PDA

View Full Version : Shift Point discussion

Pat
05-07-2010, 07:47 AM
I am uncertain what folks mean when they use the term "tuning the shift points".

This is what I think I know:

That shifting at a certain RPM when in WOTcan be changed in the computer tune by gear (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

That certain internal pressures within the transmission can be changed resulting in firmer shifts.

That torque converter lock up and unlock points can be changed but I'm not sure if it's related to engine RPM or MPH?

What I don't know:

Can part throttle shifting operations be manipulated in the tune?

What WOT shift points are perferred. Mine is set to 6K in all three gears at WOT.

I'm finding this tuning is a closely guarded secret, and I don't want to upset anyone's apple cart. But I would like to know just what parameters can be tuned in the tranny.

Reference me to a publication please. My library doesn't seem to have anything on transmission tuning, just dyno tuning of the engine.

Thanks,

babbage
05-07-2010, 07:51 AM
You need the SCT pro racer software package. Then you can do anything you want.

Zack
05-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Any aspect of shifting and lockup can be changed in the tune.

Since you have No I/C, 6000 is a good number.
If you spray it at the track, 6500 is a good number to shift at.

Zack
05-07-2010, 07:52 AM
You need the SCT pro racer software package. Then you can do anything you want.

Its on the internet, you just have to know where to look. ;)

Im not telling either.

Pat
05-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Its on the internet, you just have to know where to look. ;)

Im not telling either.

Aha! thanks, Zack. I can start an immediate search using various terms.

Paul T. Casey
05-07-2010, 08:12 AM
allfordmustangs.com (I think, maybe no S) is a good place to start. You seem to know a lot.

Zack
05-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Aha! thanks, Zack. I can start an immediate search using various terms.

haha you will never find it.

Pat
05-07-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm challenged. Prolly not the same info as your source but something similar for my purposes. :D

FordNut
05-07-2010, 09:59 AM
The attached screen capture is from my PCS transmission controller calibration software. You can adjust the shift point for all the gears, both up and downshifting, for every TPS reading with respect to MPH. The SCT PRP has a similar screen.

Note this screen capture is for demonstration purposes only, the latest shift schedule I have worked out is somewhat different. It's on a different computer though.

Pat
05-07-2010, 09:30 PM
I found a site that pretty much answered all my questions. www.hptuners.com/help/index.html?page=vcm_editor_par ameters_ford_trans.htm (http://www.hptuners.com/help/index.html?page=vcm_editor_par ameters_ford_trans.htm)

This site explains the Ford transmission operation and what is adjustable. That's what I wanted to know.

This will require a lot of study, and I'm not going to jump in and start changing parameters, but at least I'll have some idea of what the tuner man is looking at/for. :confused:

So it's back on my head and learn this stuff. A might sight more complicated than I thought. :sleepy:

Regards,

Pat

djv5150
05-08-2010, 07:53 AM
I found a site that pretty much answered all my questions. www.hptuners.com/help/index.html?page=vcm_editor_par ameters_ford_trans.htm (http://www.hptuners.com/help/index.html?page=vcm_editor_par ameters_ford_trans.htm)

This site explains the Ford transmission operation and what is adjustable. That's what I wanted to know.

This will require a lot of study, and I'm not going to jump in and start changing parameters, but at least I'll have some idea of what the tuner man is looking at/for. :confused:

So it's back on my head and learn this stuff. A might sight more complicated than I thought. :sleepy:

Regards,

Pat

Thanks for posting the link.