PDA

View Full Version : NewYork Drivers or Legal Eagles

Da Dark Jedi
12-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Quick question... Does the state of NewYork crush vehicles of persons who are caught and convicted of Drag racing? What is the procedure?

W4LTD
12-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Quick question... Does the state of NewYork crush vehicles of persons who are caught and convicted of Drag racing? What is the procedure?

The Westchester County (NY) Board of Legislators has approved landmark legislation that would require the forfeiture of vehicles for those convicted of operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs or while engaged in unlawful speed contests or drag races throughout Westchester County.

http://www.westchester.com/Westchester_News/Government/Legislators_Pass_DWI_Vehicle_F orfeiture_Law_2009102212250.ht ml

SpartaPerformance
12-26-2009, 05:08 PM
The Westchester County (NY) Board of Legislators has approved landmark legislation that would require the forfeiture of vehicles for those convicted of operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs or while engaged in unlawful speed contests or drag races throughout Westchester County.

http://www.westchester.com/Westchester_News/Government/Legislators_Pass_DWI_Vehicle_F orfeiture_Law_2009102212250.ht ml

That applies to NYC and Long Island as well. As for crushing.... not down here they will use your car as an undercover or sell it at auction, or dress it up in police stripes and use it as a highway 3 patrol car like one of my customer found out the hard way about a decade ago during operation Hermes 3. Did any of you see the MM&FF cover a few years back with them on it, the GT WAS his.

Blackened300a
12-26-2009, 08:59 PM
That applies to NYC and Long Island as well. As for crushing.... not down here they will use your car as an undercover or sell it at auction, or dress it up in police stripes and use it as a highway 3 patrol car like one of my customer found out the hard way about a decade ago during operation Hermes 3. Did any of you see the MM&FF cover a few years back with them on it, the GT WAS his.

I actually have that article.

Motorhead350
12-26-2009, 09:53 PM
I actually have that article.

Me too. I don't know how the police could use that car. It looked like a full blown race car. I seriously doubt they use it to go 0-1/4 mile in ten seconds to catch anyone... or do they?

MrBluGruv
12-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I have a hard time accepting that mentality that it's okay to steal someone's vehicle because of unlawful behavior. Having a driver's license is the priveledge in this nation, not buying a car, so they should revoke their license. If that doesn't work, after a number of strikes (or first offense even) for driving without license, impose a fine or appropriate jail time. Whatever other method for crime punishment and deterrent, but the theft of one's vehicle for an act like that is absurd.

SpartaPerformance
12-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Me too. I don't know how the police could use that car. It looked like a full blown race car. I seriously doubt they use it to go 0-1/4 mile in ten seconds to catch anyone... or do they?

I don't think they still use that car, it was seized back in the late 90's. When they first put it on patrol it had the Vortech on it and it was a sight to see.... and hear.

Motorhead350
12-26-2009, 10:42 PM
I have a hard time accepting that mentality that it's okay to steal someone's vehicle because of unlawful behavior. Having a driver's license is the priveledge in this nation, not buying a car, so they should revoke their license. If that doesn't work, after a number of strikes (or first offense even) for driving without license, impose a fine or appropriate jail time. Whatever other method for crime punishment and deterrent, but the theft of one's vehicle for an act like that is absurd.

Well as The Dead Kennedys say in their version of I Fought The Law "The law don't mean ******* if you've got the right friends, that's how this countries runned."

ChiTownMaraud3r
12-27-2009, 12:35 AM

I agree, besides you don't need a drivers license to purchase a vehicle. It's ridiculous alone to have a vehicle confiscated for good, imagine having it crushed..

MrBluGruv
12-27-2009, 12:45 AM
imagine having it crushed..

I try not to.:bigcry:

Quite obviously not everyone views vehicles, let alone built vehicles, the same as some of us in the enthusiast community. To let such a beautiful tool be destroyed, undeservingly as is not of it's own accord, just shameful...

Glenn
12-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Keep voting for more "Change". New York has no one but themselves to blame for their local and state governments. That's why 100,000 people fled NY state in 2009. They could not put up with ridiculous laws and unreal taxes. :eek:

Glenn Ford :burnout:

jgc61sr2002
12-27-2009, 01:50 PM
The NYPD will paint it white and use it for Highway Patrol.

They currently have a blown Mustang that was confiscated.

Da Dark Jedi
12-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Keep voting for more "Change". New York has no one but themselves to blame for their local and state governments. That's why 100,000 people fled NY state in 2009. They could not put up with ridiculous laws and unreal taxes. :eek:

Glenn Ford :burnout:

We are going thru the same here, I don't remember the numbers but people are feed up here in The Windy City. You should have been here during the early 80's... During our "Council Wars"!

Big Black Beast
12-27-2009, 08:13 PM
The problem with this is that who knows how overzealously it will be applied. Most laws are vaguely written, and leave some room for interpretation. I know a guy that got a speed racing ticket for accelerating too quickly while coming out of a gas station because it was an "exhibition of speed". What if you need to get in the left lane and speed up to get ahead of the car next to you and get popped for "speed racing"? And what if some cop just wants your car? There is always room for abuse whenever personal or financial gain is concerned. And what's next? If you hit someone at night in a crosswalk and get convicted of "assault" do they get your car? If you get caught going over 100 mph do they get to keep your car? If you get too many photo radar tickets do they get to keep your car? Laws like this are written by self-congratulatory lawmakers often as knee jerk reactions to some kid in his souped up car being reckless and causing an accident. Sopposedly, it sets an "example" for others. The problem is, this really isn't relevant to most people. Young, inexperienced drivers will still continue to do stupid things no matter how many laws are written or what the consequences are. But that doesn't mean somebody else won't have to pay the price anyway.