PDA

View Full Version : Don't waste your money on "special" cleaning products.

Motorhead350
01-12-2010, 10:34 AM
One of the last nice days we had in this city I spend over an hour cleaning my engine with Windex and paper towels. To this day it still looks clean even with all the salt and other stuff it's maintained looking great. I really couldn't believe this stuff for engines.

Tires, interiors, wheels, body... I haven't used it in those areas and do not plan on it. As far as your engine is concerned, just go at it with Windex for an hour and thank me later.

This may sound silly to those of you who want to win best of show, but those who drive em all the time and want to have a nice engine to show off when someone asks... give Windex a try.

a_d_a_m
01-12-2010, 11:07 AM
I'll stick with Simple Green.

Glockafella
01-12-2010, 11:12 AM

agreed. Although, my motor isnt very greasy or leaking oil, I prefer a motor cleaning product with some sort of de-greasing agent. I am also unsure about using a primarily ammonia based cleaning product on everythnig under my hood. But if it works well for you, GREAT!

fastblackmerc
01-12-2010, 11:19 AM
agreed. Although, my motor isnt very greasy or leaking oil, I prefer a motor cleaning product with some sort of de-greasing agent. I am also unsure about using a primarily ammonia based cleaning product on everythnig under my hood. But if it works well for you, GREAT!

I use a citrus engine cleaner.

In between cleanings....

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/MM%20Mods/Valve%20Covers/Rightside.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/MM%20Mods/Valve%20Covers/Leftside.jpg

DOOM
01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Lemon pledge works great too! :up:

musclemerc
01-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Lemon pledge works great too! :up:
+1 for the pledge!

SC Cheesehead
01-13-2010, 05:30 AM

Same here. I use a 1:2 mixture, spray it on, leave it for a couple minutes, then just hose down. Follow up with a light coating of More Shine (shoutout to Blackened300A for the tip) and you're good to go.

CooLManZilla
02-01-2010, 09:16 PM
anyone actually use a hose on the engine?
I would be afraid to

Mike
02-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I would be afraid to

Yep, Simple Green on a cool enging. Let sit for a few, scrub w/soft brush where needed and then hose off :D

fastblackmerc
02-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Same here. I use a 1:2 mixture, spray it on, leave it for a couple minutes, then just hose down. Follow up with a light coating of More Shine (shoutout to Blackened300A for the tip) and you're good to go.

I use CD2 Engine Detailer to keep it shiny.

Embassy
02-02-2010, 06:04 AM
Do not use any detail/shine products that have petroleum distillants. They are bad for the engine bay's rubber items.

NATEHAWK
02-02-2010, 06:28 AM
I use Mothers Back to Black on everything thats Black under the hood. Been working great for years

Paul T. Casey
02-02-2010, 07:10 AM
I would be afraid to
I do. It's no different than driving through a puddle.

marvin
02-02-2010, 08:48 AM
To the users of simple green. please be careful when using the product. it is important that u dont get any of it on your pulleys. they will start squeaking. i have seen people make this mistake time and time again. it cleans all of the packing grease out of the pulleys. simple green works great but has a high acid content. the same goes for most of your degreasers. if you truly keep your mm clean, then you should only have to use soapy water to clean your engine. lets not get lazy people. car is too beautiful for that.

CooLManZilla
02-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I do. It's no different than driving through a puddle.

I dont know what kind of puddles you are driving through.
But a splash from under the hood seems quite different to me than a powerful spray down onto the engine bay.
I would still be afraid to do it without sealing off all the electrical components and fluid fills.:hide:

fastblackmerc
02-05-2010, 07:53 AM
I dont know what kind of puddles you are driving through.
But a splash from under the hood seems quite different to me than a powerful spray down onto the engine bay.
I would still be afraid to do it without sealing off all the electrical components and fluid fills.:hide:

I wash under my hood all the time, no sealing of anything. The key is to not use high pressure and don't spray directly on anything electrical.

Embassy
02-06-2010, 09:51 AM
A leaf blower quickly removes any puddles and evacuates water from tight places in the engine bay. Just ignore the odd looks you'll receive from neighbors. :cool:

4play
02-07-2010, 02:11 PM
spray mine down with gasoline, let it soak, rinse down. re spray it with deisel fuel let sit hose down, looks like new.

fastblackmerc
02-07-2010, 02:26 PM
A leaf blower quickly removes any puddles and evacuates water from tight places in the engine bay. Just ignore the odd looks you'll receive from neighbors. :cool:

I use my air compressor.

fastblackmerc
02-07-2010, 02:29 PM
spray mine down with gasoline, let it soak, rinse down. re spray it with deisel fuel let sit hose down, looks like new.

Do you smoke while doing it... cleaning the engine I mean.....

CBT
02-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Do you smoke while doing it.

Uhhhh.....should I say it?:D

Phrog_gunner
02-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Uhhhh.....should I say it?:D

Baccardi and Cola...DOOO IT!

You missed a couple good ones in the Blizzard thread...

69428SCJ
02-07-2010, 07:13 PM
To the users of simple green. please be careful when using the product. it is important that u dont get any of it on your pulleys. they will start squeaking. i have seen people make this mistake time and time again. it cleans all of the packing grease out of the pulleys. simple green works great but has a high acid content. the same goes for most of your degreasers. if you truly keep your mm clean, then you should only have to use soapy water to clean your engine. lets not get lazy people. car is too beautiful for that.

You can put my name down on that list! So now how do I correct it?

SC Cheesehead
02-07-2010, 07:16 PM
I wash under my hood all the time, no sealing of anything. The key is to not use high pressure and don't spray directly on anything electrical.[/quote]

+1

[quote=marvin;859292]To the users of simple green. please be careful when using the product. it is important that u dont get any of it on your pulleys. they will start squeaking. i have seen people make this mistake time and time again. it cleans all of the packing grease out of the pulleys. simple green works great but has a high acid content. the same goes for most of your degreasers. if you truly keep your mm clean, then you should only have to use soapy water to clean your engine. lets not get lazy people. car is too beautiful for that.

I've been using simple green for 6+ years then hosing down with water, no problems yet, that makes me lazy? :dunno:

HotRodKristina
04-06-2010, 03:50 PM
I use 'Greased Lightning' from AutoZone, a bit of scrubbing where needed, and a good rinse & dry.