PDA

View Full Version : Another exhaust thread

musclemerc
02-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Well for months now I've been picking exaust parts for my MM and I'm finally done. I did my research and asked all the questions even started the shorty or long tube header debate (thanks Glenn and Fastblackmerc) and here's how it ends. Like alot of guys I wanted to improve the stock exhaust set up, especially after inspecting the stock headers, down pipe, and H pipe. This is the area of concern the tubing starts 2.5" and in some areas goes down to less than 2". My budget will not allow me to purchase Kooks or SW headers they are just too pricy but that did'nt stop me from wanting to modify the exhaust. So I got a deal on a set of new JBA shorty headers for a 2003 Cobra and picked up a used 2.5" Mac Prochamber and some Magnaflow High flow cats. Following Glenn's advice I decided to leave everything else stock from the mufflers back. At first after reading all the exhaust threads the install seemed to be too much work but I did my own install and it did take some time but in the end very much worth the effort. This is not an install you want to do if you just started changing your own oil but if you are mechanically inclined it is well within your reach.The JBA's are larger than the FRPP headers and will require a little more room especially for the drivers side. In the end I ended up with exactly what I wanted. My car sounds amazing, the tone is much deeper but still quiet (if that makes any sense) and when I floor it lets just say the JLT intake is'nt the only thing that's heard anymore :D and best of all my cabin has no drone at any rpm. In my opinion this is a mod worth doing. Just looking under the car at the 2.5" tubing instead of the rinky stock set up makes it worth it. Now I know there's still a debate on HP gains for the amount of work involved but I know my new set up has to flow better than the stock set up dyno tune or not. In the end if your mod budget is small like mine this is a good option and here's why The JBA's brand new cost me $175.00, the prochamber was used @ $150.00, the new cats were $92.00 and going to the local muffler shop to have everthing welded and making new tubes to go from the Prochamber to the stock mufflers was $100.00 (I did not use the stock pipe to the mufflers the new tube is 2 1/4") and modifing the EGR tube was $3.00 using junk yard parts. My total is $520.00 which is hard to argue with for a good exhaust set up. I know there are others that are in my previous position and I hope this post encourages you to start somewhere and if one other goes this route and plans to do the work themselves shoot me a PM and I will help you through the install and I will even make the EGR adaptor for you free of charge you just pay to have it shipped. I will post undercarriage pics later.

CBT
02-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Looks awesome :beer:

fastblackmerc
02-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Nice shiney headers!

Glenn
02-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Nice looking install and writeup. You are now on a short list of a few people vs. the entire MM community. But, I never liked to fly in the flock. I tend to do my own thing and the track results are proof of this exhaust option's performance. Cost vs. Performance has always been my rule to follow in modding cars. Good luck with your MM.

Glenn Ford :burnout:

musclemerc
02-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Thank You, to the two of you again for the help! Centri supercharger for the cheap is next!

CBT
02-09-2010, 08:59 AM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18 659&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1265726327 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18 659&d=1265726327)

I think you may have just shown me a great use for that sticker!

ImpalaSlayer
02-09-2010, 02:52 PM
dare i say this

that almost makes me wana swap to shorties. so much more room! how was installing the starter? and holy clearence on the steering shaft batman!

Mr. Man
02-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Looks great, hope to see it in person someday:up:

musclemerc
02-09-2010, 03:20 PM
dare i say this

that almost makes me wana swap to shorties. so much more room! how was installing the starter? and holy clearence on the steering shaft batman!
Well the starter is'nt in any way a problem to get to and the steering shaft took a little work to clear. Started with the 1/4" shim under the drivers side motor mount then had to grind a little off the steering shaft. The FRPP shorty's are smaller than the JBA's so they take less work to make them fit.

fastblackmerc
02-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Well the starter is'nt in any way a problem to get to and the steering shaft took a little work to clear. Started with the 1/4" shim under the drivers side motor mount then had to grind a little off the steering shaft. The FRPP shorty's are smaller than the JBA's so they take less work to make them fit.

On my install we used a 1/4 spacer under each side.

musclemerc
02-09-2010, 03:41 PM
On my install we used a 1/4 spacer under each side.
The passenger side with the JBA's was a breeze no spacer needed, DS only on mine. Fastblackmerc I can't tell you how many times i looked at the pics you sent me, after I got started I quickly reallized why you changed your dipstick tube to the flexible SS braid. It took a lot to make the factory dip stick work with the JBA's.

fastblackmerc
02-09-2010, 03:45 PM
The passenger side with the JBA's was a breeze no spacer needed, DS only on mine. Fastblackmerc I can't tell you how many times i looked at the pics you sent me, after I got started I quickly reallized why you changed your dipstick tube to the flexible SS braid. It took a lot to make the factory dip stick work with the JBA's.

The handle on the dipstick broke so I figured it was a good time to replace it.

I did the space on both sides so the engine would still sit even.

ImpalaSlayer
02-09-2010, 03:56 PM

wow. i have to disassemble the starter to get it in. i hate you :D

justbob
02-09-2010, 04:01 PM
That looks REALLY nice bro, I think I just found my new direction.

ImpalaSlayer
02-09-2010, 04:03 PM

i would just for ease of install. if i were to do it again id definitely do the shorties.

Glenn
02-09-2010, 04:26 PM
:eek:

Glenn

ImpalaSlayer
02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
:eek:

Glenn

Glenn, we arnt debating hp just install ease which i never disagreed with you. so dont worry you wont have to defend the almighty shorties :lol:

musclemerc
02-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks Bob, should I pack a EGR adaptor in your package for delivery?

justbob
02-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Sure thing! Thanks. Oh and Glenn, mine is because of budgeting.:o

Glenn
02-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Sure thing! Thanks. Oh and Glenn, mine is because of budgeting.:o

So was mine.