PDA

View Full Version : adjusting global spark and line pressure

Youngblood
05-02-2010, 09:52 AM
soo ive seen a lot of debate over adjusting global spark and line pressures. i just did a lidio tune and love it. but now im starting to tweak it to my likings. i want to bump up my line pressure but not sure how much i can do witout causing possible harm to my trans. also i see a lot of guys advance their global spark to 4 degrees. is this safe? will it cause any other problems. i know if its advanced to much the ecu will pull it back and throw off the timming. i did at one point set it to 4 degrees and honestly felt the difference. car pulled much stronger. but it did run a little rough at idle. i run 93 octane from shell and never put cheap gas. would 4 degrees be ok?

also whats a good safe adjustment for my line pressure? i have 96k on my trans and shifts mint. or should i leave it how lidio set it up

also are there any other little adjustments i can make with my sct x3 to get some more power from mm.

Zack
05-02-2010, 10:09 AM
You can adjust the line pressure til you are blue in the face and you wont do damage.

Dont touch the spark unless you are positive what detonation sounds like.

Youngblood
05-02-2010, 10:16 AM
i know the sound of detonation. and didnt hear anything when i was set 4 degrees higher. so you think its actually benificial to run with the 4 degrees? and is normal for it to run a lil rough at idle..and will it smooth out ass the car adjusts?

Ktorres1
05-02-2010, 10:44 AM
I second that?

Ktorres1
05-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Does anyone have any input as if it is safe or effective for power gains to add a few degrees of global spark timing to a lidio tune? I have his 93 oct tune and have added 1 degree as the tuner came with it set at 0. Has anyone tried this and had any improvement or experience with this?

Zack
05-02-2010, 07:55 PM
You guys can add timing all you want as long as it does not exceed the Maximum allowed spark programmed on the tune.

If its programmed to run 19 degrees at 6000rpms and 70% load, and the max allowed spark table is set to 19 degrees, you wont be adding timing at all.

musclemerc
05-03-2010, 05:19 AM
The only way you will know if you got any gains at all is put it on a dyno, other than that your relying on the butt-o-meter. PM MrBluGruve he sware's by it. BTW what's up with all the new guy's getting Lidio's tune and having to do all of the adjusting on the parameters? In the past the other's just put them in and were happy with them. :confused:

Does anyone have any input as if it is safe or effective for power gains to add a few degrees of global spark timing to a lidio tune? I have his 93 oct tune and have added 1 degree as the tuner came with it set at 0. Has anyone tried this and had any improvement or experience with this?

Pat
05-03-2010, 06:10 AM
^^^ good question^^^. I think it has to do with the capability of the new tuners. The older ones did not allow for any customer changes. However, IIRC the vendor has to enable this feature.

My vendor chose not to, prolly to prevent me from screwing something up, which I am prone to do. Wise man, my vendor.

Regards,

Pat

ctrlraven
05-03-2010, 06:10 AM
I wouldn't touch the global spark but that's just me and have no need to adjust it on my tune. :)

Zack
05-03-2010, 06:15 AM
I just answered a PM regarding these adjustments, and no good tuner will ever give suggestions as to whats safe or not to adjust. ...because we arent in YOUR car to MAKE SURE it ok!
The tunes on any device are 99.9% tested to perform flawlessly with noticeable results anywhere in the country, on any Marauder.

If you guys want to go messing with spark and line pressures, that your decision, and ultimately you will have to answer to yourself if something goes wrong or breaks.

If you arent satisfied with a mail order tune, I suggest you get a supercharger, cause you are gonna be chasing minimal HP you prolly wont even feel by making adjustments.

musclemerc
05-03-2010, 06:29 AM
^^^^ Well said Zack! ^^^

Ktorres1
05-03-2010, 09:22 PM
I guess I'm calling lidio for sure tommorow.

Ktorres1
05-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Had a chat with lidio today and he said that a fairly stock marauder didn't need much more timing other than the fair amount of degrees he adds to his tune but advised me that I can add a couple more degrees if one feels the need. He encourage to keep an ear out for the marble sound of detonation and that power and safety would also depend on the weather of location! Forgot to discuss line pressure with him so I'll have to give him a call back when I get a chance.

BAD MERC
05-04-2010, 10:11 PM
On my Lidio tune I increased the shift pressure and compensated for 4.10 gears but I never had access to a dyno to see what any other adjustments would do.

Darrin
05-05-2010, 04:10 AM
You can up the line pressure as much as the tuner will allow and it is unlikely to hurt anything in the transmission. There is maybe a slight possibility of a gasket issue, but I haven't made up my mind what is causing that yet. I don't see it happen again after I make changes to the valve body though.

But, that said, I sell transmissions with a manual valve body that 'fixes' the line pressure to maximum at all times. That is more than you are ever going to get with the adjustments you have and they don't have issues.

I still find myself asking "But why?" though. If you want to firm up the shifts then do it the right way by making the right changes to the hardware via the valve body. No worries at all in doing it that way.

Darrin

Ktorres1
05-05-2010, 07:15 AM
That is true Darrin and thanks for the confirmation. A j-mod would be nice in the valve body in my near future, pm me a price!