PDA

View Full Version : Line Locks, anyone tried this mod yet?

TooManyFords
11-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Mr. Peabody, "Sherman, set the way-back machine for 1977..."

Sherman, "Why are we only going back 27 years Mr. Peabody?"

Mr. Peabody, "Because TooManyFords is having an acid flashback, my dear boy. He wants to share some information on his 68 big-block mustang that had line locks in it with the switch on the Hurst T-Handle or some such nonsense..."

Mr. Peabody, Sherman and TMF step into the way-back machine and are transported to a small garage in the middle of Cedar Falls Iowa. There, sitting in all its glory is a copper colors 1968 Mustang coupe with a 428, 4-speed and looks like it needs a little TLC.

"Wow! Just like I remember it!", says TMF while looking through the drivers window. "Yep, a little red momentary contact switch on the Hurst t-handle and a couple SPST switched drilled into the dash on the left of the steering column. Man, I would arm those brake solenoids and just roast those back tires!"

"He's lost it", Sherman says to Mr. Peabody. "Yes, we'd better get him back to 2003 before he dehydrates from drooling", said Mr. Peabody.

They quickly herd TMF back into the way-back machine and send him packing.

Where am I?!? Sorry, thought that was my -inside- flashback..

Anyway, I was thinking... That nice little OD switch on the shifter handle could easily be rewired to run a pair of line-locks on the front. My questions are:

1. Will this harm the Antilock Brake controller?
2. Anyone tried anything like this yet?

Thanks!

john

merc406
11-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Have no idea John, but I'd run the button maybe right next to the OD switch.
Oh FE's still Rock!

TooManyFords
11-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Merc -> I have this mint 427 low-riser aluminum 2x4 intake I've decided to sell. Interested?

Stormin Norman
11-10-2003, 02:42 PM
John, Is the intake bare or does it come with carbs, filter and linkage? Also I am looking for a 428 manual flywheel, if you have any thoughts, pm me.
Norm

Racerx88
11-10-2003, 03:43 PM
That's got to be a record for a thread with the least number of posts before getting off topic.

merc406
11-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by TooManyFords
Merc -> I have this mint 427 low-riser aluminum 2x4 intake I've decided to sell. Interested?

Thanks John but no, I'm happy with the 3X2, I know I won't go any quicker than 12.3 in the 1/4 but they sound better opening than the 2X4 setup's do.

TooManyFords
11-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Line Locks...

Saving the rear brake pads or wasting the rear tires? Anyone thought of trying this yet?

Any takers?

Ok, I'll keep researching this and let everyone know what I find to do the job.

merc406
11-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Wait, are you asking if it will hook up to the ABS system?

Do you frequent the FE forum? It may sell their, but I just saw an intake sell like yours on e-bay for 800.00

TooManyFords
11-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Sorry if the story wasn't clear... I am wondering what it will take to put line locks on the MM. I plan on using the OD button to control them too.

Cheers!

John "foggy" TMF

LincMercLover
11-10-2003, 10:45 PM
It's possible. I'm sure someone makes a kit for it all, just gotta look around. I've got a buddy with a Z28 Camaro with line-lock. I dunno if it has some sort of ABS interrupt, so the light doesn't come on or what, but I'd actually think as long as you didn't tap on the brakes while roasting them, it wouldn't do anything. Just make sure if you have a TC car, to turn the TC off.

As for using th OD button, well... I'd pick something else... Just MHO...

Petrograde
11-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Hey TMF,..
I was thinking about a line lock the other day. hmmm, let us know what you find out!

BTW,.. are you sure you want to use the OD button? that might get confusing! lol

Tom

Bigdogjim
11-10-2003, 11:33 PM
TTF: You only went back to '77?
I had this "button" on my '70 X-100.
And a "few" other early Merc's and Ford's
Have heard of this being used today?
Let me know........

stumpy
11-11-2003, 05:38 PM
Line locks are installed below the ABS system, therefore the ABS system doesn't know anything about it. Simply press the brakes, toggle the line lock, release the pedal and the front pads are locked.

I'm installing a 'Hurst roll control' line lock this week into the vette. Not a must do for automatics tho unless you have slicks, race a whole lot or plan to use it for launching.

This is one of the better write ups I've seen on installing a line lock Where to place the line lock? (http://www.impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f =23;t=000683#000000)