PDA

View Full Version : edelbrock springs and 255 tires?

darebren
11-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Is anyone using the eibach front springs and also lowered the rear by an inch, and also using 255 series pirelli tires on the stock rims? is there room with the car lowered?

I thought Mac had the tires, but not sure if the springs ever worked as well?

Zack
11-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Edelbrock has springs for the MM?
Whats the Part #?

MMM2003
11-03-2003, 07:50 PM
I'm sure he means Eibach Springs not Edelbrock.
Just a typo.

All the KB MM's are lowered. They just cut-off one coil, which gives you almost the same effect as the Eibach springs. I'm pretty sure they also lower the rear to compensate for the lowered front.

All KB-MM's come with the Pirelli 255's standard and as far as I know do not have a problem hitting the wheel housing, but I'll let one of the KB-MM owners take it from here.

SergntMac
11-03-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by darebren
Is anyone using the edelbrock springs and also lowered the rear by an inch, and also using 255 series pirelli tires on the stock rims? is there room with the car lowered?

I thought Mac had the tires, but not sure if the springs ever worked as well?

You're close...I don't have the Eibach springs, but I am lowered all around.

Center of the front fender lip is 27" off the pavement on my car with the Pirelli 255/45 tire. The Eibachs measured out at 27.5 with BFG tire. The back end was dropped manually, and with the Pirelli 255/50 tire, the center of my rear fender lip is 28.5" from the pavement. Frame is 4.5" off the pavement at the jack point behind the front wheel wells. Seems to be plenty of room left inside the wheel wells, I stuffed a set of MT ET Streets in 28X11.50/17 in the back with no sweat. No tire contact anywhere, front or rear. Here's a pic

darebren
11-04-2003, 06:25 AM
I edited my orginal post, correction=eibach not edelbrock.

I recall Dennis was distributing the springs as well now, will call him and order a set. On a grease monkey scale 1 to 5, how many hours per side are we looking at with common tools in the driveway?

Also, do we need any special tools, spring compressor, pickle fork, etc...

thanks in advance for any tips...I'll do a search for more info as well.

TAF
11-04-2003, 06:42 AM
I edited my orginal post, correction=eibach not edelbrock.

I recall Dennis was distributing the springs as well now, will call him and order a set. On a grease monkey scale 1 to 5, how many hours per side are we looking at with common tools in the driveway?

thanks in advance for any tips...I'll do a search for more info as well.

The springs are NOT a DIY project, darebren. Unless you have a lift, a spring press and a lot more than hand-tools around the house.

The whole front strut assembly has to come out. Find a place to get it done, and...I couldn't recommend the springs any higher...as Tony says..."THEY'RE GRRRRRRRREAT!!!"

martyo
11-04-2003, 07:07 AM
Don't forget the car will need to be realigned after the springs are in! And, make sure you go to the right shop for the alignment. More than one of our MMembers has complained about scratched wheels. There ain't nothin' worse than having a scratch on your bling bling.

John F. Russo
11-05-2003, 02:05 PM
SergntMac said it all for me!

Wheel Alignment Issue
Even though Kenny Brown had given me new specs for the alignment of my car since my car was lowered like SergntMac's car, my dealer (Wall's Lincoln Mercury, MA) could not use those specs despite their best efforts with KB's staff. Regardless, the Wall's team got my car aligned properly. Hat's off to that excellent team!

There was suspicion that the car had changed after I had driven the car about 6,000 miles. I don't know how. (My car has a 5 in. ground clearance which is close to SergntMac's car stated above at 4.5 in.)

I have just finished profiling my tread wear on all my tires. The data will be presented in the next few days. The new thread will be called "Tire Tread Wear Profile". I'm trying to avoid the formatting problems I had when I typed data in columns on this web site before.

______________________________ _____________
2003 Blue 300B (Canadian) (reversed traction control, mini spare,
trunked 6 disc CD changer,clock-in-the-radio, heated front
seats, hood light)
-Born 12/10/02
-12,000 miles
-18 mpg at a steady speed of 80 mph
-Stock transmission (upgraded with Performance Automatic
clutches and band after stock tranny failed in 8,800 miles)
-Wheel locks (Ford)
-Badgeless front grille by “Zack”
-Zaino waxing
Kenny Brown: 6th “signature series” conversion (450 hp) Born 3/28/03
-Dead pedal
-Baer front brakes 14 in. two piston, vented rotors
-MMX Driveshaft
-377 RWTQ
-4.10 gears
-Vortech supercharger (7 to 8 psig boost)
-Pirelli P-Zero Asymmetric (front 255/45ZR18 99Y;rear
255/50ZR18 102Y)
-FordChip
-One coil of each front stock spring removed to produce
the “same” effect as an Eibach spring
-Ground clearance: 5 in.
______________________________ ______________________
1961 Ford Galaxie, 2 dr. Club Victoria, 390CID, 375hp, 4 barrel

Petrograde
11-05-2003, 02:30 PM

On a grease monkey scale 1 to 5, how many hours per side are we looking at with common tools in the driveway?

Like TAF said, not for the DIY'er! I have personally seen a spring compressor fail, it punched a hole in a cinder block and scared every one in the shop.

As a mechanic, I am technically able to do it,.. with the right tools of course,.. but I won't! I guess I'm still a little gun shy from it. I'll pay a braver soul than I to do it!

Tom