PDA

View Full Version : J mod versus Lidio tune

tbone
12-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Just starting to modify the Mistress, so I'm short on tech info.

If you get the Lidio tune, is it necessary to do the j mod? I would think the tune fixes the slipping/shifting problem. Also, how much does the jmod generally cost? Should I go to Ford or a performance shop?

Thanks.

SC Cheesehead
12-25-2009, 11:28 AM
j mod is not necessary to install a perfromance tune, but it will be an additional improvement.

tbone
12-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I know the j mod isn't necessary to do the tune. But if you do the tune only, doesn't it take care of the problems the j mod resolves, so the j mod is not necessary anymore:confused:

ImpalaSlayer
12-25-2009, 12:03 PM
I know the j mod isn't necessary to do the tune. But if you do the tune only, doesn't it take care of the problems the j mod resolves, so the j mod is not necessary anymore:confused:

i have no first hand experience with the jmod but from what i understand it makes the ***** fell even firmer then what the tune can do. i just have a tune and im happy with it. no more searching for gears and at WOT it ***** perfect.

offroadking208
12-25-2009, 12:14 PM
i have no first hand experience with the jmod but from what i understand it makes the ***** fell even firmer then what the tune can do. i just have a tune and im happy with it. no more searching for gears and at WOT it ***** perfect.
....shifts perfect? lol

ImpalaSlayer
12-25-2009, 12:17 PM
....shifts perfect? lol

hahaha, never said typing was a strong point of mine. :lol:

justbob
12-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Here's the lowdown. The Jmod is a mechanical upgrade as opposed to just turning up the line pressure and possibly having pump failure down the road. My suggestion, Jmod first then use line pressure to adjust to your liking. Where in IL are you? If your close I'll take you for a ride to show you the differences.

tbone
12-25-2009, 03:51 PM
How do you turn up the line pressure? Is that what the tune does?

I live in Crystal Lake, Illinois. Northwest of Chicago.

tbone
12-25-2009, 03:54 PM

I do like it when my ***** feel even firmer!:banana:

stangracr
12-25-2009, 06:40 PM
my ***** are not firm at all. I thought it was something I ate. Maybe its my tune.

ed

SC Cheesehead
12-25-2009, 06:41 PM
my ***** are not firm at all. I thought it was something I ate. Maybe its my tune.

ed

Nah, you been to White Castle lately?? ;)

ntd
12-25-2009, 07:27 PM
I had the J-mod before getting Lidio's tune. With the J-mod, trans shifted much firmer and more quickly the addition of the tune corrected shift timing. I talked with lidio before getting his tune and he recommended not bumping the line pressures in the tune. I love how my car shifts now.

guspech750
12-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Same here!!

LANDY
12-26-2009, 01:15 AM
i had the j-mod done to my previous car and i loved it, i think it is a must, also im sure it helps the trans in a way. i did it my self, fairly easy hit the search on this site and you will find out. or you can pay someone 250 bucks to get it done for you.

justbob
12-26-2009, 10:10 AM
How do you turn up the line pressure? Is that what the tune does?

I live in Crystal Lake, Illinois. Northwest of Chicago.
Once you have a handheld from any vendor, let them know that you would like to leave the options for shift firmness open for adjustment and not locked. I'm sure the Jmod alone would keep you happy for quite some time, my line pressure is way low and I love it the way it is. I am in Wheaton, if you are ever out this way on a dry day, let me know and we can out for a ride and you can decide. BTW remove the springs, don't opt for the lighter weight ones.

Bradley G
12-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Hey Buddy!
Great to see you posting!
You know how it starts, first there are these little things you do to make your Marauder faster, next thing you got the motor apart slapping a blower to her. :P

Mr. Man
12-26-2009, 07:16 PM
What does the J in J-mod stand for?

ntd
12-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Jerry he worked for ford and devolved the AOD, AODE, 4r70w family of trans and he hates that it's call the j-mod:P.

rayjay
12-28-2009, 06:02 AM
One thing to keep in mind is firmer shifts can raise havoc with your winter driving on ice/snow if your car is a DD. Once the J Mod is done it can not be easily reversed. Turning down the line pressure with a tuner can be. Just my $.02

justbob
12-28-2009, 08:53 AM
One thing to keep in mind is firmer shifts can raise havoc with your winter driving on ice/snow if your car is a DD. Once the J Mod is done it can not be easily reversed. Turning down the line pressure with a tuner can be. Just my $.02
Mine feels stock when anything less than a quarter pedal is used, she is my winter beater this year.:D

Richy04
12-30-2009, 09:15 AM
I think if you are running the car just on the street the tune will be just fine. I find the shifts firmer but not too hard for daily use. Go with the tune and you will be happy.

BTW, I had the wacky wiper mod posted for quite some time yet those who have used it failed to get me white castles as recommended in the thread. Shame on you all..

Mr. Man
12-31-2009, 09:57 PM
We have a Z-tune and reading this thread I began to wonder if we got the J-mod would the Z-tune need to be adjusted or would the existing Z-tune continue to work fine?

justbob
12-31-2009, 11:27 PM
It would probably be a little to harsh for you, but nothing he couldn't adjust for ya. Depends on how high he has it set is all.

rayjay
01-01-2010, 07:22 AM
I thought the J Mod was primarily for 03 MMs. Does it work just as well for 04s?

offroadkarter
01-08-2010, 12:55 PM
I thought the J Mod was primarily for 03 MMs. Does it work just as well for 04s?

Its for any car with an AOD or 4R-- trans....

DJCV
01-08-2010, 05:29 PM

ed

lol:banana:

Black_Out
01-09-2010, 06:31 AM
A tune will change the shift schedule and increase line pressure resulting in higher rpms & snappier shifts.

The JMOD actually modifies the valve body of the tranny to reduce unnecessary slippage, which also results in much snappier, firmer shifts. Definately do the JMOD, your tires will bark at WOT and it prolongs the life of the tranny!