PDA

View Full Version : Going Old School

musclemerc
03-30-2010, 05:52 AM
For the guy's that have been here for a long time you will remember this alternative for making a set of upper and lower control arms out of two set's of the factory parts. I did this with a little twist by putting them on a press and spot welding them to get the 3mm gap to close up between the two stock pieces and also to get more surface contact for the factory bushin's. Afterwards I drilled the center's out with a large drill bit and did a plug weld just to strengthen them up even more. The bushins are from the doner set and wil be removed and my stock bushins will be used in the final product. The only thing I have left to consider is if I want to be lazy and just paint them or powdercoat them (I own a DIY PC kit). I kinda like the industrial look so clear coating them is also an option. Here's the pic of the first lower.

SC Cheesehead
03-30-2010, 05:59 AM
For the guy's that have been here for a long time you will remember this alternative for making a set of upper and lower control arms out of two set's of the factory parts. I did this with a little twist by putting them on a press and spot welding them to get the 3mm gap to close up between the two stock pieces and also to get more surface contact for the factory bushin's. Afterwards I drilled the center's out with a large drill bit and did a plug weld just to strengthen them up even more. The bushins are from the doner set and wil be removed and my stock bushins will be used in the final product. The only thing I have left to consider is if I want to be lazy and just paint them or powdercoat them (I own a DIY PC kit). I kinda like the industrial look so clear coating them is also an option. Here's the pic of the first lower.

I like! PM sent.

Bradley G
03-30-2010, 06:10 AM
Very Nice! I like the improvements.
The paint has held up reasonably well over the years.
Thanks for the PM !
Best of luck on the rest of them!

musclemerc
03-30-2010, 06:11 AM
Thanks Bradley, for the guy's wanting to know, here's the older post that I saved for all these years: http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28710&highlight=boxed

bob6364
03-30-2010, 06:21 AM
very nice...now i need some donors

justbob
03-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Looks great! Rattle can and tons of clear! You really don't wanna know what all i've painted that way and it all remained perfect.

musclemerc
03-30-2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks Bob, when I get to the uppers there will be alot more to get them right. They don't have the pressed section the lowers have so to get the bushin to cover more surface i'm gonna shave down the center section then drill them out dead center front and back, then press a piece of round 3/4" stock through the hole and weld it into place. This way I get full contact on the factory bushin and strengthen up the center section in the process.

musclemerc
03-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Here's a few pics of the upper control arm I just got done with. I removed 2mm off the flat side of one control arm then welded them up. Then I used a piece of soild 5/8 rod to go through and welded it up on both sides. The stock bushin has plenty of grab space between the two parts and I should be good to go after I swap in my stock bushins.

Joe Walsh
03-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Nice work!

Just curious...would it be worth it to weld a 'bridge' across the open ends by the bushings??
:dunno:
I figure those open ends are subjected to a lot of stress.

musclemerc
03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Nice work!

Just curious...would it be worth it to weld a 'bridge' across the open ends by the bushings??
:dunno:
I figure those open ends are subjected to a lot of stress.

It's a work in progress but I thought the same thing. Put in a piece of flat 1/8" thick by 3/4" piece of stock and roll it then weld it! I gotta get under my MM and check if there would be any clearance issues

musclemerc
03-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Today I boxed in the area around the bushins and gave them a few coats from the rattle cans. So now their fully boxed in and looking good. Pics will follow soon!

ImpalaSlayer
03-31-2010, 06:45 PM
junk!

jk, looks good, looks fun actually

Sully008
03-31-2010, 07:17 PM
Nice job! I'm running a set of the original "BradleyG" boxed arms. Spray bombed them flat black and are still holding up well.

musclemerc
03-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Nice job! I'm running a set of the original "BradleyG" boxed arms. Spray bombed them flat black and are still holding up well.

That's good to hear. I used his template for mine, and the total cost for the project is.... $40.00 shipped for stock upper&lower CA's :beer:

musclemerc
04-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Here's the finished product. Now all I need to do is press in my stock bushins and make 2 more from my stock MM parts :beer:

Black_Out
04-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Nice work sir :D

musclemerc
04-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Well I finally got some time to get my set of stock CA's off the car and finish what I started. There all welded up and on the car, I went to the 1/8mi track up the street from my house and made a couple of passes and the car tracks nice and straight. My last trip to the track I was all over the place loosing traction but now it just squats and goes. All around a good mod for the $40.00 I have invested. :burnout:

MMBLUE
04-27-2010, 05:28 AM
Now I know what you've been up too lately. Does this mean your ready for the SSM picnic?. BTW, good job on those, they look fabulous!! Now you'll hook up :burnout:.

babbage
04-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Looks really good. Seems to work better eh? Did your 1/8 mile times improve?

musclemerc
04-27-2010, 07:20 AM
Looks really good. Seems to work better eh? Did your 1/8 mile times improve?

I won't tell! You better get ready.... :burnout:

SC Cheesehead
05-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Got my boxed control arms from Musclemerc today, WOW! :bounce:

Superb workmanship, very pleased! Can't wait to get them on the Bluesmobile, pics during the install to follow.

musclemerc
05-05-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm glad you liked the finished product SC Cheesehead. It really means alot to me that your satisfied with the work that I put into making your CA's.

Post up some pics when your done! Happy Maraudering :burnout:

Got my boxed control arms from Musclemerc today, WOW! :bounce:

Superb workmanship, very pleased! Can't wait to get them on the Bluesmobile, pics during the install to follow.

SC Cheesehead
05-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Hey, if ahybody out there in Marauderland is considering boxed CAs, I'd recommend musclemerc. You'll need to provide donor sets, and you'll want to PM for prices, but IMO, this is the route you want to go for "old school" CAs. :up:

frdwrnch
05-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Very Cool! Very resourceful! I'm considering it.

SC Cheesehead
05-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Very Cool! Very resourceful! I'm considering it.

If you need a donor set, let me know. I'll have the OEM's available as soon as I get together with 03mmmonroe to swap out.

ImpalaSlayer
05-07-2010, 11:30 AM
If you need a donor set, let me know. I'll have the OEM's available as soon as I get together with 03mmmonroe to swap out.

scared to do it yourself? :D

SC Cheesehead
05-07-2010, 11:53 AM
scared to do it yourself? :D

Russ has a nice shop area to work in, plus access to a press for the bushings.

Working smarter, not harder! ;) -----> :D

Zack
05-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Hey musclemerc, would these interest you? :D

13 Lowers, 14 uppers.

I will sell them together, to you.

SC Cheesehead
05-07-2010, 11:55 AM

13 Lowers, 14 uppers.

WOW, WIP Inventory! Good stuff, Maynard!

musclemerc
05-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Hell yeah!! PM me some info.

13 Lowers, 14 uppers.

musclemerc
05-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Just remember Rex the upper's have 2 diffrent size bushins. Do not mix them up when you install them.

Russ has a nice shop area to work in, plus access to a press for the bushings.

Working smarter, not harder! ;) -----> :D

Joe Walsh
05-07-2010, 01:38 PM
If you make a deal with Zack and need that odd lower control arm, contact Brian - "Silversurfer03"
He has 3 wrecked Marauders at his salvage yard. One is just a frame laying upside down, but I saw that it still has the control arms on it.

musclemerc
05-07-2010, 01:43 PM
^^^ Thanks Joe!

ImpalaSlayer
05-07-2010, 01:47 PM
damn looks like you will be busy for a while

bob6364
07-19-2010, 04:32 PM
I just checked on Ford parts direct and 2 uppers and 2 lowers will run you 90 bucks plus shipping if someone wants to do this and can't get used ones...still alot less then aftermarket... fwiw

musclemerc
07-19-2010, 04:51 PM
You welding anything yet Bob? If anyone need's parts shoot me a PM. I have plenty...