PDA

View Full Version : Clear differential cover

Black_Out
03-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Anyone ever hear of or use the "clear gearz" clear differential cover? Looks cool as hell to me, just wondering if anyone has ever tried one out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ1Y_goOb-g

SVT_MERC
03-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Probably be ok on a daily driver, but I dont think it would be nearly as strong as an aluminum one and would crack or break under stress of some real power.

Black_Out
03-11-2010, 09:08 PM
They tested it by running it over with a forklift multiple times, and shooting it with a .22 pistol - they couldn't break it.

I think I'm gonna buy one when I swap my gears :)

SVT_MERC
03-11-2010, 09:40 PM
I don't remember who makes them, but somebody is making clear acrylic coolant hoses too... I thought those were pretty cool.

fastblackmerc
03-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Why take the chance if it breaks? Since there are no sensors in the diff the only way you know it's broken is when your rear end seizes up and you skid to a stop. :eek::eek:

Plus you'll never see it under the car.

Have you priced them? The prices I saw were more than an aluminum cover.

Mr. Man
03-11-2010, 10:42 PM
What's the purpose unless its a total show car. Oil slopping around in the diff would obscure any interesting visibility.

ctrlraven
03-11-2010, 10:43 PM
I bought a TA Performance Aluminum diff cover for the main reason it has a fill and drain plug right on it. I've had friends tell me they could see only it only from a distance away. Just as the clear coolant tubes, they are really just for show and don't offer anything else.

Joe Walsh
03-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Why take the chance if it breaks? Since there are no sensors in the diff the only way you know it's broken is when your rear end seizes up and you skid to a stop. :eek::eek:

Plus you'll never see it under the car.

What's the purpose unless its a total show car. Oil slopping around in the diff would obscure any interesting visibility.

I bought a TA Performance Aluminum diff cover for the main reason it has a fill and drain plug right on it. I've had friends tell me they could see only it only from a distance away. Just as the clear coolant tubes, they are really just for show and don't offer anything else.

Agreed...cool looking, but it is only good for a show car and the show car would have to have mirrors under it so you could even see the cover.

I'll stick with my reinforced T/A aluminum cover with the bearing cap support studs.

It would match a set of these!
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae326/JoeJWalsh/clear-wheel.jpg

massacre
03-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Interesting idea, just not that practical IMHO.

justbob
03-12-2010, 06:52 AM
These were originally built for the four wheel drive rock crawling community. They are considered bullit proof, litterally.

Black_Out
03-12-2010, 07:09 AM
My gf's buying me one for my birthday :P so I think I'll go with one. The other covers are more practical, but I just think being able to see inside the rear end is awesome.