PDA

View Full Version : Eaton swap #10...

jdenning002
04-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Well, after about 6 weeks of having fun shopping for parts and reading up on stuff, I started the project today.

I got a few difficult things done today, ground down the knock sensor bosses, clearanced the cobra lower intake for the even flow kit... (I even shaved a little off of the "nipple thingy"...

I am going to spend all day on it tomorrow and hopefully get close to finished to get to the dyno Wednesday or Thursday morning...

I will post more pics later, the only other PITA will be the crossover tube, I have a few different ideas, we will see...

Before today, the car has been 100% stock, not even a tune. I bought it Feb. this year, 43K miles. (My second MM, I used to have an 04 with a DR Novi setup, it was great but no match to a roots style blower...)

Thanks so much for all the help from all those who have done this so far, it has made things lightyears easier!

This car is the greatest car ever made, and this site is awesome!

jdenning002
04-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Oh, by the way... What is the easiest way to get the damn freeze plugs out???

justbob
04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Like a caveman would. Hammer and small chisel. I've had good luck tapping on one side till the other side pops up. Lookin good man.

bawazir
04-06-2010, 06:02 AM
Congrats bro your couple step away of getting it done :2thumbs:

burt ragio
04-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Nice keep the pics & info coming.

Zack
04-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Make sure you clearance the lower intake to the Evenflow adapter WITH NO GASKETS IN PLACE. This will make it a foolproof deal. If its touching just a little bit when you crank it down, you are gonna be hunting down a vacuum leak for months.

LOL at being on the dyno Wednesday or Thursday :rofl:

If you pull it off, my hats off to you sir!

babbage
04-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Looking good. Nice job so far. Congrats on doing it yourself.

jdenning002
04-06-2010, 03:51 PM
4 hours of work and only one of the 2 freeze plugs out... A smashed finger, and no end in sight.... So much for being done anytime soon.

Any ideas on getting the darn thing out? I drilled a hole and threaded a lag bolt in to get the other one out, on the second one, the bolt keeps stripping out... I cant find a puller tool anywhere excpet ordering online, I want to get it done.

Zack
04-06-2010, 04:30 PM
4 hours of work and only one of the 2 freeze plugs out... A smashed finger, and no end in sight.... So much for being done anytime soon.

Any ideas on getting the darn thing out? I drilled a hole and threaded a lag bolt in to get the other one out, on the second one, the bolt keeps stripping out... I cant find a puller tool anywhere excpet ordering online, I want to get it done.

WTF?
Get a punch, place it on one end of the freeze plug and hit the punch with a hammer! This is a 1.2 minute job

Joe Walsh
04-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I've got to hand it to you "D-I-Y Eaton" guys....:bows:
I must be getting old, because I definitely do NOT have the time or patience to shop, haggle, hunt down and attempt this mod.
I'd just call Trilogy and be done with it, regardless of how much $ savings I missed out on.

burt ragio
04-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Don't use a drill to remove the freeze plugs. You don't need aluminum files in the water passages ect. Use a hammer & old screw driver. Tap through & pry out the plugs.

babbage
04-06-2010, 05:26 PM
I've got to hand it to you "D-I-Y Eaton" guys....:bows:
I must be getting old, because I definitely do NOT have the time or patience to shop, haggle, hunt down and attempt this mod.
I'd just call Trilogy and be done with it, regardless of how much $ savings I missed out on.

Yeah I'm thinking that too. Bouns: it's all brand new plus: awesome directions and everything is included.

babbage
04-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Don't use a drill to remove the freeze plugs. You don't need aluminum files in the water passages ect. Use a hammer & old screw driver. Tap through & pry out the plugs.

I did this in my old CV - installed a block heater - used a drill first (there was coolant in there waiting to come out and that plug is low on the block) and when that didn't work a flat blade screw driver + hammer. Hit it on one side and it will start to twist and pivot - then just grab the edge with some pliars and pop it out.

You could take a propane torch to it for 10 seconds to help loosen it.
It should pop right out.

Zack
04-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeah I'm thinking that too. Bouns: it's all brand new plus: awesome directions and everything is included.

Those without mechanical knowledge or creative ingenuity should not do an Eaton Swap

-Matt-
04-06-2010, 07:44 PM
I used to have an 04 with a DR Novi setup, it was great but no match to a roots style blower...

What makes you think that?

jdenning002
04-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I got the second one out! What a M****r F****r! I broke 2 screw drivers and a pic tool. The worst is over!

I know, it should have been a 2 minute job, I don't know why the hell they were so bad. but it took me all day, we will see how tomorrow goes, lucky I have the week off.

As far as the eaton kit, that is all the fun... And I have an extra $3500 in my pocket, to each his own....

The difficulty removing the freeze plugs to install the optional even-flow kit has nothing to do with the eaton swap... it would be the same for a trilogy kit.

And I loved the centri blower, but roots is the better option to me, there is nothing that matches it.

FordNut
04-07-2010, 02:59 AM
Make sure the scratches on the freeze plug holes are smoothed out very well or the o-rings on the evenflow kit will leak. Then you'll have to pull the whole intake manifold back off to fix it.

Zack
04-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Please dont tell me you are leaving the EGR tube like that.

FordNut
04-07-2010, 04:35 AM

Would that even be possible? Seems like the plenum would be in the way.

babbage
04-07-2010, 05:57 AM
Those without mechanical knowledge or creative ingenuity should not do an Eaton Swap

I've done quite a bit on my car, installed a newer transmission and TC by myself, brakes, plugs, did tensioners and arms on my 4.6 2v, did my PHP spacer, water pump etc - but the Eaton swap still seems like a lot. Perhaps once there are more threads like this I'd be less afraid.... ;) We are not all as awesome as you Zack.. :D

Zack
04-07-2010, 06:31 AM
I've done quite a bit on my car, installed a newer transmission and TC by myself, brakes, plugs, did tensioners and arms on my 4.6 2v, did my PHP spacer, water pump etc - but the Eaton swap still seems like a lot. Perhaps once there are more threads like this I'd be less afraid.... ;) We are not all as awesome as you Zack.. :D

Its not about my awesomeness :D

The track record for the eaton swaps have been damn near perfect so far...
All it takes is one person who lacks the skills/ingenuity and ends up opening a can of worms to deter another from doing the swap. :beer:h

Joe Walsh
04-07-2010, 06:49 AM

I've got both...plus I'm handsome!*

What if we don't want to 'reinvent the wheel' and want a warranty and a base tune?

:D

*CBT told me so!

jdenning002
04-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Make sure the scratches on the freeze plug holes are smoothed out very well or the o-rings on the evenflow kit will leak. Then you'll have to pull the whole intake manifold back off to fix it.

I sanded them, thanks.

jdenning002
04-07-2010, 06:59 AM

The delete kit just came with the cap in the pic, where can I get the plug instead?

Zack
04-07-2010, 07:04 AM
The delete kit just came with the cap in the pic, where can I get the plug instead?

You are supposed to put the cap on the exhaust manifold, LOL :rofl:

jdenning002
04-07-2010, 07:38 AM
You are supposed to put the cap on the exhaust manifold, LOL :rofl:

the tube is one piece all the way to the top....?

justbob
04-07-2010, 07:47 AM
There is an adaptor on the manifold that the EGR tube screws to. Leave the adaptor in and screw the cap onto it.

Zack
04-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Get you MAPP gas torch out and let the flame hit the nut for 5 minutes.

Do NOT skimp out on the 5 minutes part! If you do as I say the nut will come right off.

IIRC its a 1 1/16"

jdenning002
04-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Got it, thanks guys.... much better! I am finally making some progress.

bawazir
04-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Your eaton swap should look like this buddy
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61791

ImpalaSlayer
04-07-2010, 01:20 PM
it really isnt rocket science to swap one of these. id say the worst part is extending all the wires. not that its hard, but very time consuming if you really want it to look good and factory

jdenning002
04-07-2010, 05:04 PM
where can I re-install the knock sensor? or is it necessary?

anybody have a tune I can use to get the car to the dyno shop?

I have gotten a bunch done, (pics later tonight) another full day to go... Dyno Friday AM...

ImpalaSlayer
04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
leave the knock sensors off. cobras dont have them

LeoVampire
04-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Take your time dot your I's and cross your T's so you don't have to back track.

;)

justbob
04-07-2010, 05:18 PM
If you choose to leave the knock sensors, there is either a bolt or a hole for the bolt right behind both heads. The wires will reach with no issues.

Spectragod
04-07-2010, 05:23 PM
If you chose to leave the knock sensors, there is either a bolt or a hole for the bolt right behind both heads. The wires will reach with no issues.

^^^^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^^^

Bolt holes are on the back of the heads, they will bolt right up.

Glenn
04-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I got the second one out! What a M****r F****r! I broke 2 screw drivers and a pic tool. The worst is over!

I know, it should have been a 2 minute job, I don't know why the hell they were so bad. but it took me all day, we will see how tomorrow goes, lucky I have the week off.

As far as the eaton kit, that is all the fun... And I have an extra $3500 in my pocket, to each his own....

The difficulty removing the freeze plugs to install the optional even-flow kit has nothing to do with the eaton swap... it would be the same for a trilogy kit.

And I loved the centri blower, but roots is the better option to me, there is nothing that matches it.

Don't tell anyone I said this - but the rear head cooling mod has never really been proven necessary regardless of all the talk. Many SC owner's do not have it and the engine runs fine even in hot areas.

Glenn Ford

Zack
04-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Don't tell anyone I said this - but the rear head cooling mod has never really been proven necessary regardless of all the talk. Many SC owner's do not have it and the engine runs fine even in hot areas.

Glenn Ford

Im biting my lip not to start name calling Glenn.

Its cute when you talk about your shorty headers, but not in this instance.

justbob
04-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Glenn Ford
I read that you just said that!:D I don't have it. After two years, my compression is still steady at 218-228. Not saying good or bad, if I had the extra coin, i'd probably go with it, but just fine so far.

Zack
04-07-2010, 05:39 PM
John, I need the following:
pcm code
gear ratio
injector size
MAF
MAFia (I hope you have one)

ImpalaSlayer
04-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I read that you just said that!:D I don't have it. After two years, my compression is still steady at 218-228. Not saying good or bad, if I had the extra coin, i'd probably go with it, but just fine so far.

never done any tests but i mean mine is still chugging right alone. i never really read much into the problem or anything either. watch. now it'll over heat and explode

justbob
04-07-2010, 05:44 PM
never done any tests but i mean mine is still chugging right alone. i never really read much into the problem or anything either. watch. now it'll over heat and explode
Your typing exactly what i'm thinkin....:(

massacre
04-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Eaton swap is easy compared to what I'm doing...lol
Good luck!

ImpalaSlayer
04-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Eaton swap is easy compared to what I'm doing...lol
Good luck!

post up more pics will ya!

jdenning002
04-07-2010, 07:43 PM
john, i need the following:

Pcm code: crd0 (zero)
gear ratio: stock- 3.55
injector size: 39#
maf: 90mm cobra/ lightning
mafia: yes

Zack
04-07-2010, 07:44 PM

Ill send it tomorrow when i get to Kentucky.

Set the MAFia on 2.

jdenning002
04-07-2010, 07:55 PM
-Egr tube removed and capped properly (Had to remove the wheel and trim panel)

-Lower intake bolted in

-blower bolted in

-plenum/throttlebody, etc installed

-intercooler mounted (I am goign to add 2 lower brackets in addition to what is done)

-I installed the GT fuel pump about a month ago

-injectors, fuel rail etc...

I have lots to do tomorrow.

The cobra coolant tube under the intake was worth the $60 (new), no banging and it bolted right into the rear of the head.

jdenning002
04-07-2010, 07:56 PM
ill send it tomorrow when i get to kentucky.

Set the mafia on 2.

thanks!!!!

jdenning002
04-07-2010, 08:00 PM
This is the one I bought from SPEED (THANKS!!), it came from Frozenboost.com

Zack
04-07-2010, 08:00 PM
First eaton swap outside, lol!

jdenning002
04-07-2010, 08:07 PM

The car is in my driveway, I was gonna do it in the garage but my CV is in there and I am waiting for an ABS module pigtail. I installed the 2009 ABS Module and they sent me the wrong pigtail so the car is disabled until I get the right one and wire it in... I am installing the newer style module to eliminate the warning lights for ABS & BRAKES on the newer style cluster and this way the car has traction control too. The 09 motor/trans/computer run great.

At least it has been around 70 degrees all week, at 7AM in the morning it is only around 50, but dry. I only have this week off for a while.

Thanks for all the help.

tjl006
04-07-2010, 08:08 PM
The 2nd. When you have no room in the garage you got to work with what you got.

dohc324ci
04-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Looking good John. I've got to definatly check out your eaton setup!

ImpalaSlayer
04-08-2010, 08:25 AM
The 2nd. When you have no room in the garage you got to work with what you got.

3rd, mine was done outside

jdenning002
04-08-2010, 10:27 PM
I am almost done, hopefully dyno tomorrow afternoon...

burt ragio
04-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Nice going taking on such a project. With the help of the experienced your rocket ship will soon be completed. Keep the pics comming.

jdenning002
04-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Well, it is about done! I started it up to pull it into the garage, it actually runs great.

I have a few things to finish up, I still need to install the BAP...

I will post some more pics tomorrow.

Tune next week.

I couldn't have done this without all the help here, Thank again to all!

When I finally make one of the next big events, drinks are on me!

ImpalaSlayer
04-09-2010, 08:32 PM
good to hear man!

-Matt-
04-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Pics or it didnt happen

jdenning002
04-10-2010, 07:46 PM
All I have left is a couple hose connections on the IC lines (I ran out of clamps)... And the BAP.

I installed new MSD coils (seen in red in the pic)... I went with the NGK plugs.

For the BAP, is the vacuum/boost connector thing needed? Also, which connection to the pump is best, I have seen several different methods.

I almost forgot, I used the cobra crossover tube and rigged up a rubber hose to get this to work. I am having a custom all metal tube made from the oem marauder tube, it is just goign to take a few weeks... So laugh all you want, but this works and it is pretty creative... I spent 30 minutes hunting through random radiator hoses and bought 5 to try out. I am going to return the unused ones.

tjl006
04-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Looks good man! i really like the aftermarket cobra intake tube looks sharp. The crossover tube is intresting.

ImpalaSlayer
04-11-2010, 09:03 AM
kinda what i did, i got too excited to do it all right the first time around. now im sifting through it little by little to make it all right.

bawazir
04-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Look's great

jdenning002
04-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Looks good man! i really like the aftermarket cobra intake tube looks sharp. The crossover tube is intresting.

It turned out nice, I couldn't find a oem used cobra tube, I found this C&L tube used on ebay...

dohc324ci
04-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Very Nice John! You take it to AED to get the tune done yet?

ImpalaSlayer
04-11-2010, 10:36 AM
hey Brian, how come you dont do this type of swap? i see John is in cali, if he can get away with it why not you?

jdenning002
04-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Very Nice John! You take it to AED to get the tune done yet?

I am shooting for Friday this week to get to the shop for the tune,

I have to finish up a few things.

dohc324ci
04-11-2010, 10:53 AM
hey Brian, how come you dont do this type of swap? i see John is in cali, if he can get away with it why not you?

I am torn because of having to deal the CARB here in cali. I was looking at DR Vortech kit because the head unit has a CARB# for the Marauder. I actually found a new shop/tuner that is also a smog technician that does smog. Plenty of my local mustang club members go there. The Eaton VERY tempting.....

ImpalaSlayer
04-11-2010, 10:55 AM
i am torn because of having to deal the carb here in cali. I was looking at dr vortech kit because the head unit has a carb# for the marauder. I actually found a new shop/tuner that is also a smog technician that does smog. Plenty of my local mustang club members go there. The eaton very tempting.....

do it!!!!!!

jdenning002
04-11-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't see any issues with the eaton, it is oem ford...

I even have a carb sticker for the K&N kit so if they ask about it being aftermarket it is covered... (I bought the filter/adapter as a K&N fipk kit so I would get the CARB sticker...)

I would do the eaton all day over the paxton kit, it is also way cheaper.

You already have the proper injectors, fuel pump, etc...

I can help also!

You car would be a monster with an eaton!

dohc324ci
04-11-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't see any issues with the eaton, it is oem ford...

I even have a carb sticker for the K&N kit so if they ask about it being aftermarket it is covered... (I bought the filter/adapter as a K&N fipk kit so I would get the CARB sticker...)

I would do the eaton all day over the paxton kit, it is also way cheaper.

You already have the proper injectors, fuel pump, etc...

I can help also!

You car would be a monster with an eaton!

John you would be surprised. There was a local club member having problems on his Mustang 3.8 eaton swap (thunderbird eaton sc) passing smog. This state is whacked when it comes to emissions there too damn busy trying to save the glaciers from melting, the population of the penguins and polar bears as apposed to our state 30b deficit! oops sorry I had to vent...

jdenning002
04-22-2010, 08:34 AM
I decided to wait to get the car tuned until I have a proper cross-over tube...

It should be ready today or tomorrow, I will post some pics. I found an amazing welder locally, if anyone needs a tube made or welding this guy is awesome!

dohc324ci
04-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Cool! Ping me man when your done!

jdenning002
04-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Cool! Ping me man when your done!

I have an appt. Monday at AED.

Zack
04-22-2010, 12:06 PM
So the tune I sent you worked well?

ImpalaSlayer
04-22-2010, 01:58 PM
got the tool back today John, thanks

jdenning002
04-22-2010, 04:04 PM
got the tool back today John, thanks

Thank you sir!

jdenning002
04-22-2010, 04:06 PM
So the tune I sent you worked well?

Yes it does! Thanks again Zack.

My tuner really sounds like he knows his stuff... He says it is a good idea to keep the knock sensor and relocate it somewhere though... what do you think?

Is there anywhere to put it other than on the heads?

How does the cobra tuning work without the knock sensor to adjust timing?

Zack
04-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Yes it does! Thanks again Zack.

My tuner really sounds like he knows his stuff... He says it is a good idea to keep the knock sensor and relocate it somewhere though... what do you think?

Is there anywhere to put it other than on the heads?

How does the cobra tuning work without the knock sensor to adjust timing?

Knock sensors dont do squat IMHO.
If you dont know what detonation sounds like, you dont need a blower.
If you know what it sounds like, you dont need knock sensors.

They give a totally false sense of security against detonation, because they will not prevent it from happening even if properly set-up.

jdenning002
04-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Well, I finally made it to the tuner... And it went great!

The car made 442 RWHP and 433 RWTQ at 10PSI (I will post the sheet later today).

I have the stock eaton upper pulley and the 2# lower.

I have stock exhaust and stock trans and T/C.

I would highly reccomend AED for anyone in need of tuning or anythign else in the northern California area... They are awesome!

The car actually made more, but I wanted a safe and conservative tune.

Thanks again to everyone who has been sharing the eaton swap stories and inofo, I could not have doen this without all the help.

An thanks to Zack, for everything!

Zack
04-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Awesome numbers, glad to help.

dohc324ci
04-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Nice! Shaun and Drew are the "BEST" in NorCal for sure. I should have had them build up my motor but didnt know of them at that time. Hindsight is 20/20....lol

Good deal man.

jdenning002
04-27-2010, 10:39 AM
I had a crossover tube made using the oem MM tube and a cobra tube, they guy did a great job.

Zack
04-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Eaton swaps ftw

dohc324ci
04-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Hey John when are you going to be available this week? I need to pickup the mid pipes and possibly the trans...need to get approval for the chief on that one though...

Your going to have to take me for a spin in that thing.....might have to do the Eaton conversion my self...lol

jdenning002
04-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Hey John when are you going to be available this week? I need to pickup the mid pipes and possibly the trans...need to get approval for the chief on that one though...

Your going to have to take me for a spin in that thing.....might have to do the Eaton conversion my self...lol

give me a buzz... I am off today

Your car would be nuts with an eaton and AED tune!!!

ImpalaSlayer
04-27-2010, 12:53 PM
good number man.

jdenning002
04-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Eaton swaps ftw

The passenger side inlet is way sexier than the drivers side...

do I make the "official" list now??

Zack
04-27-2010, 01:41 PM
The passenger side inlet is way sexier than the drivers side...

do I make the "official" list now??

You just did :D :banana2:

ImpalaSlayer
04-27-2010, 01:44 PM
You just did :D :banana2:

i concur

now wheres the vids? lol

LANDY
04-27-2010, 03:30 PM
congrats John, nice power there.
i like the look in the engine, looks factory.
enjoy.

tjl006
04-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Great numbers man!!!

bawazir
04-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Well, I finally made it to the tuner... And it went great!

The car made 442 RWHP and 433 RWTQ at 10PSI (I will post the sheet later today).

I have the stock eaton upper pulley and the 2# lower.

I have stock exhaust and stock trans and T/C.

I would highly reccomend AED for anyone in need of tuning or anythign else in the northern California area... They are awesome!

The car actually made more, but I wanted a safe and conservative tune.

Thanks again to everyone who has been sharing the eaton swap stories and inofo, I could not have doen this without all the help.
An thanks to Zack, for everything!

Great #'s i got same setup as yours and you beat me up 12hp and 14tq, Keep up the good work, glad you got yours done

jdenning002
05-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Where can I find the value in Live Link to log timing??? I can't seem to find it...

burt ragio
05-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Nice work & great numbers that's all I'am looking for max. I may just sell my SW headers & custom exhaust if I could get those numbers.

hotrod64merc
02-24-2011, 09:00 PM
I have been going through all the Eaton swap posts and found bits and pieces. But the questions are;
has anyone compiled a P/N list of the Ford and aftermarket parts and what is an approximate cost to buy all the parts? (Just a dart throw)

Now that I have the 300B I am considering the swap for my 300A.

Thanks and MM.net rocks!

SC Cheesehead
02-25-2011, 07:49 AM
I have been going through all the Eaton swap posts and found bits and pieces. But the questions are;
has anyone compiled a P/N list of the Ford and aftermarket parts and what is an approximate cost to buy all the parts? (Just a dart throw)

Now that I have the 300B I am considering the swap for my 300A.

Thanks and MM.net rocks!

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60366&page=22

Check out post #318, good listing of parts and prices.