PDA

View Full Version : J moded valve body kit's

WPG_Merc
04-01-2010, 04:34 PM
I was wondering what J moded valve body kit's are available for the 4R70W Trans. :)
Is it an easy swap & also would I need a re tune for it as the MM is more a street N/A car .
I have read a lot about J mods & I would like to do an upgrade before I get the trans flushed with RP.

Ktorres1
04-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Same here!!

Ktorres1
04-01-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't believe you will need a retune unless you need to decrease line pressure due to too firm of a shift increase with the j-mod but I'm also looking foward to this mod as well..

-Matt-
04-01-2010, 08:05 PM
just drill out your stock valve body plate

justbob
04-01-2010, 10:28 PM
http://www.crownvic.net/tech/4R70Wnotes.pdf

Just follow the directions, lower the line pressure if needed untill you feel warm and fuzzy. Gaskets are like $3.00, 9-10 quarts of oil and a filter. Done.

252life
04-02-2010, 12:21 AM
If I'm not mistaking, I remember reading something about putting (Mustang ?) valve body springs in as opposed to removing the stock springs, which was referred to as being "stupid".
Any one have any info on this? Are there better alternative springs that can be used?

juno
04-02-2010, 04:47 AM
Darrin use to sell valve body kits. Drop the pan, follow the very clear instuctions, (with pics), swap your valve body with the new one, put it back together. Sell your old one.
It's about a 45-60 minute job, but definitely let the tranny cool down a bit first!!!

Go to his website.

Marauder Rick
04-02-2010, 04:58 AM
Just drop the pan, take out the valve body, remove the spring in the 1-2 accumulator, remove 1 of the 2 springs in the 2-3 accumulator, drill out the appropriate holes in the separator plate and put it back together. If you had a tune to increase line pressure then the 1-2 kick may be a tiny bit much at cruising speeds (not for me though, i like it), but if you're a stocker, there shouldn't b any ploblem.

P.S. while you've got the pan down, might as well put in a drain plug. it makes life easier.

babbage
04-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Darrin use to sell valve body kits. Drop the pan, follow the very clear instuctions, (with pics), swap your valve body with the new one, put it back together. Sell your old one.
It's about a 45-60 minute job, but definitely let the tranny cool down a bit first!!!

Go to his website.

I got a custom valve body from him. http://www.bc-automotive.com

justbob
04-02-2010, 06:24 AM
If I'm not mistaking, I remember reading something about putting (Mustang ?) valve body springs in as opposed to removing the stock springs, which was referred to as being "stupid".
Any one have any info on this? Are there better alternative springs that can be used?
Don't waste your time with lighter springs, just remove them. Mine shifts faster, not harder at normal speeds, ever so slighty harder at 1/4 pedal or more. NO banging.

Zack
04-02-2010, 06:26 AM
The whole point of doing a J-Mod is to have the transmission bang gears.

If your 'taste' (or wife and kids) do not approve of low speed hard shifts, dont do it.

CBT
04-02-2010, 06:27 AM
NO banging.

.....tempted to say it.....

Haggis
04-02-2010, 07:01 AM
.....tempted to say it.....

That's what she said......:D

stryker
04-02-2010, 08:10 AM
:confused: The B.C. trans valve kit has the J-mod done already ? I am looking for a kit with that mod done so the only thing I have to do is swap and do a trans flush to change the fluid to a new one.

WPG_Merc
04-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the info Guys :up:

I'm still pondering of ether A Valve kit that has J - mod done already or a trans shop modding the stock one.
The big prob is trans shops here don't know what a J - mod really is & might need an education on it. :eek:

And if it isn't done right can be costly like labor & 10 liters of RP oil or bigger probs. :bigcry:

Zack
04-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the info Guys :up:

I'm still pondering of ether A Valve kit that has J - mod done already or a trans shop modding the stock one.
The big prob is trans shops here don't know what a J - mod really is & might need an education on it. :eek:

And if it isn't done right can be costly like labor & 10 liters of RP oil or bigger probs. :bigcry:

NO VALVE BODY KIT HAS THE J-MOD DONE TO IT!

You have to remove the valve body to remove the springs...If you cant unbolt 9 fasteners and drill 5-6 holes larger, DONT BOTHER WITH EITHER!

252life
04-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Don't waste your time with lighter springs, just remove them. Mine shifts faster, not harder at normal speeds, ever so slighty harder at 1/4 pedal or more. NO banging.

I have done the j-mod years ago, but it's shifting a little to hard (I pretty much get wheel spin all the time in the rain on every shift up or down)
Would like to try some other springs maybe, from what I understand Darrin sells some springs that can be a nice compromise between no springs and the stock springs.
Is this a good idea? Anybody use those springs?

Also I found the other post I was referring to, see post 5

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40771&highlight=stupid

Local Boy
04-02-2010, 11:56 PM
For whatever it's worth...

Did the J-Mod awhile ago...shifted too hard without the springs...even with the line presure all the way down...

Put back the springs (stock)...and it's PERFECT now...

Shifts quick, and as hard as I like it...depending on throttle angle...

Aloha

DOOM
04-03-2010, 12:13 AM
The whole point of doing a J-Mod is to have the transmission bang gears.

If your 'taste' (or wife and kids) do not approve of low speed hard shifts, dont do it.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :2thumbs:

Sully008
04-03-2010, 10:17 AM
NO VALVE BODY KIT HAS THE J-MOD DONE TO IT!

You have to remove the valve body to remove the springs...If you cant unbolt 9 fasteners and drill 5-6 holes larger, DONT BOTHER WITH EITHER!

Doesn't this kit from Darrin already have the j-mod done to it?

http://bc-automotive.com/html/complete_4r70w_valve_body_kit. html

"Our valve bodies are modified without using any of the “tricks” and add on parts that so many other companies use to get the shift feel that they want. We prefer to do it the right way. The safe way. We make internal changes to provide critical fluid flow to charge and release all of the transmission components properly and supply the correct parts to give you the shift feel that you want. With other kits, you yourself have to drill and make permanent changes to your valve body that cannot be undone if things get messed up or you later decide that you want to step it down or go back to stock. With our kit there is no chance of making a mistake by drilling in the wrong place or using the wrong size bit because all of this work has already been done for you."

massacre
04-03-2010, 11:23 AM
If you are not going to do it yourself just get one already done.
I wouldn't trust just any old shop to do a J-mod on my trans.

And yes, Darrin's valve body kits have the separator plate part of the J-mod done to them.
The J-mod is more than just modifying the separator plate, though.