PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting idling speed

rossv1
04-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Hey everyone. Ive been modding out my MM at a fast rate since getting it back in just. I should be getting my Steeda UDPs this friday but i already have a Lidio tune in the MM. How much higher should I set my idle speed to accommodate for the slight loss of power, if any?

musclemerc
04-28-2010, 05:24 AM
bump it up to 900rpm @ idle. Get a new crank bolt they are TTY.

fastblackmerc
04-28-2010, 05:55 AM
Idle speed needs to be 200RPM higher than factory setting.

Zack
04-28-2010, 05:58 AM
Ive been in a million MM's with UDP's and IMHO an idle speed adjustment is not necessary.

However, that is based on my tunes that command 650-675 at idle. Lidios is set at 600 I believe which may be too low.

Let your volt gauge determine what to set it at.

Ktorres1
04-28-2010, 07:15 AM
I myself bumped up lidio idle speed to 766 because for me it was dead low. It feels much better slightly higher as the car comes alive quicker and seems to jump out the hole on a touch of throttle.

MrBluGruv
04-28-2010, 07:25 AM
I myself bumped up lidio idle speed to 766 because for me it was dead low. It feels much better slightly higher as the car comes alive quicker and seems to jump out the hole on a touch of throttle.

I thought I was the only person that felt that, I noticed how much livelier the car felt from a stop when I had mine bumped up. But something didn't feel quite right about that high an idle, couldn't put a finger on it, but I did bump it back down.

rossv1
04-28-2010, 07:28 AM
awesome you guys. thanks for the quick responses. Zack i'll take ur advice first and just see how the car acts after installing the UDPs, and if it is too low then ill bump it up. and i guess my other question would be what mod to do after this one? So far i have control arms, front and rear sway bars, CAI, soon to have UDPs, flowmaster series 40s, SCT Lidio tune, sercurity system, and a sound system. I was thinking about getting the watts link system but i didnt know if it would make that much of a difference.

fastblackmerc
04-28-2010, 08:04 AM
awesome you guys. thanks for the quick responses. Zack i'll take ur advice first and just see how the car acts after installing the UDPs, and if it is too low then ill bump it up. and i guess my other question would be what mod to do after this one? So far i have control arms, front and rear sway bars, CAI, soon to have UDPs, flowmaster series 40s, SCT Lidio tune, sercurity system, and a sound system. I was thinking about getting the watts link system but i didnt know if it would make that much of a difference.

Watts link is a good choice. You can also do colder plugs and stat, EMP or electric water pump & GMS coil connectors. Also look at upgrading the brakes. I went with the upgrade from TCE (a vendor here).

musclemerc
04-28-2010, 08:10 AM
COP connectors, A full brake upgrade, and a mid-pipe upgrade

SC Cheesehead
04-28-2010, 10:48 AM
How about 4.10 gears?

rossv1
04-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Yea i was thinking of doing the Ss brake lines after the watts link system and then slotted rotors with hawk pads. Im still hesitant on doing 4.10's just because im happy with the 3.55's now with teh tune on them. i guess i wont know until i get a chance to play around in a MM with 4.10's already in it to see what its all about.

281MERC
05-10-2010, 08:46 PM
the pullies slow you down by about 25%....so just add 25% to your 566rpm idle. you do the math:) i figure it falls somewhere between 666-716 so i chose 666 cause its a cool number. plus u could say your helping your transmission stay cooler when sitting in traffic;)

Ktorres1
05-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Steeda underdrive pulleys are than likely my next mod shortly so can I get a clear note on exactly what the pros and cons are of the swap! I heard from the positive to expect gains of 6-10 hp, better response and accelleration! Did I miss something here?

Black_Out
05-11-2010, 10:48 AM
I've been happy with my UDP's after zacks tune, it definitely feels like the power is there right away now. Pulls a bit harder and is more responsive at any speed :)

CodeMan
05-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Great thread rossv1!!!:up:

How is the idle adjusted?? A tuner?? I am getting UDP's myself, & would have never known this would be needed after the modification....

Black_Out
05-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Great thread rossv1!!!:up:

How is the idle adjusted?? A tuner?? I am getting UDP's myself, & would have never known this would be needed after the modification....

From what I understand sometimes it's not needed, you'll be able to tell if your lights start dimming or you lose a bit of power at idle. The higher idle speed is just to compensate for the loss of charging from the alternator.

CodeMan
05-11-2010, 07:14 PM
have an Xcal 2, but cant adjust anything on my tune. As I posted before, is a tuner needed to adjust the idle?

Ktorres1
05-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Yes the tuner is needed to adjust idle rpm's! If your tuner is not allowing you any adjustments, you need to call your tuning guy and ask if you have open user adjustments and perhaps ship it of to him for some tweaking of making these adjustments open to you. I have my idle rpm on my lidio tune set at 766 drive rpm and at wot it just jumps to 2500 rpm in a split second which really gets me out the whole! My next mod will be steeda ud pulleys!!