PDA

View Full Version : tuners

bocat187
03-30-2010, 03:01 PM
i was told that when u buy a tuner it comes already with a tune is this true or u have to go get a tune from somebody. If it doesn't what can u actually do with the tuner if u don't have a tune on it

bocat187
03-30-2010, 03:10 PM
does anybody wanna help me

4play
03-30-2010, 03:10 PM
usually yes they have a tune. but it's really conservitive. custom tunes can be better, like I hear the Zack tune and the alternitive auto seem to be the top 2 on here.

Dennis Reinhart
03-30-2010, 03:34 PM
i was told that when u buy a tuner it comes already with a tune is this true or u have to go get a tune from somebody. If it doesn't what can u actually do with the tuner if u don't have a tune on it

Actually there are people buying blank Xcal 3, then paying for a tune this is silly, there are plenty of choices here and the SCT dealers here sell the tunes with the tuner for the same price, things to look for is are future updates free, and be sure to ask for user options.:burnout:

Pat
03-30-2010, 03:38 PM
If you buy a tuner, AKA Flasher, from a company that sell them retail the advertisement usually states what tune(s) are on the unit. Reinhart Engineering, Alternative Automotive, SCT, Diablosport offer "canned" tunes. However, you must tell the company. before you buy, what gear set you have, any modifications such as CAI, headers, pully's, stall converters, nitrous and so on. Then they can better tailor the tune to your car. Some companies won'tdo this. Also, ask about user function activation. Again some companies won't activate them.

A simple phone call to the various vendors can sort this out and make the buying experience pleasant. Once you have a tuner in your hot little hands and the thing is not set up for your car then it's additional cost to reset.

Regards,

4play
03-30-2010, 06:31 PM
oh and I almost forgot the Dennis Reinhart tune is good too lol (sorry Dennis)

fastblackmerc
03-30-2010, 07:19 PM
The tune you get with a tuner will make you MM good..... get the car dyno tuned and it will be better.

Black_Out
04-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Yep, dyno tuning is always the best, but expensive and a one time deal.

If you plan on making alot of future modifications, I would buy a handheld tuner so you can make the changes yourself and/or buy new tunes cheap.

A dyno tune will be custom tailored to your exact car, in the exact condition it's in to make it run the best.

Ktorres1
04-01-2010, 09:44 AM
How much hp & tq gain should I expect to see from a good dyno tune on a marauder with nothing more than a jlt intake, NGK iridium plugs and a 180 tstat ? Also should I expect to get many of the tranny improvements lidio praises?

Paul T. Casey
04-01-2010, 09:50 AM
How much hp & tq gain should I expect to see from a good dyno tune on a marauder with nothing more than a jlt intake, NGK iridium plugs and a 180 tstat ? Also should I expect to get many of the tranny improvements lidio praises?

Add 20 to 30 to each of your initial rear wheel numbers. Intake is the only real gainer there. Pop on a set of u/d's for another 8 to 10 at the wheels. A minimal cost.

Paul T. Casey
04-01-2010, 09:52 AM
The other thing the tuner or dyno tuner does is change your shift points. This helps optimize what you already have. Moving the WOT shifts into the powerband will help you put some dents in your headrest.

Ktorres1
04-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Sounds about what I would want, should I throw the tuner some feedback about how I preety much want the car to daily drive like the way lidio sets his tranny improvements or is that only possible through lidio?

SC Cheesehead
04-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Sounds about what I would want, should I throw the tuner some feedback about how I preety much want the car to daily drive like the way lidio sets his tranny improvements or is that only possible through lidio?

Give Dennis a call, he does tunes as well.

Dennis Reinhart
04-01-2010, 01:16 PM

I would not use Iridium plugs go with NGK copper they run colder wich relates to more timh with less spark knock.

JOHN SB04
04-01-2010, 01:32 PM
I would not use Iridium plugs go with NGK copper they run colder wich relates to more timh with less spark knock.
HI MR R.I JUST CALLED AUTO ZONE AND ASKED ABOUT NGK COPPER,HE SAID HE HAS NGK PLATIUM PLUGS ARE THESE OK TO USE IN MY MM...THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME SIR.............JOHNSBO4:help:

Dennis Reinhart
04-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Tell them you want copper and ask for one heat range warmer than a NGK TR6 Advance carries them as well

Ktorres1
04-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Are they more expensive?