PDA

View Full Version : A Quality Wax

Rider90
11-06-2003, 06:06 AM
Well since my car was painted a couple weeks ago when I got the Bondurant Bumper, it has gotten rather dirty. I plan to keep this paint in tip-top shape so suggest your favorite polish and why :) If you want, of course. Thanks!

Long Live #3
11-06-2003, 06:50 AM
My favorite wax is Zaino. It makes the car look showroom new. My friend's dad's MM had about three weeks of dust and dirt all over the car, as soon as he washed with Zaino car wash it looked brand new. I was thoroughly impressed with the results.

67435animal
11-06-2003, 07:08 AM
I use Meguiar's products. They do as good a job as Zaino at half the cost. Main thing is to use a good quality car wash soap and good sponges and soft towels.

Meguiar's makes a full line of auto cleaning and polishing products that are found everywhere.

Zaino's products are good but available only from the Zainos.

Bob

Agent M79
11-06-2003, 07:17 AM
I use Zaino. Others in our local group use Zaino and Meguiar's.

I've never used Meguiar's so I could not give you a side by side.

Ask TAF what he thinks about Zaino.

TheDealer
11-06-2003, 07:21 AM
3M product are the best things on the market. Their perfect it, show car paste wax is the best thing I've ever used on my 70 Mustang show car and all my other cars. This car was painted in 1987 and 3m is all I use.

Racerx88
11-06-2003, 07:38 AM
Zymol, 'nuff said.

sailsmen
11-06-2003, 08:05 AM
Collinite, lots of carnuba. Very tough, good for a daily driver.

Some paints require 120 days cure before waxing.

You can use Meguiars New Car Glaze on new paint, provides some protection.

Agent M79
11-06-2003, 08:37 AM
My first impulse is to recreate THIS. (http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html)

If there is a hood in reasonable condition in my area, I'll load it up in the wife's H***a minivan and do this.

I can keep it in the garage for a while and then if we are feeling long-term froggy, I may have a place I can leave it to be exposed to the elements for whatever amount of time seems good.

67435animal
11-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Agent M79
My first impulse is to recreate THIS. (http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html)

If there is a hood in reasonable condition in my area, I'll load it up in the wife's H***a minivan and do this.

I can keep it in the garage for a while and then if we are feeling long-term froggy, I may have a place I can leave it to be exposed to the elements for whatever amount of time seems good.

Sounds goog to me.

Bob

bigslim
11-06-2003, 09:53 AM
Believe it or not I use good old fashion Turtle Wax. I have had others in their MMs ask me what I use. No exspensive wax here, just something I have used for years.

Bigdogjim
11-06-2003, 09:54 AM
Hey if any wants a "test" Marauder...use mine.......paint is about as bad as it gets.......I don't think any wax will help.............I am locked in a"death" struggle with the dealer...............I think they sanded it with steel wool and painted it with a roller :mad:

CRC
11-06-2003, 09:57 AM
I own and operate a full service car wash and detail shop in Oklahoma. I have been in the business of car care for over 15 years. The 3M products are very very good products, we use the perfect it wax for our retail customers, and every body loves it. The Zymol is a good product also, But it is difficult to use (on black anyway). By far the most superior product I have ever found is the Zaino. I offer this service to my customers and highly recommend it to my customers with black cars. If you apply it per instructions it is fantastic, and gives a gloss like no other product ever. It also hides so many paint flaws. It is also very easy to maintain after the initial application. I have never found a product even close to Zaino in over 15 years. If you haven't use the product, DO! But follow the instructions to the letter, or the results will be less than expected. Any comments, fire away.
P.S. I wash my MM at least once a week and we are a frictionless wash (no Brushes) and wash 7000-8000 cars per month. The cars with Zaino including mine are not effected by the chemicals, and actually are easier to clean.

Agent M79
11-06-2003, 10:33 AM
CRC makes an excellent point and that is the maintenance issue.

I washed my car for the first time a week or so after I got it.

Then I washed it per Zaino's instructions with original Blue dawn about a week later. Then I waxed it as per Zaino's instructions. The next week, washed with Zaino's car wash stuff and waxed again to make sure I picked up areas I may have missed the previous week. Then I put the gloss enhancer on.

It takes me 2/3rds the time to wash my car now than it did before. The bugs come off the front with a damp towel when I am without a hose. With the hose all but the most stubborn bug guts comes off with the initial rinse.

I am one of those nutty guys that also cleans the door jambs, around the inside of the trunk and hood at each wash. After about 5 washes, I Zaino'd those areas too and they are way easier to clean now as well.

I am also one of those nutty guys that uses a leaf blower to dry his car. With Zaino the time to do this is cut down. The water seems to fly off easier/better/faster.

I think we'll have to talk about the experiment at our upcoming meeting. I'll add it to the agenda. I think it would be interesting.

Petrograde
11-06-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Agent M79

I am one of those nutty guys that also cleans the door jambs, around the inside of the trunk and hood at each wash. After about 5 washes, I Zaino'd those areas too and they are way easier to clean now as well.

I am also one of those nutty guys that uses a leaf blower to dry his car. With Zaino the time to do this is cut down. The water seems to fly off easier/better/faster.

glad to hear I'm not the only one that cleans the door jams! I also detail under the hood,.. and I have found that Zaino's plastic cleaner / polish works great in the wheel wells!

I don't use a leaf blower, mainly cause I live in an apartment and don't have a leaf blower.

Anyway, I have used Meguir's ,.. it's descent. But, after using Zaino,.. I'll never use anything else ever again.

Tom

prchrman
11-06-2003, 11:54 AM
I use blue coral liquid...works fine...lasts very well...
Dealer...howz abouts keeping that old guy out of your pictures so we can gawk at that beautiful mustang...

CRC
11-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Where are you Zaino users buying the products? Just curious.

Agent M79
11-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Get Zaino here. Tell them Dave sent you... and they'll have no idea who you are talking about.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

CRC
11-06-2003, 12:45 PM
I buy quantity for the detail shop from a local guy. Get a price break based on $$$ spent. I was just wondering if any one else buys from a local dist.

Agent M79
11-06-2003, 01:15 PM
...and just to let all the special ladies out there know... when you are done with the Zaino treatment on your car, your nails will absolutely sparkle!

jgc61sr2002
11-06-2003, 02:01 PM
I have been detailing cars for years and the only wax I like especially on black or dark colors is Zaino. No streaks and a long lasting finish.:D :up:

TheDealer
11-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by prchrman
I use blue coral liquid...works fine...lasts very well...
Dealer...howz abouts keeping that old guy out of your pictures so we can gawk at that beautiful mustang...

Is this better????

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/85/7dmach1.jpg

chapel1
11-06-2003, 05:57 PM
I use mother's #3 Carnauba Wax on my Marauder and I like it.And use Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish on my rear Differential cover.That said I know that I'm going to have to see for myself how good the Zanio is.The endorsements on this site would be reason enough to give it a try.Waxing my car is fun and I really don't care how long it lasts.I just want maximum shine.

Silver_04
11-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Zaino. Bird droppings, bugs and dirt just about hose right off. Also, using just their enhancer spray after a wash (on a polished car) gives the car a crazy shine-even on silver.

Marsha
11-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Zaino is the absolute best, follow instructions and you will not be sorry! Water beads and runs off it like crazy - deep penetrating shine! Got the leather cleaner - awesome. No comparison to any other products I used on my 67 Chevelle - gotta love it!
Marsha:D

Agent M79
11-08-2003, 12:25 AM
When I first started studying up on wax products, most mentions were Zaino. So I looked it up.

The near obsessive level of detail in the website was odd to me at first. I would exclaim to my wife "Zaino is insane-o! This guy is nuts."

But, given my frequency of being wrong and being ok with being wrong I ordered up his kit and followed the instructions. I raved like a madman at the results. I was astonished.

Now my wife says "Forget Zaino, YOU'RE insane-o!"

P.S.: She drew the line when I asked her if she wanted me to Zaino the refrigerator!

(edited to add P.S.)

Petrograde
11-08-2003, 12:28 AM
Sal Zaino should be a vendor here!

Merc-O-matic
11-08-2003, 10:19 AM
Yah, Where is Sal Zaino?

Glenn
11-10-2003, 09:12 AM
I believe that Zaino is a great product, But, for the price and convenience you cannot beat McGuiar's Wax & Clean at $5.00 a bottle. I just did my MM last night. I was surprised on how easily it went on and came off and it looks great.

Glenn

TripleTransAm
11-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Now that I've tried Zaino on some of my cars (some of them previously pampered by Mothers only), I've noticed some differences.

I feel the Zaino is easier to apply than Mothers but I understand Meguiars is pretty easy as well.

Shine: well, the Zaino has a colder "blue'er" shine. The Mothers stuff seemed to have this warm glow about it. I thought the Zaino effect looked good on my GTA with its sharp lines, but having just completed the first couple of layers of Zaino on my WS6, I think I prefered the way Mothers accentuated the curves. Seemed easier to mask imperfections with the Mothers, though... Zaino seems to make blemishes really shine. ;)

Durability: that comparison web page testing several different waxes on an NSX hood is full of $#!t. I hadn't waxed my WS6 in over a year, and it's been outside most of the time as my second garage spot was occupied at first by my '78 and also by my Marauder. It's been through rain, sun, dirt, etc... and there was still a nice layer of wax on it. Verifiable by the way I could perform my 'sheet the water off the car' drying trick. The clay and Dawn stripped all of it off, last month... there was a DEFINITE difference once I did this. Proof that Mothers does NOT disappear within a month, as that site proclaimed. Add to this with regular usage of the instant detailer after every wash, and I can see a garaged car going 2 years before needing a new coat of wax. Zaino seems to prolong the time before the car looks like it needs a wash, in comparison with the Mothers stuff.

Protection: Carnauba wax is supposedly a UV barrier as it is. As for other elements, I had bird crap on my WS6 for months without any visible aftereffect. In contrast, within 3 hours of bird crap landing on my freshly Zaino'ed Marauder, I had permanent paint damage, twice. Could be a coincidence, but...

Surprisingly enough, a lot of the tricks and tips on the Zaino web site will work wonders with other multi-step products (ie. application techniques, letting the glaze step dry overnight, etc.). If you do decide to use Mothers or Meguiars, do follow the 3 step program... it's worth it.

Meanwhile, the Zaino testing continues...

Silver_04
11-13-2003, 05:42 PM
I've only seen one reference to the following site here, so I'll post a link. Excellent info on pampering the exteriors of our autos.

http://www.autopia.ws/index.php

jgc61sr2002
11-13-2003, 05:50 PM
Silver_'04 - Nice link very informative. Thanks:up:

MERCMAN
11-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Another helpful link

http://www.mothers.com/detailguide/

uwsacf
11-27-2003, 08:25 PM
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/6/web/210000-210999/210465_151_full.jpg

First coat of Zaino!!! (and she looked like ca ca when I picked her up)

Zaino builds up in coats - for a deeper brighter and longer laster shine...

all other waxes are only ONE coat thick, because the new coat removes the previous coat upon application...

and yes, I do the granite countertop, the fridge, all the lacquered wood and the marble floor too!