PDA

View Full Version : $350 budget...

dwrwebb
04-27-2010, 02:51 PM
OK, so I have had my (precious) Marauder for a little over a year now, and decided it is about time I finally add some more power. Everything is still stock (except the floor mats...), and I only have about +- $350 right now. I figured maybe a tunermight be the route to go, but then thought perhaps start with a CAI first....any suggestions/insights? JLT seems popular, as well as the obvious K&N, but JLT seems comparable for about $70-$100 less...

SC Cheesehead
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Save another $25 or so and go with a tune, best mod for the money, IMO.

Mr. Man
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Save your $$$ and buy us all beer at next years Kentucky meet:D. Cai and a tune are good places to start. Think about a 4:10 gear swap also but you will need a tuner for that to change the speedo and such.

BAD MERC
04-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Save another $25 or so and go with a tune, best mod for the money, IMO.

That's no opinion - its a fact!

musclemerc
04-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Nice 1st post.... Let the mods begin! :burnout:

dwrwebb
04-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Wow that was fast...Thanks for the input! I have considered the 4.10's, and will probably pursue that, but as you mentioned, a tune would be needed... I guess for now I will get the JLT, and then go from there...what about flashing? There is so much info, I don't even remember 1/4 of it...They all seem pretty expensive ($300+) too. I would have been able to get more mods right after purchasing, but I gut it used, and it needed to be repainted which really set me back quite a lot. In fact, I couldn't even get everything done-just the hood and roof. Both were blistered up really badly, and could not wait to be done. It's sad that someone let the car get that way...

musclemerc
04-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Place a WTB ad and try to get one used so you can spread your cashflow around.

FordNut
04-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Get a tune

CBT
04-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Save your $$$ and buy us all beer at next years Kentucky meet:D.

This ranks as one of the smartest posts you've ever made :beer:

J-MAN
04-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Another vote for the tune!

dwrwebb
04-27-2010, 04:15 PM
mmmmm....beer....
That probably why I don't have more money for this stuff right now....
It seems like alot of people recommend the SCT. A buddy of mine has always used Superchips on his cars/trucks...I guess when it comes to stuff like that, it sometimes seems like a foreign language

fastblackmerc
04-27-2010, 04:25 PM
I'd get the JLT, then underdrive pulleys then a tune to top it off.

4.10's will set you back at least $500.00. Way over your budget.

Will you be doing the work yourself?

If so, your money will go further.

SC Cheesehead
04-27-2010, 04:41 PM
A tune is plug 'n play.

Order one from Dennis Reinhart or Lidio, they'll send you the tuner with tunes loaded (one for the stock gears, one for 4.10s), unwrap it, plug the cable into the OBD port, download, done!

If you decide to go with U/D pulleys, let your tuner know and he can bump up the idle speed to account for the pulleys.

dwrwebb
04-27-2010, 04:49 PM
I'd get the JLT, then underdrive pulleys then a tune to top it off.

4.10's will set you back at least $500.00. Way over your budget.

Will you be doing the work yourself?

If so, your money will go further.
I will be doing some of the work, depending on the project. I have two friend who both have loads of experience in the area. One of them works mainly with diesels now, and his brother actually has a degree in high performance automotive something or other... Anyway, they are both more than willing/able to assist in some of the more complex projects (4.10's, etc). "simple" projects like the CAI, chip, etc I can manage easily, but it's good to know that I have capable help if I need it.

dwrwebb
04-27-2010, 04:52 PM
A tune is plug 'n play.

Order one from Dennis Reinhart or Lidio, they'll send you the tuner with tunes loaded (one for the stock gears, one for 4.10s), unwrap it, plug the cable into the OBD port, download, done!

If you decide to go with U/D pulleys, let your tuner know and he can bump up the idle speed to account for the pulleys.

I hadn't even looked into the UD pulleys...I did, however, look at reinhart's site. I will have to revisit the site to refresh my memory on that subject though. I suppose I could get the JLT and just save some mroe money for the next "step(s)". The tunes come with the OBD module, right? and those cost about $350, right? I definitely need to go back and review that info...

SC Cheesehead
04-27-2010, 05:25 PM
I hadn't even looked into the UD pulleys...I did, however, look at reinhart's site. I will have to revisit the site to refresh my memory on that subject though. I suppose I could get the JLT and just save some mroe money for the next "step(s)". The tunes come with the OBD module, right? and those cost about $350, right? I definitely need to go back and review that info...

http://www.reinhartperformance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/xcal%203TN.jpg (http://www.reinhartperformance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=12345&Product_Code=MM-SCTXCAL&Category_Code=9)

You buy the tuner with the tune loaded on it. It comes with a cable that you plug into the OBD port under the dash to downlaod the tune into the computer in your car.

Dennis is selling the X-Cal 3 for around $400 bucks, and IIRC, that includes up to 2 tunes loaded on it, plus a backup OEM tune.

http://www.reinhartperformance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Wes at Innovative Interceptors

http://www.innovativeinterceptors.com/mm.html

and Lidio at Alternative Automotive

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prodserv/marauder_tune.html

also sell SCT products and are in the same price range.

It's your money, obviously, but a tune is going to give you a whole lot more bang for the buck than a CAI.

Mr. Man
04-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Check out the pics of the JLT and the K&N before you buy. Though the JLT is less expensive and the performance gains are similar the K&N is much more refined looking and as Fernando said "It's better to look good than to feel good"

Mr. Man
04-27-2010, 05:34 PM
This ranks as one of the smartest posts you've ever made :beer:Now imagine if you posted a smart thought too the world as we know it might spin differently on its axis;)

Zack
04-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Ill help you out....

ImpalaSlayer
04-27-2010, 05:57 PM
+1 for tune

dwrwebb
04-27-2010, 05:59 PM
well, I am leaning that way..and forkingover the dough for the CAI too...maybe...tune first though

SC Cheesehead
04-27-2010, 06:13 PM
well, I am leaning that way..and forkingover the dough for the CAI too...maybe...tune first though

Now you're talking! :up:

ctrlraven
04-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Yes tune first! It makes the car a whole different animal, tons more enjoyment than just what intake kit will do.

dohc324ci
04-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Best bang for your buck on the Marauder is a tune. It isnt so much the added hp but the trans shift schedule is how it should have been from the factory. Feels like your in the right gear when you mash the throttle or cruising around town. No more of the trans hunt that plagued the factory tune . Then a JLT CAI and maybe exhaust.

Then when the mod bug hits you just realize damn I gotta have a SC! Well good luck and have fun researching.