PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

69428SCJ
02-01-2010, 11:39 PM
So like I've mentioned a couple of times, once I get the whipple for my Cobra, the stage 3 steige ported eaton will be going on the MM. But, am I really saving any money by reusing the blower? I looked at Dave's build thread, looked at the Trilogy and the Reinhart kits and know I'm in store for a fun build but would it be more cost-effective to to just buy a whole kit? These things that I ponder...

-Matt-
02-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Not really, the only hard part are the accessory brackets (correct me if im wrong dave) and the crossover tube needs to be modded. But other then that it should be ok

tjl006
02-02-2010, 07:22 AM
You will save a couple of grand. Get the crossover tube proffesionaly welded, this avoids having to take it off and have it rewelded by a friend everytime it leaks.

69428SCJ
02-03-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm not quite sure how the crossover tube would fit considering the Trilogy kit goes into the rear and my Cobra's is one happy piece. Am I missing something here because I couldn't find anything on Trilogy's website about that part?

-Matt-
02-03-2010, 10:26 PM
There are some eaton install threads on here. Use the search to find it

69428SCJ
02-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Already done it. The issue I'm bringing up is I don't want the intake to be on the passenger side. I'd like to get fresh air into the engine, not hotter air inside the engine compartment. It isn't called a "Heaton" for no reason... ;)

FordNut
02-04-2010, 06:44 AM
You can connect the intake like mine.

-Matt-
02-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Already done it. The issue I'm bringing up is I don't want the intake to be on the passenger side. I'd like to get fresh air into the engine, not hotter air inside the engine compartment. It isn't called a "Heaton" for no reason... ;)

Move your battery to the drivers side and run the intake down the pass side and out the fender

ImpalaSlayer
02-04-2010, 09:41 AM

my air gets more cooler air on the pass side then the drivers side beacuse on the drivers side you have the air suspension compressor in the way. just moving the compressor wont help this either because you have a plastic shielding where the compressor sits that is part of the inner fender splash guard. you could cut it out and run a crappy looking tube to that side but i dont like how that looked. moving the battery was very easy.

69428SCJ
02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the input. Having read that makes me feel better now about the set up.

dohc324ci
02-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey Loren JUST DO IT MAN! So I too will know what it feels like to be boosted!

FordNut
02-04-2010, 02:27 PM
my air gets more cooler air on the pass side then the drivers side beacuse on the drivers side you have the air suspension compressor in the way. just moving the compressor wont help this either because you have a plastic shielding where the compressor sits that is part of the inner fender splash guard. you could cut it out and run a crappy looking tube to that side but i dont like how that looked. moving the battery was very easy.

If you don't have any shielding to block engine compartment air from getting to the filter, you're ingesting more hot air than cool air.

69428SCJ
02-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Of course that just had to be said. I'm assuming if you put the shielding up on the passenger side that would restrict airflow then?

FordNut
02-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Of course that just had to be said. I'm assuming if you put the shielding up on the passenger side that would restrict airflow then?

Not been invented yet...

FordNut
02-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Your comment about the Heaton are quite valid, and ingesting underhood air makes the problem worse. What most people don't realize is that the datalogs on the dyno are not representative of "real world" conditions. The hood is open, the engine is usually cool, there are numerous paths for air to get to the air filter without going through the radiator. Even in the best of conditions, with an air filter routed totally outside the engine compartment, the IAT2 temps of a Eaton can easily approach 140-160 degrees.

69428SCJ
02-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I was anticipating that^. So the question in my mind now is, will the higher air temps make a noticeable power loss compared to the stock filter position?

-Matt-
02-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Not been invented yet...

You couldnt flip a K&N Shield?

Madferraristi
02-07-2010, 11:09 AM
I have a buddy that is going to drop a Cobra setup onto his Marauder and he has asked me what he will need for a fuel supply.

Since the Marauder is a returnless system, how much pump can he run with the stock controller? Will it support an OE Cobra pump or is there a better choice? Walbro???

-Matt-
02-07-2010, 11:35 AM
I have a buddy that is going to drop a Cobra setup onto his Marauder and he has asked me what he will need for a fuel supply.

Since the Marauder is a returnless system, how much pump can he run with the stock controller? Will it support an OE Cobra pump or is there a better choice? Walbro???

Most just put in like a gt-40 pump and the cobra injectors, if you feel like you need a little more throw in a Kenne bell boost-a-pump in.

ImpalaSlayer
02-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Not been invented yet...

i just haent gotten around to doing it. will be a piece of cake though.

bawazir
02-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Not really, the only hard part are the accessory brackets (correct me if im wrong dave) and the crossover tube needs to be modded. But other then that it should be ok

MM-Matt do you have eaton conversion on your ride??

-Matt-
02-07-2010, 12:49 PM
MM-Matt do you have eaton conversion on your ride??

nope.......

bawazir
02-07-2010, 12:55 PM
You can connect the intake like mine.

Would this be a hood cleaners issue , and the only way to get right if you get the cowl hood like yours??

-Matt-
02-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Would this be a hood cleaners issue , and the only way to get right if you get the cowl hood like yours??

I think he got the cowl because the height of the whipple. I dont think the intake crossing over has much to do with it.

FordNut
02-07-2010, 05:13 PM
I think he got the cowl because the height of the whipple. I dont think the intake crossing over has much to do with it.

Correct...