PDA

View Full Version : SS inserts installation

scherermaddness
11-12-2003, 03:24 AM
I just ordered a set of SS inserts! can anyone reccomend any suggestions for installation that perhaps standard instructions do not cover? anything I need to watch out for? did you all do anything wrong the first time... I don't want to mess up my shiny new inserts!

prchrman
11-12-2003, 04:31 AM
nothing hard...the primer will run down on your bumper...just wipe off bumper with towel...they even center up well...they stick well and no surprises for my install...good luck

Ted Friedrich
12-05-2003, 11:23 AM
I installed my SS Inserts on my MM in about high 60 degree weather after cleaning the bumper real good with a cleanser and then dosing the area with alcohol. The I let that dry and they went on fine. My wife's impression "That's Cool!" I had no problems and they are still there. No one has tried to mess with them yet.

Ross
12-05-2003, 11:45 AM
What if we already have Bob White inserts and wanted to go with SS? Would we first have to remove the Bob White's? If so, how? Those things stick really well. Plus they give me 5 extra HP!:lol:

dok
12-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Welcome Ted. I've seen your posts on the other MM site. You'll find this site to be much more informative.

I belive that I read they should be applied in approximately 70 degree weather to affix properly.

67435animal
12-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Ted, I installed mine last weekend in 60 degree weather. No problem and they seem to stick really well. If you're colder than this, you might warm the area with a hair dryer...not too close to the bumper. Make sure the area is clean.

Bob

Nathan
12-05-2003, 12:54 PM
The only problem that I had was that the primer packet (w/ towlette) ruptured during shipping. I substituted it with q-tips and some isopropyl alchohol. No problems with adhesion to date.

67435animal
12-05-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Nathan
The only problem that I had was that the primer packet (w/ towlette) ruptured during shipping. I substituted it with q-tips and some isopropyl alchohol. No problems with adhesion to date.

I had the same problem. I just made sure that the area was extra clean and I can tell you that the inserts are stuck on solid.

BOb

jgc61sr2002
12-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Ted - Welcome aboard. You definitely came to the right site for the Marauder. This site is very addicting. Enjoy your new ride.:D

jbr927
02-14-2004, 01:25 PM
I ordered my inserts in Jan. and they've been sitting ever since. Between the very cold temps and the fact that the MM is a salt lick most of the time! I'm waiting 'till I can get her washed up and stay that way for more than the 2 minutes I'm @ the car wash :cry:

Anyway, I worked as a buyer/planner for a screenprinting company awhile back and we always told customers that were ordering adh. back items to clean well and bring surface temp up to 70. We would provide a temporary adh. backed thermometer so they would be able to see the surface temp - you can use the "vicks" kids therm. for that just as well, but I would use a little masking tape, not the adhes. on the back. It's very gooey!!

So hopefully I can put mine in here soon. It's beautiful today, maybe I can get them put on a little sooner. :P

Jacki

kurly
02-14-2004, 06:12 PM
I ordered my inserts in Jan. and they've been sitting ever since. Between the very cold temps and the fact that the MM is a salt lick most of the time! I'm waiting 'till I can get her washed up and stay that way for more than the 2 minutes I'm @ the car wash :cry:

Anyway, I worked as a buyer/planner for a screenprinting company awhile back and we always told customers that were ordering adh. back items to clean well and bring surface temp up to 70. We would provide a temporary adh. backed thermometer so they would be able to see the surface temp - you can use the "vicks" kids therm. for that just as well, but I would use a little masking tape, not the adhes. on the back. It's very gooey!!

So hopefully I can put mine in here soon. It's beautiful today, maybe I can get them put on a little sooner. :P

Jacki

you will definitely be pleased!

Murader03
02-15-2004, 06:31 AM
What if we already have Bob White inserts and wanted to go with SS? Would we first have to remove the Bob White's? If so, how? Those things stick really well. Plus they give me 5 extra HP!:lol:
Hopefully we'll get an answer to this as I was thinking the same thing.

Do we need to remove the Bob White's first? If so, what's the best method?:)

Smokie
02-15-2004, 06:48 AM
Hopefully we'll get an answer to this as I was thinking the same thing.

Do we need to remove the Bob White's first? If so, what's the best method?:)
I had my Bob White decals removed at dealer to paint bumper and they tried just pulling off, does not work. You need an adhesive remover to soften up for about 30 minutes (like goo-off). I believe it would be best to install on paint instead of existing decals.

In regards to the primer and towelette that other members mentioned in regards to SS inserts, I bought them and there is no primer or towelette, the instructions say remove backing from 3M adhesive and stick on. I am confused there.:confused:

martyo
02-15-2004, 07:28 AM
In regards to the primer and towelette that other members mentioned in regards to SS inserts, I bought them and there is no primer or towelette, the instructions say remove backing from 3M adhesive and stick on. I am confused there.:confused:
Javier: I think I was one of the first one's to get these (about a year ago) and mine didn't come with the primer/towlette either. I cleaned the bumper well, apllied the letters (okay so my g/f did because she has steadier hands) and let set for 24 hours. They have held on through many a washing and many a 1/4 mile passes. No worries. :pimp:

Smokie
02-15-2004, 08:13 AM
Javier: I think I was one of the first one's to get these (about a year ago) and mine didn't come with the primer/towlette either. I cleaned the bumper well, apllied the letters (okay so my g/f did because she has steadier hands) and let set for 24 hours. They have held on through many a washing and many a 1/4 mile passes. No worries. :pimp:
Thanks Marty, waiting to get my baby back and put them on.:up:

Smokie
02-22-2004, 09:14 AM
I finally got my car back and the weather is a clear 75*, so this morning I installed my SS inserts that had been sitting in a drawer for a couple of weeks.

Obviously I can't comment yet on long term adhesion and durability but I can say they are absolutely beautiful !!! They reflect like a mirror, they are cut perfectly and are very easy to install. They look just like my car: expensive.

I recommend them, Javier.

kurly
02-28-2004, 09:01 PM
I recommend them, Javier.

DITTO! They look great!

SouLRioT
02-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Well, I've had mine for almost a year now too and they're still there (the guys that were at the tower shops can confirm it!) The easiest way to install it is start at the bottom of the letter and then aply presure up. Waxing is a fun chore, you'll need tooth picks and q-tips to finnish it after. But they look really good and I like then.

Cobra25
03-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Well, I've had mine for almost a year now too and they're still there (the guys that were at the tower shops can confirm it!) The easiest way to install it is start at the bottom of the letter and then aply presure up. Waxing is a fun chore, you'll need tooth picks and q-tips to finnish it after. But they look really good and I like then. SoulRiot does have them, I saw them at The Tower Shop's and it looked nice. He had them a year and they still look like new. I just got mine today in the mail,Tommarrow off comes the Bob Whites on goes the SS inserts.

crom
03-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Pretty much a no-brainer. Clean the car, wipe the area with alcohol and stick them on. I've had mine for 8 months now, no problems. As far as waxing either take time when you apply it or you'll have to to do what soulriot said. If you like stealth these are not for you. If you like a little bling-bling to compliment the wheels and the exhaust tips, great compliment. Overall I would rate this product a 10!

PhkinQk
03-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Anyone know who has the reflective red one's for sale??? :)

MARAUDER S/C
03-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Anyone know who has the reflective red one's for sale??? :)

Try www.bobwhitedecals.com :P

PhkinQk
03-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Emailed him, thanks.

Cobra25
03-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Bob White sell's Reflective Red one's, TMAC1337 has them on his car and they look real nice on a Black Marauder.

PhkinQk
03-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Bob White sell's Reflective Red one's, look real nice on a Black Marauder.

Ordered the Ruby Red Reflective today from him, thanks again guys......:)

gonzo50
03-25-2004, 05:32 PM
Pretty much a no-brainer. Clean the car, wipe the area with alcohol and stick them on. If you like stealth these are not for you. If you like a little bling-bling to compliment the wheels and the exhaust tips, great compliment.
Had mine for awhile now and just got around to putting them on, the weather has been pretty nice and warm, (70 degress). :bounce:
I suggest you trial fit them on first before taking the backing off, they do have some room to manuever them around on the bumper.
Take some masking tape and fold it so that both sides have the sticky side out, use this to hold the letters to help stick them on better and to center them on the bumper. :D
They look "AWESOME". :up: :rock:

Bluerauder
03-25-2004, 07:31 PM
Had mine for awhile now and just got around to putting them on, the weather has been pretty nice and warm, (70 degress). :bounce:
I suggest you trial fit them on first before taking the backing off, they do have some room to manuever them around on the bumper.
Take some masking tape and fold it so that both sides have the sticky side out, use this to hold the letters to help stick them on better and to center them on the bumper. :D
They look "AWESOME". :up: :rock:
I agree. The SS Inserts are a really nice complement to the Marauder. Installed mine last weekend and it is a pretty easy and quick installation. They look so good, I wonder why Mercury didn't think of it themselves ... Oh well ... as of June we're driving a classic.

PhkinQk
03-25-2004, 07:48 PM
I got mine from Bob White, his directions said to spray the area with soapy water then apply, damn wife read the directions, lol. Says so you can move them around till you get it where you want them, did you guys do it dry? I'll prob get to them this weekend when I put my spoiler on..... :rasta:

TAF
03-25-2004, 08:29 PM
I got mine from Bob White, his directions said to spray the area with soapy water then apply, damn wife read the directions, lol. Says so you can move them around till you get it where you want them, did you guys do it dry? I'll prob get to them this weekend when I put my spoiler on..... :rasta:
Don't use "soapy water". Clean the area real well, with soapy water if you want. Dry it real thoroughly...then wipe the area with isopropyl/rubbing alcohol...then spray the back sides of each letter, as you take them off the sheet, with a little window cleaner which will allow you to place and move around the letter before it sets.

martyo
03-25-2004, 09:07 PM
Don't use "soapy water". Clean the area real well, with soapy water if you want. Dry it real thoroughly...then wipe the area with isopropyl/rubbing alcohol...then spray the back sides of each letter, as you take them off the sheet, with a little window cleaner which will allow you to place and move around the letter before it sets.
This is the process for the vinyl letters, but NOT the stainless letters! The stainless letters go on dry!!!

Todd, just stick to what you know best and keep your nose out of these technical discussions.

PhkinQk
03-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Trust me Martyo there's little me and Todd seem to agree on, lol, but I do have red reflective vinyl letters....

Todd window cleaner?

From Bob White directly:

1 Tablespoon of dish liquid (joy) in one quart (spray bottle) Peel off each letter one at a time. .................spray the back of the decal use your thumb to expel excess water.

martyo
03-26-2004, 04:36 AM
Trust me Martyo there's little me and Todd seem to agree on....
I hear ya brother! A number of us have been asking Logan to kick Todd off of the site for a while. We should start a poll. Maybe if public opinion were tallied, Logan would take action against this troll/wannabe!

darebren
03-26-2004, 05:24 AM
here's what's funny. The average age in this post of 40 something.. you don't see any of the techno 20 something kids here wondering how to stick a sticker on a car..just like they have to explain the DVD and surround sound remote control to thier parents...

These are stickers!!!! stick em'

TAF
03-26-2004, 06:16 AM
This is the process for the vinyl letters, but NOT the stainless letters! The stainless letters go on dry!!!

Todd, just stick to what you know best and keep your nose out of these technical discussions.
Uh...that's why I quoted him in my post saying he had the Bob Whites

Some "blasts from the past"...
From back in 2002

Forget the exacto knife. Just wipe down the bumper area with a clean, cotten cloth with alcohol on it. Let dry. Do that again with another "clean" side of the cloth. Let dry. (this is all of 45 seconds) Peel off the "M" in your fingers. Spray the back (adhesive side) with Windex and place with your fingers in the indention for the "M". You have about 3-5 minutes movement of the letter if you need to, but its fits perfectly in there. Once it's set, move on to the next letter and repeat. I mean it, it only took me 3 minutes to do the whole thing. Mine was in the garage though (even though it's been in the 20's in ATL). The sheet recommended heating with a blow/hair dryer if below 60 degrees. I think you should be able to pull it off outside. Call Mr. Bob White if you have any other questions @ Phone: 1-561-483-3526 if you have any other questions.

My Ford Blue reflective inserts didn't have anything on the face of the letters...I followed toddalanfisher's installation instructions (see other thread) and it worked great. The 3M reflective tape seems to only reflect back in the same direction the light is coming from, unlike a mirror, so you have to be at the right angle to see it. My wife was coming home the other night and caught the reflection from 3 houses away and thought it looked great...

Same here. I installed the ruby reds Saturday and got a little confused by the instructions. They seemed to indicate transfer tape was gonna be on the front of the letters, but it wasn't.

I was skeptical at first about the Windex on the adhesive side, but it worked great.

I am very well pleased with the result!

Follow the directions for surface prep and it's pretty simple.

I sprayed the windex on the backs of the letters ... then you can slid them around to whatever position you want. I did all the letters in about 5 minutes and they were completely dry within a half-hour. (Sunny and warm day.)

You'll love 'em.
Mad1

Just as toddalan said, the bumper inserts install very easily...I put mine on yesterday and they look great, both day and night...pics to follow, as soon as I figure out how...
Maybe NEXT time instead of giving you an answer and trying to help...I'll just tell you to go to the Search Box.

martyo
03-26-2004, 06:19 AM
Maybe NEXT time instead of giving you an answer and trying to help...I'll just tell you to go to the Search Box.
Yep, you must be pretty proud of yourself there Mr. Fishlips.

TAF
03-26-2004, 06:22 AM
Watch it Marty!!!! According to this thread...^^^I'm the "penguin bashing champion"...that could EASILY become "Lawyer Bashing Champion", as well.

PhkinQk
03-26-2004, 06:49 AM
I hear ya brother! A number of us have been asking Logan to kick Todd off of the site for a while. We should start a poll. Maybe if public opinion were tallied, Logan would take action against this troll/wannabe!

Hey Martyo, not sure if you're kidding or not about Todd. I'm not looking to have him or anyone kicked off. At least not cause they don't agree with me, a challenge is always healthy. I don't even hold it against him that he left a negative reputation for me on a disagreement about the tint's effects on my radio and cell phone reception. I will admit, I do find it a tad weird that he always has old ugly men as his avatar in his profile, but to each their own, lol.

here's what's funny. The average age in this post of 40 something.. you don't see any of the techno 20 something kids here wondering how to stick a sticker on a car..just like they have to explain the DVD and surround sound remote control to thier parents...

These are stickers!!!! stick em'

Go figure, I can built a stroked 331 Dart engine for my stang in my spare time and can't figure out how to stick stickers on..........gee thanks darebren you've given me a lot to think about............ :lol: :stupid:

martyo
03-26-2004, 06:53 AM
I will admit, I do find it a tad weird that he always has old ugly men as his avatar in his profile, but to each their own, lol.
It is a bit weird indeed. I have met him and he is, shall we say, a bit of a "free thinker" when it comes to issues like that. This is a family oriented site, so I don't want to go to far down that path if you get my drift....

kurly
03-31-2004, 06:59 PM
SS INSERTS RULE !!! :banana2: