PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a tune

mherman18
01-09-2010, 02:16 PM
I have an '03 with a JLT intake and am wanting to get a tune. This will be the only tuning I plan on doing other than maybe some exhaust work. My speedo is off due to changing the rear tires so I would like to fix this issue. I would like it to be as painless as possible. I understand some of the locked and unlocked talk but am looking for the easiest solution.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

SC Cheesehead
01-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Three tuners with lots of Marauder experience:

Lidio
Dennis Reinhart
Zack

ImpalaSlayer
01-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Three tuners with lots of Marauder experience:

Lidio
Dennis Reinhart
Zack

i only see 2

mherman18
01-09-2010, 02:28 PM
I see Innovative Interceptors (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30) and Alternative Automotive (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40) but both look like they are Lidio if I am correct.

fastblackmerc
01-09-2010, 02:29 PM
I see Innovative Interceptors (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30) and Alternative Automotive (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40) but both look like they are Lidio if I am correct.

Correct.......

mherman18
01-09-2010, 02:32 PM
So what would be the difference b/w buying from one and not the other.

Big Black Beast
01-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Sort of thread jacking here, but who did the Trilogy tune?
Is it a Lideo tune made to work w/ the SC?
So does it also encorporate the shift changes?
Just trying to plan my future here...

Glockafella
01-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Lidios tune is not compatable with exhaust work...It is made for stock exhaust set up. But will work with that JLT fine.

As far as fixing the Speedo, call Lidio with the specifics on the Rear tire size, he may work with you. When I had my Lidio tune it was locked when I loaded it and I couldnt get the Speedo perfect. Heres a Revs per Mile Calulator http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/tirecalc.html

MrBluGruv
01-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Lidios tune is not compatable with exhaust work...It is made for stock exhaust set up. But will work with that JLT fine.

As far as fixing the Speedo, call Lidio with the specifics on the Rear tire size, he may work with you. When I had my Lidio tune it was locked when I loaded it and I couldnt get the Speedo perfect. Heres a Revs per Mile Calulator http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/tirecalc.html

Well now that's not true, I've been running a Lidio tune with my exhaust setup for almost a year now and it feels phenomenal. Course my tune oddly didn't have many specs locked like I hear some guys say, so I've made personal adjustments to the idle, AFR at WOT, and ignition timing globally and for specific RPM ranges.

Glockafella
01-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Well now that's not true, I've been running a Lidio tune with my exhaust setup for almost a year now and it feels phenomenal. Course my tune oddly didn't have many specs locked like I hear some guys say, so I've made personal adjustments to the idle, AFR at WOT, and ignition timing globally and for specific RPM ranges.

Lidio himself told me that his tune was designed to work with a stock exhaust only.

I am sure small exhaust work wouldnt hurt the tune, but I bet if you did any moderate to heavy exhaust changes, a custom dyno tune would get you much better results.

MrBluGruv
01-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Well if headers are the only thing that would constitute serious exhaust changes, then indeed you'd need a new tune no matter who you went with. As for me, I'm running catless with some pretty well-flowing mufflers and non-resonated angle-cut tips, so I'd personally consider that to be of a higher flow than stock, but not headers kind of flow.

Either way take it as you see it, but this is my experience with his tune and my exhaust.

Glockafella
01-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Well if headers are the only thing that would constitute serious exhaust changes, then indeed you'd need a new tune no matter who you went with. As for me, I'm running catless with some pretty well-flowing mufflers and non-resonated angle-cut tips, so I'd personally consider that to be of a higher flow than stock, but not headers kind of flow.

Either way take it as you see it, but this is my experience with his tune and my exhaust.

Well this guys looking for a mail order tune.
As said before,

Dennis Reinhart
Lidio
or Zack

these are the most common on this forum. Zacks in the only one I know that will leave his unlocked for future changes.

Lidio and Dennis have very good quality tunes, I would consider both pretty safe.

mherman18
01-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Ok the only exhaust i plan on doing is removing a set of cats and maybe different mufflers.

4play
01-09-2010, 11:11 PM
i'm looking to get a tune as well. thinking i'm going to have to go with a Reinhart tune because I live in alberta canada and I hear in order to get a Lidio tune I'll have to go pick one up from his shop. Ive just heard bad things about how the Reinhart tune shifts the transmision.

imorb1994
01-09-2010, 11:24 PM
In my opinion DR's tune is a waste of time and money, Lidio doesn't seem to like to sell his tune I agree with that.
Only leaves 1 option: Z

musclemerc
01-10-2010, 08:54 AM
ZACK all the way! No disrespect to the other guy's but this guy in my opinion got the MM tune dead on.

mherman18
01-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Does anyone have contact info for Zack? Why is his tune so highly rated and isnt it an opinion everyone says different about the tunes some like zack or dr or lidio.

musclemerc
01-10-2010, 10:53 AM
I have his email addy but to be safe PM Impalaslayer I think he can get you in direct contact with him. This will be the best money you can spend on your MM.

imorb1994
01-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Does anyone have contact info for Zack? Why is his tune so highly rated and isnt it an opinion everyone says different about the tunes some like zack or dr or lidio.

First person I called for a tune was Lidio, He said he no longer does mail order tunes. That I would need to stop by, The only mod I had was a K&N CAI. Next DR. I believe the car ran better on the stock tune, with his tune in my car it used gas like no other and the shifts were crap.
Zack's tune is more emphasized on shift schedule change, And he leaves all the parameter open in his tune so that you can change what ever you want, performance wise. DR and Lidio's tunes you can not do this.

4play
01-10-2010, 07:16 PM
ok so I have to buy an x cal 2 or 3 and mail it to him or he gets one programs it and sends it to me, also I could only pay by credit card,

SC Cheesehead
01-10-2010, 07:19 PM
ok so I have to buy an x cal 2 or 3 and mail it to him or he gets one programs it and sends it to me, also I could only pay by credit card,

Best bet is to contact him directly and see what he has set up.

imorb1994
01-10-2010, 07:22 PM
You need to find/ buy and excal 2 or 3 and he can email you a tune. And might want to get in touch with him about payment. If you want there are several people that have his contact info(my self included). If so just ask in a PM.

4play
01-10-2010, 09:22 PM
there must be alot of things to set up on x cal 2, how hard could it be just to buy one, and play with i yourself till you find the "sweet spot?''

SC Cheesehead
01-11-2010, 05:12 AM
there must be alot of things to set up on x cal 2, how hard could it be just to buy one, and play with i yourself till you find the "sweet spot?''

Uhhh, have you had a lot of experience with tuning?

Also, if you buy an XCal from one a tuner, the tune is normally loaded on it, so you're not actually paying a whole lot for a tune to begin with.

4play
01-12-2010, 03:33 PM
well My GF says i'm good at finding her sweet spot, and we all know there's nothing more complicated then a girl, so how hard could a ford be?

ctrlraven
01-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Contact Zack, find a used SCT XCAL 2 (locked or unlocked) on ebay, he may just have you send it to him or even I can help you unlock it. He will email you the tune, using LiveLoad you upload the tune file to your flash tuner, load the file into your car and HAVE FUN!!!

First thing you will need is your PCM code so he can get you the right tune.

mherman18
01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
I have tried to contact zack and can not get a hold of him.

4play
01-12-2010, 09:13 PM
he got back to me, just email him. where would I find my pcm code?

Glockafella
01-12-2010, 09:15 PM
open yor driver door, look at the inside of the door opening on the car, not the door, the car near the door hinge. Its a white sticker with black lettering. Mine is BMDO, yours could be that or some other Code

4play
01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
ok thanks, I was phoning around for priceing for the xcal2 or 3 found a place that sells both for 400 bucks Zack told me that his tune only works for the cal2 so I guess thats the better one? also if there is better priceing somewhere where can I find one cheaper?