PDA

View Full Version : steeda for my mm

yryr999
12-26-2009, 07:19 AM
if i want change the underdrive pulleys for my marauder do i have to tuner my car ?? :confused::confused:

becuse my car is stock and what the no# for underdrive pulleys to order !!

and if i want to change the colis the better change the broken one or all the colis ??

and i change spark plug from wm32 to bosch d7 what the best sparkplug :help:

thank all if you to help me

FordNut
12-26-2009, 07:25 AM
if i want change the underdrive pulleys for my marauder do i have to tuner my car ?? :confused::confused:

Maybe. The alternator voltage may be too low with the underdrive pulleys, easy to fix by raising the idle rpm with a tune.

yryr999
12-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Maybe. The alternator voltage may be too low with the underdrive pulleys, easy to fix by raising the idle rpm with a tune.
thank you that mean allot to me

musclemerc
12-26-2009, 08:21 AM
You should have a tuner to up the rpm's to 900 @ idle. As far as the pullies go Steeda Pullies HB 1476-N & EP023 & EP022
DO NOT USE THE ALT PULLY. (the MM alt pully has a clutch that engages @WOT to turn the alt off that in turn saves like 3~4 hp).As far as the coils go either get a single stock replacement or go with either the Granatelli Motorsports (from JC Whitney) or the more affordable Accel (from ebay). Hope this helps!

FordNut
12-26-2009, 08:50 AM
(the MM alt pully has a clutch that engages @WOT to turn the alt off that in turn saves like 3~4 hp).!

This is wrong. Please learn how it really works before spreading misinformation.

The alternator pulley has a one-way clutch. It allows the alternator to free-wheel when the throttle is closed suddenly. That reduces belt wear and noise. A totally different function is that the alternator is turned off at WOT in the OEM tune. It is done by shutting off the voltage to the field coils in the alternator. The PCM does this with control signals to the alternator.

musclemerc
12-26-2009, 09:57 AM
This is wrong. Please learn how it really works before spreading misinformation.

The alternator pulley has a one-way clutch. It allows the alternator to free-wheel when the throttle is closed suddenly. That reduces belt wear and noise. A totally different function is that the alternator is turned off at WOT in the OEM tune. It is done by shutting off the voltage to the field coils in the alternator. The PCM does this with control signals to the alternator.
It was not my intent to spread misinformation, I just got this from Lideo's xcal2 adveritsing and for years this is how i though it worked. Here's the quote:
" One very cool feature we've unlocked on our Marauder tune is the ability to shut off the alternator at “Wide-Open-Throttle”. The Marauder is one of the few Ford vehicles that came from the factory with the ability to shut off the Alternator at WOT, but Ford choose not to take advantage of. By shutting off the alternator at WOT we found this alone to be worth 4-5 RWHP with no adverse affects on the vehicle. "

281MERC
12-26-2009, 12:50 PM

i had no idea of this one way clutch. so your saying when the transmission shifts and the RPMs drop suddenly the coils in the alternator keep spinning faster than that of the alternator pulley to help belt wear and noise? IMO a A/C type pulley clutch would work better to free up a little more hp

MrBluGruv
12-26-2009, 01:01 PM
I've got the MM U/D pulley set I'll be glad to let go of for $160 plus shipping plus paypal fee if you're interested. Completely new and unused. PM me if you're interested.

FordNut
12-26-2009, 04:11 PM
(the MM alt pully has a clutch that engages @WOT to turn the alt off that in turn saves like 3~4 hp).

It was not my intent to spread misinformation, I just got this from Lideo's xcal2 adveritsing and for years this is how i though it worked. Here's the quote:
" One very cool feature we've unlocked on our Marauder tune is the ability to shut off the alternator at “Wide-Open-Throttle”. The Marauder is one of the few Ford vehicles that came from the factory with the ability to shut off the Alternator at WOT, but Ford choose not to take advantage of. By shutting off the alternator at WOT we found this alone to be worth 4-5 RWHP with no adverse affects on the vehicle. "

Cool, I've just heard the incorrect info on how it works so many times and made corrections that I would have thought everybody knows the correct info by now. What Lidio is referring to is the feature of being able to turn off the alternator at WOT in the tune by having the PCM turn off voltage to the field coils.

i had no idea of this one way clutch. so your saying when the transmission shifts and the RPMs drop suddenly the coils in the alternator keep spinning faster than that of the alternator pulley to help belt wear and noise? IMO a A/C type pulley clutch would work better to free up a little more hp

I don't know if it would have any effect at shifts, but when you're wide open and suddenly let off the throttle it will certainly allow the alternator to freewheel. The purpose of the clutch is NOT to free up more HP, it is to reduce noise and belt wear.

ImpalaSlayer
12-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't know if it would have any effect at shifts, but when you're wide open and suddenly let off the throttle it will certainly allow the alternator to freewheel. The purpose of the clutch is NOT to free up more HP, it is to reduce noise and belt wear.

how much you think can actually help? all the trilogys and customs like you and me it must not be much.

rayjay
12-28-2009, 06:09 AM
If your car is mostly stock, stick with the OEM plugs. Take it from someone that spent the coin trying different plugs only to learn that the OEMs were the best for my 04 DTR. The last time my car was dyno'd, it was verified that my car had lost 30hp by going to iridium plugs. Putting the OEMs back in put the 30hp back in. That cost me 300 clams to learn... :shake: