PDA

View Full Version : metco lower hub vs. LFP

ImpalaSlayer
04-11-2010, 10:55 AM
well when i first did my eaton swap, i had used an LFP lower hub and pulley. i had immediate problems with this hub coming loose, even with lock tight and lock washers. the pulley also didnt track straight, as in the pulley rotated off center causing the tensioner to tighten and loosen continuously which is probably why it kept coming loose. well i kept tightening it up every 100 miles or so up until the other day when i said enough is enough. i had my tuner/parts guy order me a new one from metco. it came in friday and i put it on yesterday. right off the bat i noticed that the metco one, came with serrated tapered washers which the LFP did not which of coarse would not allow it to center its self on the balancer. also the metco pulley doesn't have the milled out areas for the bolt heads. basically if your ordering a LFP kit for your eaton swap, make sure you add some serrated tapered washers under the bolts and save your self a lot of headache.

lfp left, metco right
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/blaster250cr/IMG_1229.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/blaster250cr/IMG_1232.jpg

you ca see the LFP pulley has come loose so many times that it its really beat up and the holes are all egged out. it basically trashed its self.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/blaster250cr/IMG_1233.jpg

back of metco
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/blaster250cr/IMG_1235.jpg

the new metco pulley doesn't have these milled out recesses

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/blaster250cr/IMG_1236.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/blaster250cr/IMG_1237.jpg

LANDY
04-11-2010, 11:04 AM
great, the metco looks the way is supposed to.
dont understand why would they mill out the recesses for something thats is goin to be spiming that fast.

jdenning002
04-11-2010, 11:12 AM
I used the LFP, I ordered the lightning kit, it was way cheaper ($209 for hub, 2# pulley and belt) I did some research and found it is the same part as the cobra kit that sells for 349-399 without the belt...

I didn't use washers, thanks for the heads up... I will have to add some.

Phrog_gunner
04-11-2010, 11:21 AM
great, the metco looks the way is supposed to.
dont understand why would they mill out the recesses for something thats is goin to be spiming that fast.

It's milled out so you can get a socket on the bolt head.

ImpalaSlayer
04-11-2010, 11:27 AM
It's milled out so you can get a socket on the bolt head.
actually its milled out for the head of the bolt, there is no room for a hex head, they both use allen heads.

ImpalaSlayer
04-11-2010, 11:30 AM
I used the LFP, I ordered the lightning kit, it was way cheaper ($209 for hub, 2# pulley and belt) I did some research and found it is the same part as the cobra kit that sells for 349-399 without the belt...

I didn't use washers, thanks for the heads up... I will have to add some.

the LFP would have prolly worked fine for me if they had supplied me with the proper washers. i actually bought some from mcmaster carr before i got the new pulley but i figured what the hell, ill just get a new hub since i know this one is trashed. also i got this new hub and bolts from metco for 125. find a used ring off svtp and you could have this setup for around 200 bucks with a belt.

also the LFP and metco rings are interchangeable

DTUB
04-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Glad I bought a Metco. Are these serrated conical lock washers and which side goes towards the hub? :confused:

Phrog_gunner
04-11-2010, 12:05 PM
actually its milled out for the head of the bolt, there is no room for a hex head, they both use allen heads.

Same/same because the bolts require torquing and the preferred method would be with a socket instead of an extension and a crow's foot. They may not have been orig designed for use with internal-wrenching hexagon drive bolts. But at your prior request I didn't want to get all technical on you. :P

LANDY
04-11-2010, 12:43 PM
very true!

LANDY
04-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Same/same because the bolts require torquing and the preferred method would be with a socket instead of an extension and a crow's foot. :P
thats the only way to do it. :beer:

ImpalaSlayer
04-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Same/same because the bolts require torquing and the preferred method would be with a socket instead of an extension and a crow's foot. They may not have be orig designed for use with internal-wrenching hexagon drive bolts. But at your prior request I didn't want to get all technical on you. :P

i have no idea what you just said

ImpalaSlayer
04-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Glad I bought a Metco. Are these serrated conical lock washers and which side goes towards the hub? :confused:
pointy end to the hub so it self centers itself

Phrog_gunner
04-11-2010, 01:04 PM
i have no idea what you just said

Pats lil davey on the head, one day, one day. I would expound, but I think you really do know what I said and are messing with me and I don't really want to hijack the thread. :P

ImpalaSlayer
04-11-2010, 01:06 PM
i never tq anything unless its internal on an engine. anything else is a waste of time

jdenning002
04-11-2010, 01:11 PM

what size and type washers did you use?

Phrog_gunner
04-11-2010, 01:13 PM
i never tq anything unless its internal on an engine. anything else is a waste of time

I'm pretty much the same way EXCEPT for things attached to the crankshaft.

ImpalaSlayer
04-11-2010, 01:16 PM
what size and type washers did you use?

i have some extras i can send you, i had to buy like 20 when i bought them. if not, the bolts are 10mm serrated on the top and bottom.

Zack
04-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Glad you got it figured out. I think your used hub was goobered up from the get-go though.....

ImpalaSlayer
04-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Glad you got it figured out. I think your used hub was goobered up from the get-go though.....

could be, i really have no clue. im just glad i can drive around with sounding like i swapped in a powerstroke

jdenning002
04-12-2010, 07:38 AM
i have some extras i can send you, i had to buy like 20 when i bought them. if not, the bolts are 10mm serrated on the top and bottom.

let me at least send you a few bucks back with your alt. tool...

I will put it in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks again.

O's Fan Rich
04-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Dave... I have an LFP lower hub..... if you want it.

ImpalaSlayer
04-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Dave... I have an LFP lower hub..... if you want it.

im good to go Rich, bought a metco hub and all is well! thanks for the offer though.

PS, come out of hiding, where ya been?

O's Fan Rich
04-13-2010, 01:10 PM
im good to go Rich, bought a metco hub and all is well! thanks for the offer though.

PS, come out of hiding, where ya been?

You ain't seen nothing yet......

ImpalaSlayer
05-11-2010, 01:38 PM
well just when i tought this was fixed, yeah right. my dad came up with with the idea of making basically a big washer that catches all three bolts and has an opening int he middle for the balancer bolt to clear. ill post pics when it is done.

this is really getting old.

ImpalaSlayer
05-11-2010, 01:40 PM
oh yeah, i just called metco, AWESOME customer service! although the guy i spoke to couldnt give me a definite answer as to why this might be happening, he is going to have a tech call me back tomorrow. :bows:

Georges93LX
05-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Your problems could be caused by the NUT holding the wrench.:P

babbage
05-11-2010, 05:44 PM
your problems could be caused by the nut holding the wrench.:p
:d - -------------------------

B.C. Bake
05-11-2010, 06:34 PM
I never had any problems with Metco. Quality stuff. But it dose cost.....:coolman:

ImpalaSlayer
05-11-2010, 06:40 PM
I never had any problems with Metco. Quality stuff. But it dose cost.....:coolman:

ive never herd of any one haveing problems but i sure am for some reason

gortch
05-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Here is what I did to make sure that didn't happen.

[ATTACH]20427

gortch
05-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Forget the pic on the left, don't know where it came from.