PDA

View Full Version : Working on Long Tubes for MM's

SpartaPerformance
03-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Went by and saw my boys at American Racing headers today and damn are they backed up!! I was supposed to use Paul's car as a guide to massage their 4 valve mustang headers to direct fit into an MM. Anyway they're backed up for months. Anybody have American Racing headers on their car that can send me pics of what exactly needs to be redone for direct it. If I get them pictures and measurements they can fab up without the car.

BTW:

They're also working on new 302 headers, I was able to snap a picture or two of the factory unit.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m298/buysuperlow/1.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m298/buysuperlow/2.jpg

LANDY
03-25-2010, 03:22 PM
it would be nice to have another choice for LT headers.

justbob
03-25-2010, 03:27 PM
And not cost $1000.00!!!!!!!!!

musclemerc
03-25-2010, 03:39 PM
PM, RR SUKI he's running American Racing headers.

SC Cheesehead
03-25-2010, 03:41 PM
it would be nice to have another choice for LT headers.

+1

For that matter, wouldn't mind a source for shorty's either.

musclemerc
03-25-2010, 03:44 PM
+1

For that matter, wouldn't mind a source for shorty's either.

Where have you been? We have been discussing shorty options for the past few weeks.

SC Cheesehead
03-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Where have you been? We have been discussing shorty options for the past few weeks.

Yeah, but limited options, aren't there? Thought FRP no longer offers them...

musclemerc
03-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Well we found the JBA's should be a first choice and the FRPP's are second and yes you can still find them out there with a little searching. I also know BBK makes a shorty for the 32v but no one has tryed them yet. The BBK stuff is normally a cheapy made product.

SC Cheesehead
03-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Well we found the JBA's should be a first choice and the FRPP's are second and yes you can still find them out there with a little searching. I also know BBK makes a shorty for the 32v but no one has tryed them yet. The BBK stuff is normally a cheapy made product.

Are the JBA's a variant of the OEM Cobra headers or similar in design to the FRPP shorty's? IIRC, the Cobra headers are more of a "manifold" style versus a tubed header design; is that correct?

tjl006
03-25-2010, 06:46 PM
If u need a car to test fit them on let me know. I got a couple of cars to use this week they could hold onto the merc it till next saturday.

musclemerc
03-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Are the JBA's a variant of the OEM Cobra headers or similar in design to the FRPP shorty's? IIRC, the Cobra headers are more of a "manifold" style versus a tubed header design; is that correct?

Here's the last thread for the shorty's there are side by side photos of both that I posted. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61233&highlight=jba Any other questions you need to PM me. Sorry for the highjack on your thread.

Kennyrauder
03-25-2010, 07:23 PM
I know my Kooks gave me a nightmare, but they sure make my Marauder breathe especially being S/C'd . I guess non supercharged applications are different. Good luck with your selections. Kenny

ctrlraven
03-26-2010, 06:11 AM
Hey the more options the better!!

Speed
03-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming with my new set up (MMR Terminator short block) I can go with any of the long tube available, true?

MrBluGruv
03-26-2010, 07:07 AM
And not cost $1000.00!!!!!!!!!

+1

A serious but still affordable header solution for this car would be fantastic. It'd also be nice to be able to buy just the headers and not play hell trying to mate it to the rest of the stock exhaust configuration.

ctrlraven
03-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Would be great to see a shorty headers with connecting down tube pipes (with cats, 2 only!) that would bolt right up to the flange where the mid-pipe (factory H-pipe) connects to.

Zack
03-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Dont even bother unless they are dirt cheap compared to the other companies and made from Stainless.

Tell American racing to get a Marauder in there and mount a set of Cobra/Mach 1 headers up to it (they fit) and make small changes to the jig to better fit the MM.
Id imagine this would save a butt load of money.

SC Cheesehead
03-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Dont even bother unless they are dirt cheap compared to the other companies and made from Stainless.

Tell American racing to get a Marauder in there and mount a set of Cobra/Mach 1 headers up to it (they fit) and make small changes to the jig to better fit the MM.

Great idea. :up:

Blackened300a
03-26-2010, 09:51 AM
That was exactly the plan as explained in post #1.

justbob
03-26-2010, 09:55 AM
I bought a completete exhaust set from elcheapo JCWitney for my 80 Z28. Steel headers, turbo muffles, all pipes, hangers and clamps, for $250.00! I owned the car another two years after install and all was still perfect condition, no warpage, no rust thru of any kind. Flat out perfect. Now I know they made a gazillion and twenty Z28's, and a handfull of Rauders, but gimme a break on these prices, they are complete B.S. Sell me a set of old skool steels and a few rolls of heat wrap for $200.00 I'd be all over it. Sure, they run hot, there noisy, not show material, but they are good enough for me.

ImpalaSlayer
03-26-2010, 09:58 AM
I bought a completete exhaust set from elcheapo JCWitney for my 80 Z28. Steel headers, turbo muffles, all pipes, hangers and clamps, for $250.00! I owned the car another two years after install and all was still perfect condition, no warpage, no rust thru of any kind. Flat out perfect. Now I know they made a gazillion and twenty Z28's, and a handfull of Rauders, but gimme a break on these prices, they are complete B.S. Sell me a set of old skool steels and a few rolls of heat wrap for $200.00 I'd be all over it. Sure, they run hot, there noisy, not show material, but they are good enough for me.

i actually like the look of the wrap.

ddogg626
03-26-2010, 09:58 AM
For the install of the kooks pass side header the most rear top bolt was a pain in the ARSE.

justbob
03-26-2010, 10:00 AM
i actually like the look of the wrap.
Me too, I thought I was the only.

CBT
03-26-2010, 10:01 AM
I miss my '81 Z-28 sometimes. Hooker headers, short length pipes, mufflers, then pipes turned out and flared right in front of my back tires. Juuuuuuuust a little on the loud side, hee hee.

babbage
03-26-2010, 10:09 AM
I'd like some equal length shorties or mid length headers offered as a kit that would bolt right up to factory exhaust. e.g. Headers + downpipe + cats.

SpartaPerformance
03-26-2010, 05:39 PM

Well I'm planning on them making Long tubes with catted H pipe. The trick will be how to mate it mufflers being the A.R. headers are 2.5" and the Marauder exhaust isn't. So what would be "dirt cheap" for bolt in long tubes and catted "H"??

A.R. headers are backed up for weeks so I might have to make measurements and use Pauls car a guinea pig.

ctrlraven
03-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Sell an optional reducer for the 2.5" to 2" stock piping.

musclemerc
03-27-2010, 09:45 AM
I was thinking the same thing. A bolt on reducer that's flanged on both sides. A flange for after the header and one to go where the stock H pipe connects to the rear muffler's

SpartaPerformance
03-27-2010, 05:48 PM
So standard would be flow tubes from the 2.5" mid pipe reduced to 2" and option would be 2.5" on both sides does that sound good? I'm also thinking "X" pipe would be more cost effective being they already have a jig for it.

ImpalaSlayer
03-27-2010, 05:49 PM
So standard would be flow tubes from the 2.5" mid pipe reduced to 2" and option would be 2.5" on both sides does that sound good? I'm also thinking "X" pipe would be more cost effective being they already have a jig for it.

that wouldnt be bolt in at that point. the balance pipe is after the flange on the stock mm exhaust.

musclemerc
03-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah, the stock "H" is after the last flange. The stock hook up should be 2 divorced pipes with cats that end with a flange that way they can have an option to keep the stock back half. Or maybe offer some type of band clamp so they can cut the "H" part out of the system. The "X" should be optional for custom installs

RR|Suki
04-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Pics of the Mach1 headers on the car:
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/VTRauder/headers003.jpg?t=1272170497

burt ragio
04-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Where did you have to massage the headers for clearance ? Did you port match the header flange ?

RR|Suki
04-27-2010, 06:16 AM
Where did you have to massage the headers for clearance ? Did you port match the header flange ?

Flange didn't need to be worked, if anything the exhaust ports could stand to be opened up some to match the gaskets if I remember right.
Really hard to remember really, been a long time now, and it's one of those things I didn't pay much attention to, I'm not at a point where I am milking power out of the car so it's really not something I payed attention to.

As for fit, the 2nd primary had to have a dent put in it to clear that stupid L shaped lower knuckle thing, and at the top the base of that upper knuckle is shaved down. Neither is a big deal really.

RocsMerc
05-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Is there any news on this?

SpartaPerformance
06-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Is there any news on this?

Project is on hold for a little bit. PM me for details.