PDA

View Full Version : lightning supercharger

4play
03-29-2010, 07:29 PM
would a 2002 ford lightning supercharger work on our engines?

musclemerc
03-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Ummmm.... NO.

FordNut
03-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Ummmm.... NO.

What he said..

4play
03-29-2010, 07:36 PM
how about this one http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-AED-INTERCOOLED-SUPERCHARGER-FORD-4-6-Price-reduced-W0QQAdIdZ183053626

musclemerc
03-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Your going from bad to worse, That's not for a DOHC 32v. Grasping at straws are we?

4play
03-29-2010, 07:41 PM
cant I just put some Black tape on it to hold it in place? and atleast I didn't ask if this one fits http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATV-parts-trailers-accessories-Yamaha-Rhino-SuperCharger-Kit-W0QQAdIdZ191377047

BAD MERC
03-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Get a huge hose clamp and some garden hose. MacGuyver would have a wet dream if he stumbled upon this thread!

FordNut
03-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Duct tape and super glue. No problem.

musclemerc
03-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Well now that I think about it you can make that Lightning SC work!
1st- get a set of intake manifold adaptor's
2nd- cut a BFH in your hood for it to go through
3rd-remember to put on your plaid shirt with the Sunday-go-to meetin cover alls
while your cruising

Black_Out
03-29-2010, 07:53 PM
always wanted to drop a SC 5.4 in a panther. Quickcrownvic beat me to it though :)

4play
03-29-2010, 08:04 PM
well, i just asked because a guy out here is selling one with an intercooleror 750... thats pretty cheap

4play
03-29-2010, 09:06 PM
how about this Turbo kit? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Marauder-T3T4-TurboCharger-Turbo-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZite m3caa16bfebQQitemZ260551655403 QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPa rtsQ5fAccessories

Motorhead350
03-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Just save up for the right parts or the Zack Kit.

4play
03-29-2010, 09:38 PM
what does a Zack kit cost? JW

MrBluGruv
03-29-2010, 09:42 PM
haha, damn a $400 turbo kit. Pretty sure you will need if not just want more parts than what that has to offer, but if you know a good exhaust fabricator and believe that the parts in the kit will last, why not give it a go? This particular kit and kits from that seller had already been discussed in a not-particularly-serious way, and the consensus was someone should give it a try and report back. ;)

4play
03-29-2010, 10:04 PM
haha, damn a $400 turbo kit. Pretty sure you will need if not just want more parts than what that has to offer, but if you know a good exhaust fabricator and believe that the parts in the kit will last, why not give it a go? This particular kit and kits from that seller had already been discussed in a not-particularly-serious way, and the consensus was someone should give it a try and report back. ;)

ahhh...... i'll pass thanks lol

Sully008
03-29-2010, 10:17 PM
4play,

You have several options to go with in terms of forced induction. Each will give you more power than you can handle (in no particular order):

Trilogy
Vortech (Reinhart)
Procharger (Forced Induction Technologies)

These three are/were the top choices for your Marauder. Each are pretty much a "turn key" solution to your lack of power.:D The first two are still available from current vendors. Procharger I don't think is available, but I'm not 100% sure.

You also have these options if you like more of a DIY approach:

Eaton/Whipple/Kenne Bell swap ("Zack kit")
Turbo

Questions you need to ask yourself:

How much are you willing to spend?
How much time are you willing to wait?
Do you want a kit that comes with everything needed to do the install or do you like to search for the parts needed?
Do you want a warranty?
Do you have the skills to go DIY?
Can you find a suitable tuner if you go DIY?

There are those out there that want the "turn key" solution. I was one of them. While I am mechanically inclined and like to do things my way, I liked the fact that everything was R&D'd for me. Conversely, there are those out there that enjoy hunting for parts, thinking things out, taking there time and doing things on a low budget. That's cool too! Honestly if the the Eaton swap had become a reality a year or so ago, I might've gone that route.

You need to do your "due diligence" and figure out what you want out of your car. Read up on what each choice's pros/cons are. I spent hours and hours reading past S/C threads (a lot of them heated) before I decided on the Trilogy. The search function is your friend. Also read the archived forums of Trilogy, FIT and Reinhart Automotive.

Bottom line is all choices are good, it won't matter which one you go with as long as it meets YOUR criteria. Anytime a Marauder gets blown, boosted, whatever, it's a good thing!:beer:

Georges93LX
03-29-2010, 10:57 PM
You could swap the motor out for the 2V. You would be the first.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/786821/fullsize/svtvic-018.jpg

RF Overlord
03-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Sully, you just wrote one of the best posts on how to select forced induction for the MM, or really for any car, that I have read in a long time. I think I'll make it a sticky. :up:

4play, the other thing you could consider is nitrous. Less expensive than FI, easy to install, easy to remove if you sell the car. The only major drawback is needing to get the tank filled if you put the hammer down a lot.

Sully008
03-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Sully, you just wrote one of the best posts on how to select forced induction for the MM, or really for any car, that I have read in a long time. I think I'll make it a sticky. :up:

4play, the other thing you could consider is nitrous. Less expensive than FI, easy to install, easy to remove if you sell the car. The only major drawback is needing to get the tank filled if you put the hammer down a lot.

Thank you, sir! I've been around long enough to see the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th gen owners come in and ask the same questions. No offense to 4play.

Back when I was a noob I used the experience of other members to help make the decisions I made when modding my Marauder. There's tons of info in older threads, you just need to go looking for it. I may not participate fully on any of the forums, but I like to help here and there.

cougar9150
03-30-2010, 02:04 PM

I couldn't agree more, excellent post!!!!

Money is the main reason I have chosen the Eaton swap as my choice. While I love the Trilogy kits I know I will never save the full amount of money to buy the complete kit at once. I have already had to deplete that savings account twice for other means and don't want to wait years for boost.

With the eaton I can take my time to buy a part here and there over time. Keeps the wife from complaining that I'm spending a huge lump sums and allows me time to play and clean up various parts such as painting the eaton head unit. Plus I like to tinker with things and will enjoy the DIY aspect it more than I will installing an out of box kit. I also like the ability post swap to use any Cobra SC parts such as the Kenne Bell and Whipple SCs. This way I can continue to feed my crackhead like speed lust.

massacre
03-30-2010, 02:53 PM
It would be funny if that $400 turbo kit actually worked.

4play
03-30-2010, 02:56 PM
I am like SO offended.. infact I think i'm gana swap my Pos ford motor for a real one.. a chev 350. then i'll smoke all your a**es... muhahahaha

Sully008
03-30-2010, 03:02 PM
I am like SO offended.. infact I think i'm gana swap my Pos ford motor for a real one.. a chev 350. then i'll smoke all your a**es... muhahahaha

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/rcbaker87/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

CBT
03-30-2010, 03:05 PM
lol awesome

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/rcbaker87/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

ImpalaSlayer
03-30-2010, 03:06 PM
lol awesome

i agree lol

4play
03-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Lol how u get my pic.... nah I dont want a chevy motor... i'm a chaep ass not sure if I wana drop 6g's in a supercharger on a motor with 270,000 Km's on it. i get enough speeding tickets, i'm thinking a tune and air intake would be my safest bet. i dont want to blow my engine when i'm 1000K away from home lol.

MMBLUE
03-30-2010, 03:22 PM
how about this Turbo kit? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Marauder-T3T4-TurboCharger-Turbo-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZite m3caa16bfebQQitemZ260551655403 QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPa rtsQ5fAccessories

I wonder if Dennis would install this? And how much?

Sully008
03-30-2010, 03:30 PM
I wonder if Dennis would install this? And how much?

The problem with those cheap eBay kits is they use cheap parts. I don't think they wouldn't last very long.

4play, with that amount of kms on your car I would suggest just the tune and filter. But start saving up for an engine rebuild, you're going to need one if you decide to go FI. Maybe go forged stroker...

4play
03-30-2010, 06:44 PM
The problem with those cheap eBay kits is they use cheap parts. I don't think they wouldn't last very long.

4play, with that amount of kms on your car I would suggest just the tune and filter. But start saving up for an engine rebuild, you're going to need one if you decide to go FI. Maybe go forged stroker...

a forged stroker? no need to get dirty on me lol, just so you know thats 270 Kilometers not miles. engine is actually really halthy, got a compression tes done is it is still quite high. but still, i'm sure it could handle a supercharger aslong as I dont rev the piss outta it, but still. we also have to consider the tranny aswell......ahhhhh, i'm just dreaming that's all.....:alone: :depress:

bawazir
03-30-2010, 07:48 PM
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/g0/claps.gif

Sully008
03-30-2010, 10:52 PM
a forged stroker? no need to get dirty on me lol, just so you know thats 270 Kilometers not miles. engine is actually really halthy, got a compression tes done is it is still quite high. but still, i'm sure it could handle a supercharger aslong as I dont rev the piss outta it, but still. we also have to consider the tranny aswell......ahhhhh, i'm just dreaming that's all.....:alone: :depress:

270,000 kms is still 162,000 miles (Fellow Canuck here:beer:). I would be thinking of freshening up the engine if you're thinking FI. At least keep it in the back of your mind. Are you the original owner? If not, do you know how the car was driver previously? Hopefully they didn't run it hard. Anyways, patience is a virtue. I waited 4 years before I pulled the trigger on my Trilogy. If you're the DIY type, you could be collecting parts for the Eaton swap here and there, without breaking the bank. Just be careful, the mod bug is addictive.:burnout:

4play
03-31-2010, 10:49 AM
No, I bought it off some old lady, she had every single oil change recipt and all the maintanence records... she claims nothing has gone wrong with the car since she bought it. Just the climate controls were not working right, (O rings) done. she drove probably 500Kms a day back and forth from Manville to edmonton on a paved Hwy. My mechanic friend told me the car looks and drives like it has less then 50,000K No squeaks or rattles, even the tags on the front springs are still readable.... th only thing quite present on the car was 240K's worthof hwy sand blasting and road rash... so im sure she never drove it hard.

Motorhead350
03-31-2010, 10:49 AM
what does a Zack kit cost? JW

PM him for details.