortly

martyo
12-14-2009, 08:22 PM
That's cool!

DEFYANT
12-14-2009, 08:27 PM
If I had a low miles stock MM - and the price was right, I'd be on this!

babbage
12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Wow is this for real? I'll do it. Sounds expensive

Joe Walsh
12-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Now that is awesome news! Reviving the original 'Marauder mod' 7 years later!!!
I know that they cut the springs on the original Kenny Brown cars, but left the rear control arms stock.
Wonder what Kenny Brown will do now that there are several aftermarket rear control arms available?
(He is a suspension whiz, so I'm thinking that they most likely will develop their own control arms.)

Mike
12-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Any idea how much :confused:

DOOM
12-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Long live the marauder! :banana2:

FordNut
12-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Very tempting. Nancy would kill me if I had her car converted, though. Reminiscent of the MVII get-together at Kenny's shop. Fantastic news to hear he's getting his health back.

dohc324ci
12-15-2009, 01:06 AM
You know this bites they couldnt have announced this back in JUNE! Its killing me!

Drewstang
12-15-2009, 01:26 AM
I hope he develops some suspension parts. I could drive up there and have them installed in the same day.

RoyLPita
12-15-2009, 07:22 AM
What does the package consist of?

Off subject: Will Kenny be doing 2010 Mustangs also?

Mote
12-15-2009, 08:05 AM
In the Car & Driver article from 2003, the mods cost $16,800. Other interesting quotes

"It's fitting that Brown is the orchestrator of this Marauder transformation. He was the original sculptor of the Lounge Lizard C/D project car (November 1998), a supercharged, blacked-out version of the Crown Victoria (Ford's version of the Mercury Grand Marquis) that we believe was the forerunner to the Marauder."

"Ford Racing doesn't sell a Roots-type blower for the Marauder's DOHC 32-valve, 4.6-liter V-8. Even if it did, Brown says the Roots blower wouldn't fit underneath the Marauder's hood."

SILVERSURFER03
12-15-2009, 10:17 AM
very tempting. Nancy would kill me if i had her car converted, though. Reminiscent of the mvii get-together at kenny's shop. Fantastic news to hear he's getting his health back.

brian you could always do nancy's silver hahaha

SILVERSURFER03
12-15-2009, 10:20 AM
in the car & driver article from 2003, the mods cost $16,800. Other interesting quotes

"it's fitting that brown is the orchestrator of this marauder transformation. He was the original sculptor of the lounge lizard c/d project car (november 1998), a supercharged, blacked-out version of the crown victoria (ford's version of the mercury grand marquis) that we believe was the forerunner to the marauder."

"ford racing doesn't sell a roots-type blower for the marauder's dohc 32-valve, 4.6-liter v-8. Even if it did, brown says the roots blower wouldn't fit underneath the marauder's hood."

i liked the part about your little sister beatting you in a wrestling match that was funny lol

DOOM
12-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Does anyone have kennys contact info???

MM03MOK
12-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Does anyone have kennys contact info???
Yes.....

Cari Southworth<o:p></o:p>
Kenny Brown & Company<o:p></o:p>
csouthworth@kennybrown.com<o:p></o:p>
317.396.2768 office<o:p></o:p>

DOOM
12-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks mary! :up:

WESTTXPATRIOT
12-15-2009, 02:27 PM
How much? all i need to know

ImpalaSlayer
12-15-2009, 02:37 PM
i never understood what was so great about the KB cars.:confused:

MERCMAN
12-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Really? Considering your age when the the MM was introduced, that is understandable. Kenny produced the 1st blown MM. This was before Trilogy and at the time was a quantum leap for a BIG car. Kenny Brown's name is/was synonymous with high performance. Do a little research before you make a statement like that. Anyone today can put a bunch of "go fast" items on a car, Kenny built a car using technology to make it fast AND safe. It is not just a blown engine, it is a COMPLETE package including suspension upgrades. I have ridden and driven in the first KB MM many times, and it performs like no other MM I have ever experienced. Technology has greatly improved since the introduction of the first KB edition and I, for one, look forward to the next generation. Kenny is a genius and I am sure that there are many on the site who will agree with me.

Do the research grasshopper and save your lunch money for the second go-around :up:

Bigdogjim
12-15-2009, 03:05 PM
^^^^^^ Hits the nail on the head! I agree 100% Well written Dan :up:

MM2004
12-15-2009, 03:35 PM
I personally have driven a Kenny Brown MM, leaving black stripes on Route 66 to prove it. What a drive it was...

:D

This is fantastic news to say the least!

:burnout:

Mike.

DEFYANT
12-15-2009, 03:40 PM
In the Car & Driver article from 2003, the mods cost $16,800. Other interesting quotes

"It's fitting that Brown is the orchestrator of this Marauder transformation. He was the original sculptor of the Lounge Lizard C/D project car (November 1998), a supercharged, blacked-out version of the Crown Victoria (Ford's version of the Mercury Grand Marquis) that we believe was the forerunner to the Marauder."

"Ford Racing doesn't sell a Roots-type blower for the Marauder's DOHC 32-valve, 4.6-liter V-8. Even if it did, Brown says the Roots blower wouldn't fit underneath the Marauder's hood."

No, but nowadays Trilogy does - and fits under the hood well too. Since a Roots blower is now available (and based on his statment above I get the impression that would have been the preferred choice), will the KB Series II be based on a Trilogy / roots blower?

What will he do differently that hasn't been done already with these cars?

bob6364
12-15-2009, 03:48 PM
I wonder if I can get a discount as I already have a trunk sticker and wing ...lol :D

Kenny Brown & Co
12-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Wow! What a positive response we have received to the Kenny Brown Marauder S – Series II. Thank you!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/ /><o:p></o:p></I></P><P><I><FONT size=3><FONT face=I will answer some of your questions and Kenny has added his thoughts on the centrifugal versus roots style supercharger along with answers to the control arm questions (see below).
Contact Information: <o:p></o:p>
Cari Southworth<o:p></o:p>
Phone 317.396.2768<o:p></o:p>
Email csouthworth@kennybrown.com (csouthworth@kennybrown.com)<o:p></o:p>
Cars to be built in Indianapolis, IN
Price: We are estimating pricing to be around $19,900 to $20,900 depending on final content.
Cheers!<o:p></o:p>
Cari Southworth
Here’s Kenny’s response:
What will be different in Series-II?<o:p></o:p>
I am going to start where I left off following the old adage – Don’t fix what ain’t broke. I thought the first series was pretty good and so did the editors of Autoweek, Car & Driver and Autoweek TV. After all, I didn't design it as a race car, just a really hot well-balanced everyday super sleeper cruiser. <o:p></o:p>
As I’m building the first one I’m sure I’ll put in a few new tweaks and a lot will depend on suppliers and availability of components. It has only been a few weeks since I made the decision to go ahead and build a few so let me get my arms around the bill of materials and re-establish suppliers first.
Will Series-II be centrifugal or roots supercharged?<o:p></o:p>
For now I’m going to stick with the centrifugal blower package. It’s developed, tested and customer proven. Actually in positive displacement blowers, I prefer the twin-screw over a roots style as they are far more efficient. I still struggle with packaging a PD (positive displacement) blower in the Marauder. Even though the Marauder is a big car, there is precious little extra space under the hood.<o:p></o:p>
The inlet for PD blowers is at the back facing the firewall and the available inlets (Mustang) all point the wrong way – to the passenger side where the battery is on the Marauder. In my view, by the time you package the blower, intercooler and inlet to the driver side, you either have something tall (hood interfering) or squashed. The squashed approach reminds me of the roots supercharged T-bird Super Coupe which I had a lot of experience with, mostly bad. The squashed inlet path of the Super Coupe restricted air flow, drove efficiency down and delta temperatures up – all of which are counter productive in making horsepower and durability. <o:p></o:p>
The centrifugal system at the time seemed a more “tidy” and efficient approach and I still hold to that same belief. I’m not saying I don’t like PD blowers, because I do like them especially on a big heavy car like Marauder and I have some interesting ideas on how to package a PD blower in a Marauder. The issue is financing the R&D, prototyping and testing. And how many units will it take to amortize development costs at a reasonable rate. Unfortunately, right now I have a whole folder on my desk stuffed with new partially developed Mustang components that I am slowly working my way through. <o:p></o:p>
If anyone out there wants to step up and help to financially support the development of a new nifty PD supercharger package for Marauder “count me in”, I’ve got some pretty interesting concepts in mind.

With all the control arms on the market, will Kenny use any of them?<o:p></o:p>
When we built the initial Marauder S, there were aftermarket rear control arms available then but I chose not to use them. I felt they were not the best solution for the situation and here is why.<o:p></o:p>
The aftermarket control arms I have seen all use urethane bushings to reduce the deflection in the OE rubber bushings. If the driving forces are just forward and aft, like on a drag strip, the low deflection urethane bushings are a good thing. Going around a corner as the roll angle differentiation between the body and axle grows, not so much. The control arm bushings in a 4-link rear suspension (as in Marauder) need to be able to rotate with body roll, as in going around a corner. If they don’t rotate as with urethane, the differentiation angle stops, the rear suspension binds, essentially stops working, the inside tire goes light and a loose or over-steer condition ensues. <o:p></o:p>
I’ve been engineering race cars for over 30 years and I can tell you the last thing you want to give a driver, even a really good one is a loose race car. Some may tell you “Loose Is Fast” but I’m here to tell you - Loose is Dangerous, period. <o:p></o:p>
If someone wants really cool rear control arms that work like crazy, I can put together some trick double rod-end control arms just like on my race Mustangs. With high-quality Teflon lined rod-ends they won’t rattle but they will transfer some road noise as they are a solid connection and they do require periodic inspection and servicing. There may be a compromise solution however if there is enough interest, based on my next generation of Street-Sport control arms for Mustang we will be introducing next month. So let us know.
Kenny Brown<o:p></o:p>

offroadkarter
12-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Even if it did, Brown says the Roots blower wouldn't fit underneath the Marauder's hood.

Really, thats a funny thing to say... considering his kenny brown panther had an eaton M90 under the stock hood :rolleyes:

MM2004
12-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Really, thats a funny thing to say... considering his kenny brown panther had an eaton M90 under the stock hood :rolleyes:

That was written when you were about 15 years old.

Technology has changed a bit since then.

Obviously with the Trilogy setup.

Mike.

NATEHAWK
12-16-2009, 08:36 PM
This sounds good for alot of guys who have the coin to do so....

Taemian
12-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi Kenny,

Just wondering if you could shed some light on any details of parts that will be available seperately? There are (at last count) over 200 Trilogy supercharged Marauders out there, so we aren't in the market for the whole KB package.

I've read you made some subframe connectors for the infamous Lounge Lizard, and the other Panther projects you did. Might we see these and other items in your catalog for sale to Marauders that are already extensively modified?

Taemian
12-16-2009, 10:03 PM
That was written when you were about 15 years old.

Technology has changed a bit since then.

Obviously with the Trilogy setup.

Mike.

Yes, but post #25 was written yesterday, and KB still says the Roots is a problem compared to a centri unit. Maybe Jerry should get a hold of him and be a favoured supplier?:beer: No need for Kenny to re-invent the wheel here on this one.

Drewstang
12-17-2009, 08:56 AM
I'd be willing to drive up there and have him look over my Trilogy kit if it will help the progress of the package.

LSp8
12-17-2009, 09:57 AM
It's very costly, wish I could afford that, might have to just stick with the Trilogy plan for now.

frdwrnch
12-17-2009, 02:20 PM
This is a great opportunity for those with the means to get it done. I've ridden in one and it's a very nice package. With Kenny you know it will be turn key with little or no "bugs" to work out.

DEFYANT
12-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Yup. A roots blower will never work. Too much R&D involved.

Seriously. Why bother reinvent the wheel. Get with Trilogy and do it right Kenny. After all, Ford cant be wrong with the 03 / 04 Cobras can they?

MERCMAN
12-17-2009, 05:18 PM
I am sure Kenny is aware of the trilogy and has his reasons.Perhaps you should ask him instead of speculating out loud?

DEFYANT
12-17-2009, 05:58 PM
I am sure Kenny is aware of the trilogy and has his reasons.Perhaps you should ask him instead of speculating out loud?

The post above suggested he was not aware of the Trilogy kit. If I am ever honored to be in the presence of the great KB, I will speak to him - if that is what I chose to do. It sounded like he only knew of the OEM Cobra blowers w/ inlets on the wrong side.

90% of this forum and others just like it are "speculation out loud".

A Trilogy twin screw KB Marauder would be the complete package, IMO.

DOOM
12-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Kenny Brown saw several trilogy marauders at MV7 in Indy. :D

MM03MOK
12-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Kenny Brown saw several trilogy marauders at MV7 in Indy. :D
Was just gonna say that, Doomie! ;)

Bradley G
12-17-2009, 09:12 PM
I got Kenny Brown to sign my fuse box cover @ MVVII, does that make my car a Kenny Brown approved Trilogy Marauder?

DEFYANT
12-18-2009, 05:32 PM
I got Kenny Brown to sign my fuse box cover @ MVVII, does that make my car a Kenny Brown approved Trilogy Marauder?

You got the first one!!! Congrats!

N40GL
12-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Best and most fun damn car I've ever owned! If you guys get the $$, I heartily endorse spending it to increase the "fun" content of your life.

On another note, I wonder what Kenny'll do if people want aftermarket wheels? Those Ronals on his CV look great, but Ronal pulled out of the US a few years ago.

burt ragio
12-22-2009, 11:28 AM
I would love to see Kenny & Jerry and some of our creative Marauder members to many to list also x member Zack at a conference table. Between these people they could build a Marauder like none before. Unfortunatly that would never happen.

BODYMAN
12-22-2009, 11:45 AM
I can truly speak from experience KB's car were great! Very good feel from drivers seat and handled great with what little he had to work with at the time. I had the #7 KB-S but it was the 3rd one they did back in FEB 03 and for sometime in 03 it was the only option for a S/C. Myself and MENSREA were the only 2 on the board who had ,over 400 rwhp Marauder's

TAKEDOWN
12-23-2009, 12:22 AM
I would love to see Kenny & Jerry and some of our creative Marauder members to many to list also x member Zack at a conference table. Between these people they could build a Marauder like none before. Unfortunatly that would never happen.

I agree 100%:burnout:

courtmarshall
12-31-2009, 03:08 PM
I agree 100%:burnout:

I thought it would be cool to look up Bill Stoppe and come up with a Pikes Peak ala Parnelli Jones version as well.......http://www.stroppe.com/history/HotrodPartsIllustrated.html

Canadasvt
01-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Too much $$ for me. Now maybe if I was a non-overtaxed American....... :)

BODYMAN
01-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Too much $$ for me. Now maybe if I was a non-overtaxed American....... :)

HUH??? YEA! We just get stuck paying for everyother countrys ****! Hey maybe thats why were broke among other things:flamer:

Peter
01-25-2011, 09:53 PM
What ever became of this?

Taemian
01-25-2011, 11:07 PM
What ever became of this?

Don't know. I contacted KB twice in the last six months but got no reply.

Bradley G
01-26-2011, 03:03 AM
I know of one KB II that had NY plates on it that was tuned by Lonnie Doll at the same time I was getting tuned.
The boost is upped a bunch on the second Go-Round!

Mercguy04
02-10-2011, 12:23 AM
Gentleman,
I would love to see more on this series II MM. I see most of the posts were done in
2009 & early 2010 and not much after that. I am wondering if there is any information of late on
this subject. LMK if there is anything that is out there concerning Kenny Bell and MM's
Thanks
Russell

Bradley G
02-11-2011, 04:50 PM
KB stands for Kenny Brown in this thread.
Gentleman,
I would love to see more on this series II MM. I see most of the posts were done in
2009 & early 2010 and not much after that. I am wondering if there is any information of late on
this subject. LMK if there is anything that is out there concerning Kenny Bell and MM's
Thanks
Russell

Mercguy04
02-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks Bradley,
I guess I didn't make myself clear.
Regardless of the make of car one has, everyone knows who KB is and his reputation
in the performance arena. I mean no disrespect to you or this community, of which I
intend of becoming part of. All I need is a DTR looks like I will have to wait on this as
well as learning about MM performance mods.
Russell

freakstatus
02-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Don't know. I contacted KB twice in the last six months but got no reply.

I don't think KB converts '99 Grand Marquis'. This is for Marauders only. LOL

Bradley G
02-13-2011, 02:35 PM
I did misinterpret, you probably know Dennis Reinhart is a dealer for your Kenny Bell needs.

Thanks Bradley,
I guess I didn't make myself clear.
Regardless of the make of car one has, everyone knows who KB is and his reputation
in the performance arena. I mean no disrespect to you or this community, of which I
intend of becoming part of. All I need is a DTR looks like I will have to wait on this as
well as learning about MM performance mods.
Russell

DOOM
02-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Is this still available?

2ndmm
02-02-2013, 09:02 PM
well I don't know if this is still around or not. I had tried to contact KB through Lonnie "owner of blue oval chips" He was tuning for KB at the time on the fr' and other mustangs. At the time I had a stage 2 KB panther. If the dollar amount is still at or under 20k it really is not a bad deal, the only thing about it is you can't expect to see a return, you have to do it for the love of the car. MY KBP was a low 13 second car so "yes" it can be done cheaper but when it came to the whole package the KBP was top notch. I would like to see this come about again, and maybe even in stages such as the panther came, I think there would be more interest that way and you could get what you want at same here.