PDA

View Full Version : Claybar + crappy Marauder paint...

a_d_a_m
05-09-2010, 08:33 AM
I've done some searches on this and really haven't found the answer to my question. I've got an early-built Marauder with the less-than-stellar paint. The factory paint was recalled on the hood and roof, but the re-spray is just as half-assed and there are a couple chips in the hood from many miles of interstates. It shines up okay, but I suspect there is room for improvement.

My question is:
Is the Mothers or Meguiar's claybar system safe for a Marauder with slightly fragile paint?

I know I'm not supposed to apply a lot of pressure, gotta keep it wet with quick detailer, keep the bar clean...I just want someone to give me the green light as far as "no, Adam, you won't :censor: the paint up any worse than it is."

Blackened300a
05-09-2010, 08:37 AM
I've used a claybar numerous times on the Marauder. It just removes the surface contaminates in the paint. I never had a issue where it would damage anything.

You have to keep it as wet as possible. Keep spraying and go with a uniform left and right motion. Like I said KEEP IT WET! If you are rubbing and you feel it start to grip, spray it again. If you drop it, then find another clay.

You should be fine.

Egon Spengler
05-09-2010, 08:43 AM
You should be fine with the claybar... It isn't going to improve your paint, but it will get the surface crap off and make he smooth as a baby tookace!

a_d_a_m
05-09-2010, 08:45 AM
That's what I wanted to hear. I had used it on the Grand Marquis, but that had one of the best factory paint jobs I've ever seen, so I really didn't fret about it. And on the Magnum, I've used it but I don't really care about that car too much.

This is a case of "I like the car but the paint sucks" so I just wanted to be sure. Thanks, folks, I'll buy you a Pabst Blue Ribbon if you're in Cleveland.

fastblackmerc
05-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Plus 1 on the claybar.

Use a real claybar. Unlike all of their other products the ICE claybar ain't worth do do....

CooLManZilla
05-09-2010, 12:12 PM
I love the Mothers system and have used it for years.
I have a million of the little cleaner wax bottles that I will probably never use.
Any one use the black Box? what if anything is the difference between the mothers?
I like to stick with what works so if the black box system doesn't contain anything different besides clever marketing I wont use it.

as far as the clay hurting the paint, It will not unless you drop it like Blackened said.

Blackened300a
05-09-2010, 12:48 PM
I love the Mothers system and have used it for years.
I have a million of the little cleaner wax bottles that I will probably never use.
Any one use the black Box? what if anything is the difference between the mothers?
I like to stick with what works so if the black box system doesn't contain anything different besides clever marketing I wont use it.

as far as the clay hurting the paint, It will not unless you drop it like Blackened said.

I like the Black box a lot. You have to use a compound or the claybar to remove the surface contaminates because the turtle wax cleaner wax isnt all that great at doing that. It does a great job removing the white haze on black cars.

fastblackmerc
05-09-2010, 12:58 PM
+2 on the Black Box system.

a_d_a_m
05-09-2010, 01:00 PM
+3 on the Black Box.

ImpalaSlayer
05-09-2010, 01:27 PM
i used the mothers claybar kit last year and really liked the results.

Mr. Man
05-09-2010, 02:03 PM
i used the mothers claybar kit last year and really liked the results.
Can you see a difference with the silver car?

Leadfoot281
05-09-2010, 02:25 PM

It's just a cleaner. I don't believe you'll see any difference unless you have a lot of noticeable junk stuck in the paint.

I've used the Mothers Claybar on my SBMM and liked it. My paint was clean to begin with so it didn't do too much. The bar moved like ice-on-ice across the whole thing and only dragged in a couple spots. I'd consider this to be a border line waste of time for my car.

My '96 Jeep Cherokee was a different story altogether! The paint felt like drywall before I started. Even with a good coat of wax it felt rough. The Claybar picked all sorts of crud out of it. When done, the finish was very, very smooth.

If it's wet and drags, it's cleaning. If it's dry and drags, you're wrecking your paint. If it's wet and doesn't drag, you're good to go.

fastblackmerc
05-09-2010, 02:34 PM
The way to check is to put your finger in side a plastic bag and drag your finger across the paint, if you need to claybar you'll feel it.

ImpalaSlayer
05-09-2010, 02:51 PM

i can, it looks way cleaner and slightly.....hmmm darker? hard to say. ill be doing it again b4 carlisle anyhow

ctrlraven
05-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Wash, clay bar, polish and then wax.

guspech750
05-09-2010, 06:29 PM
I have used the clay bar with awesome results. I have never seen the paint on the car come off from it. I think the clay bar is one of the best products out there for making your car look good. Just my opinion.

twin03
05-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Just look at Nate's Marauder..

ctrlraven
05-12-2010, 05:44 AM
Just look at Nate's Marauder..
Nate also had a professional do paint correction treatment to his car. That's different from what "average Joe" person and products can do.

RocsMerc
05-30-2010, 08:21 AM
The factory paint was recalled on the hood and roof

Sorry to go off topic but, WHAT! IS THIS TRUE? You mean I can get my *****y ass hood repainted for free? Was this an actual recall, or just a warranty claim? The clear on my hood is cracking and turning white, but the hood is the only part of the car doing this. I always suspected it was a shotty paint job from the factory to begin with. http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63222

Back on topic. I have used claybar on the bad paint on my hood before. It didn't do anything but make it feel smooth. As long as you keep the paint wet, I doubt you can damage any paint job with claybar unless the paint is flaking off already.

tbone
05-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Some people got FoMoCo to repaint their cars. No official recall. I's WAY too late now.
I put a brand new painted hood on my car for $277. I took a hammer to the old *****y hood and loved it.

fastblackmerc
05-30-2010, 08:33 AM

It should be:

Wash
Claybar
Wash
Wax

Rockettman
06-04-2010, 05:25 AM
I've used the Mother's clay bar on my Mustang for over 10 years, and my Marauder even up to last weekend...smooth as glass!
Great product! I haven't tried the others (Mequires / Turtle Wax) because Mother's works...so why change?
My steps: wash / clay bar / polish (Mother's Phase #2) / buff / wax / buff.