PDA

View Full Version : Insights Tac Shotgun Course

Taemian
03-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi guys,

I'll be coming down to Bellevue WA to the West Coast Armory facilities to take a tactical shotgun course on the weekend of Mar 19/20/21. Anyone living in that area and can suggest a decent hotel around Renton or something?

Anyone here been to the WCA? :confused:

Been a long time since we had that 8 MM mini meet. Gotta do something again this year!

SeattleMAG
03-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Actually, I was thinking about taking the handgun safety course there on April 10th. Just got my concealed pistol license and time to get educated :). Been to WCA a few times, it's real cool place! Knowledgeable and helpful staff too.

Any special reason you wanna stay in Renton? We could probably find you a nicer place near Bellevue/Factoria.

It'd be cool to meet up while you're here; you gonna bring the big Merc? I've always wanted to experience the SC power first hand.... gonna be a while before I can afford one :(.

I'll do some digging tomorrow on a good place for you to stay.

SeattleMAG
03-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Here's what I found on google maps that's really close to the WCA location:

hotel locations (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hotels&sll=47.576062,-122.173805&sspn=0.068672,0.178356&ie=UTF8&hq=hotels&hnear=&ll=47.589841,-122.1702&spn=0.068654,0.178356&z=13)

Haven't stayed in one myself, so can't give you a better recommendation.

Hope it helps!

Drewstang
03-16-2010, 09:24 PM
I wish we had some training facilities like that around here. We do have Zussman at Ft Knox, but its closed to the public.

Taemian
03-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Actually, I was thinking about taking the handgun safety course there on April 10th. Just got my concealed pistol license and time to get educated :). Been to WCA a few times, it's real cool place! Knowledgeable and helpful staff too.

Any special reason you wanna stay in Renton? We could probably find you a nicer place near Bellevue/Factoria.

It'd be cool to meet up while you're here; you gonna bring the big Merc? I've always wanted to experience the SC power first hand.... gonna be a while before I can afford one :(.

I'll do some digging tomorrow on a good place for you to stay.

Hey, sorry for not answering. This board doesn't auto subscribe you to a thread when you start it. Admin, hello?:confused:

I was thinking of staying in Renton since it's probably cheaper than Bellvue. A 3 star is more than enough for me, heck I'd be fine with a two star. All I need is some sleep, and I have gun anyways.:P

I don't think the MM is coming, it's in the body shop. It MIGHT be done this week, but probably Monday or Tuesday. I got lightly tagged from behind so the bumper cover is getting repainted, no biggie.

Talk to Teamrope, BruteForce or one of the other guys with s/c MMs in your area, they are a great bunch. We'll try to set up a meet this summer, it's been 2 years since our last Seattle area meet?!?!?
Or you could always come up here for Friday Night Street Legals at Mission Raceway. You'll see 3 MMs there regularly this season.:D

Taemian
03-19-2010, 08:04 AM
I wish we had some training facilities like that around here. We do have Zussman at Ft Knox, but its closed to the public.

Check this link out.:)

http://wheretoshoot.org/

Haggis
03-19-2010, 08:22 AM

What about Knob's Creek?

Taemian
03-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Update: I'll be bringing the MM, got it back from the shop this morning.

I'll be in the Bellvue/Seattle area, but still need to get a good night's sleep for the second day of the course, so no partying. Maybe you (SeattleMag) can meet me at the Armory after my course day if you're in the area on Saturday night, and I'll take you for a spin.

Anyone other Marauders interested in a Saturday night mini MM cruise/meet around the Seattle area?:D

Drewstang
03-19-2010, 11:58 AM
What about Knob's Creek?
Its okay, but not great. Their shotgun/pistol range is a path in the woods. And if it rains there, forget about shooting unless you have knee high boots on.

Taemian
03-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Just got back, what a weekend.

Two days, and almost 500 shells used up, one handed drills (with my 870 pump and 00 buck!!), cover/concealment stuff (learned about my offset:o)

Problems? A failed load ramp and a flashhider sent downrange. Everything else that wasn't Locktite'd fell off or came loose, and I dropped too many loads to count. Note to self --- clean off hands AFTER spraying the gun lube everywhere.

Unfortunately, they discourage taking photos since many LEOs and other such types don't want their photos taken. Had a couple of guys TELL me to put the camera away. Yes sirs!:eek:

Found lots of edges to radius, as witnessed by my cut up hands, and learned that my gun REALLY likes Federal Magnum slugs. Nothing like making a head shot from 50 yards with a 75mm projectile!:D

Staff was good, facilities were clean and pro shop was well stocked. Next time I'm off to the Firearms Academy of Seattle. Ayoob's the man!

Taemian
03-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Can't believe I forgot to mention this....

Stopped by the range on Friday night to overview it all, and when I pull into the parking lot, there's a black Marauder right there! Was about to card it, when the owner comes out and says to me "Nice car, same rims as mine." In the sodium light, my silver MM looked kinda orange, so she thought it was a CV clone car.

Talked for a bit, turns out she is a RO at the West Coast Armoury and a lurker here! Showed her the Trilogy, talked mods for a bit, and I told her to post up here sometime. She has a personalized plate, but she can share that with you if she wants.

It was a pleasant surprise indeed. Hopefully she'll post and say hello!:beer:

SeattleMAG
03-23-2010, 05:10 PM
wow; exciting training, got to drive the marauder, and met a fellow owner... sounds like a great trip on all accounts! Sorry I missed you; alerts weren't working for me either so I didn't get your post until after the weekend :(. Maybe the alerts were broken all last week?? Anyway, bummed I didn't get to check it out but looking forward to my handgun safety course now. Sounds top notch!

I'll definitely be interested in a scheduled meet-up again this summer. Let's plan it! Taemian, you're up in Canada?

Taemian
03-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Nope, you have to subscribe yourself to a thread under "thread tools" at the first post, but usually the person who starts it is auto-subscribed. This board doesn't add you to it unless you do it manually. Weird.

Yup, I'm in Canada, about 20 mins north of the border. Last time we (4 of us) came to you guys. I think you guys should head up to us on a Friday afternoon to come drag racing on any Friday night at Mission Raceway. Street Legal series, you just show up, pay $30 and start racing!
Would be great to have a slew of MMs there. We usually have 2 or 3, but a bunch of us racing against each other would be sweet to video/photo.

Haven't seen much of the Seattle guys on the site, but I've been gone awhile. I'd like to challenge Teamrope and BruteForce to a race! I can organize the guys up here, you'll have to get guys on your side of the border to get here.:beer:

The Insights course was good, but I'm not sure which instructor you'll have. There are actually quite a few to teach all the different courses.

Taemian
04-01-2010, 09:51 AM
http://missionraceway.com/schedule.php

Here's 2010's dates....with burnout contests for everyone!!!!!

SeattleMAG
04-06-2010, 08:48 PM
woa, cool! I probably won't be able to get up there until late May / early June.