PDA

View Full Version : Can I rebuild the blower myself?

Motorhead350
01-07-2010, 04:18 AM
We touched on the subject that my impeller seal and/or bearing might be shot which is what is causing my leak. What does it take to fix this? Can I simply order the parts, get the right tools and do it an hour or is this a whole lot more difficult than it seems? :confused:

I'm just tired of send it away and having to wait weeks or even a few months for it back. I bet more than half the cost of the repair is the labor, maybe even more than half. I took the blower to Zack the first time and he said his ability stopped before he could get to the seals. The reason being he didn't have the tools for this part.

Does anyone have an idea on the cost of the seals, where to order them, the tools and how difficult this actually is?

Thank you.

BTW what about taking it to a machine shop if I have the seals? I do not even know where they are located in or on the blower. Any info would be great.

FordNut
01-07-2010, 05:57 AM
The impeller seal is a unique, proprietary seal from ProCharger and they won't sell it. They will install it for you though...

RR|Suki
01-07-2010, 06:34 AM
To be frank, if Zack is saying his ability ends at that seal, I don't see how you are going to tackle it. Plus if the seal really isn't generally sold... Just sell the thing and get a different brand blower at this point. Maybe offer to trade someone selling a vortech on one of the mustang sites

justbob
01-07-2010, 07:12 AM
I guarantee these guys http://www.aurorabearing.com/products/default.html will have in stock everything you need, except the tool. They have never failed me, no matter how weird or complicated the bearing, race, bushing, or seal has been. They have great counter guys that can take one look at it and have it matched up in minutes with a far more superior product.

Darrin
01-07-2010, 07:25 AM
I have 'rebuilt' several of the Vortech units. I was told that the seal was only available from Vortech and found that to be true. If I wanted to use their worthless POS seal that is. Instead I found a local vendor of a MUCH better Viton seal that I have since used on all of them that I have done. Darn bunch cheaper than I would have imagined too.

In reality, pretty much no vendor out there has a seal that you can't get elsewhere. Why? Because they usually don't make them in house. Also usually when something like the product we are talking about here is designed, it is mostly designed around existing pieces to keep the cost of the final product in check. So, I would bet that there is more than one manufacturer that makes a seal that will fit and it's likely that you will find a better product since you are only purchasing one and are not worried about the cost of the part from a manufacturing cost perspective.

Issue is that you need the seal from the unit to be able to measure it. That might be the real problem you will run into.

Darrin

Motorhead350
01-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Sounds like the best bet is just to send it away and have a pro deal with it and shell out hundreds of dollars. Sign*

Darrin
01-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Sounds like the best bet is just to send it away and have a pro deal with it and shell out hundreds of dollars. Sign*

If you do that then ask if you can get your old parts back. Particularly the seal in question. If you can then you can measure it and have that info for future reference.

Darrin