PDA

View Full Version : Blower keeps leaking

Motorhead350
12-25-2009, 04:53 PM
My Procharger keeps working great, but keeps leaking. I have had it rebuilt twice and still no good. It will leave a little oil in my garage floor, but recenty it's been leaving a lot. I know it's not the car because I check the engine oil everytime I get gas... that means sometimes twice a day. The engine is fine.

It's almost getting to a point where instead of a spot of oil I am getting a small puddle of oil. I keep putting more oil in and it's fine. The weird thing is most recently I thought it was about empty and when I went to check the oil it started overflowing from the top. This was after I drove the car for about 20 minutes, but it's never overflowed on me before and seems to be doing fine.

The best solution I can think of it to send it to Procharger and have them rebuild it for the third time. The first two times were from supercharger rebuilders. Right now I cannot afford to do this, all I can keep doing is topping off the oil.

The question is what could be causing this leak? Why did it overflow when I thought it was empty? Temperature? BTW I am driving this when it's 10 outside or sometimes colder, but it never sees WOT this time of year, so it's not like I'm hard on it.

SpartaPerformance
12-25-2009, 05:30 PM
For the most accurate answers I'ld contact ProCharger and see what they say. I think that the casing is warped. My $0.02

bawazir
12-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Dude your car have a blower and u live in Illinois!!! man i need to check it out?
lets have a car meeting

Motorhead350
12-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Dude your car have a blower and u live in Illinois!!! man i need to check it out?
lets have a car meeting

I told you man! ;)

Meet me at the place that is going to install your gears and I'll show you what a Marauder can do.

:burnout:

MM_BKK
12-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Once you overfilled these Procharger and run it, you will blow out the seals. Once the seals are blown, they're done and need to be replaced.

Sorry for the bad news and good luck with the rebuild.

If it was me, I wouldn't be putting it back in for the third time, but that's just me. May be 3 times the charm for you?

FordNut
12-25-2009, 08:16 PM
If it's the seal for the external shaft I believe Zack knows how to change it. If it's the internal impeller seal you gotta send it back to PC.

Mike
12-25-2009, 08:53 PM
[quote=MM_BKK;841074]Once you overfilled these Procharger and run it, you will blow out the seals. Once the seals are blown, they're done and need to be replaced.

I was thinking the same thing :(

Marauderjack
12-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't think ProCharger will be very interested in repairing something done by "Supercharger Rebuilders"!!:shake:

They will probably offer you a new unit instead of rebuilding yours!!:rolleyes:

Mine weeps a little (very little) but just enough to make a little mess.....never needs oil between 5K mile changes!!:beer:

I suspect your impeller seal and/or bearing is the culprit!!:confused:

Call PC and inquire before you spend more money with the guys who have done it TWICE already!!;)

BTW....what oil are you using??

ImpalaSlayer
12-26-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't think ProCharger will be very interested in repairing something done by "Supercharger Rebuilders"!!:shake:

They will probably offer you a new unit instead of rebuilding yours!!:rolleyes:

Mine weeps a little (very little) but just enough to make a little mess.....never needs oil between 5K mile changes!!:beer:

I suspect your impeller seal and/or bearing is the culprit!!:confused:

Call PC and inquire before you spend more money with the guys who have done it TWICE already!!;)

BTW....what oil are you using??

ive herd nothing good of that guy. my friend has a procharged mustang and had that guy rebuild it twice, it self destructed both times and the third time he switched to a used vortech.

scruff
12-26-2009, 09:44 PM
prochargers are prone to blowing up swap it out for a vortech or paxton unit and you,ll be glad you did

Motorhead350
12-26-2009, 10:39 PM
prochargers are prone to blowing up swap it out for a vortech or paxton unit and you,ll be glad you did

I don't think it's an exact fit if I do not change the piping. Does anyone know of this?

RR|Suki
12-26-2009, 11:02 PM
I don't think it's an exact fit if I do not change the piping. Does anyone know of this?

The bracket more than the piping will be the problem

Motorhead350
12-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Bracket for what? Holding the blower up against the engine?

LANDY
12-26-2009, 11:13 PM
^^ yes i would think so,i have seen both kits and the brakets look slightly different.
even tho i agree with the reliability of the vortech, i would just send that blower to Procharger and let them do the job right.

RR|Suki
12-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Bracket for what? Holding the blower up against the engine?

Yes the piping is the easy part, I did all my own pipe and it's not hard at all, it's the bracket that will be different. It MAY mount to the motor the same but the blowers more than likely have a different pattern for bolting to the brackets

MM_BKK
12-27-2009, 08:31 AM
I would suggest biting the bullet and send the head unit to Procharger for a rebuild so it's done right (you're looking at $450 minimum last time I checked).

When you get it back, remove the rest of its components and sell it as a complete kit and then have your friend (you know who) do an Eaton conversion for you?

ImpalaSlayer
12-27-2009, 11:32 AM
I would suggest biting the bullet and send the head unit to Procharger for a rebuild so it's done right (you're looking at $450 minimum last time I checked).

When you get it back, remove the rest of its components and sell it as a complete kit and then have your friend (you know who) do an Eaton conversion for you?

sounds like win to me

RR|Suki
12-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Get a Novi 2000 ;)

Local Boy
12-28-2009, 06:27 PM
I must agree with the point that over filling it WILL result in blown seals!!!

However, Prochargers are no more prone to fail than any other blower that is NOT maintained correctly...

You really need to look at your alignment of the blower pulley to the other pulleys. If aligned properly, it will provide years of trouble free operation...adjust the BRACKET!

I have #6 and it is still kicking the snot out of any car that challenges it's abilities!!!

I spent a few hours getting the alignment just right...No leaks, No belt throwing, No chatter...Just a sweet whistle...!

Good Luck...

Aloha