PDA

View Full Version : Almost joined the MAC

MapleLeafMerc
11-20-2003, 09:55 PM
On the way home tonight I came very close to joining the Marauder accident club. Doing about 100kph near home, I see a car arrive and stop at the intersection ahead. My guess is that I was about 500 feet from the intersection when he stopped. I continue on, wondering if he will try to dart across; maybe 3 seconds, say another 300 feet. Then, as though it was a dream, I see him not only pull out, but he turns onto the road to go in the same direction! Now I'm in trouble. I hit the brakes and steer to the left, and incredibly he moves over to the left too! With the ABS grinding away, I move as far left as I can. Finally I just barely clear him on the way by.

I still don't know how I managed to avoid hitting him. I had run out of even shoulder room, and decided that I wasn't going to crash on my own. One of the reasons I like the MM is that I have a better than even chance against any other car, and I'm not going to ditch it (and maybe kill myself anyway) to avoid contact.

What I still can't understand is why he waited for 3 seconds and THEN pulled out! :mad2: Thank god for those brakes. :eek:

Bigdogjim
11-20-2003, 11:32 PM
Happy your OK!

I have given up trying to fiigure out the other driver.

That why mom always said wear clean underware:):):):)

DONP1217
11-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Wow. Did this guy have California plates?

MapleLeafMerc
11-21-2003, 10:35 AM
It happened so fast (and at night) I couldn't even tell you what model of car it was, let alone the plates. Just reminds me that you can never, ever make a completely safe assumption about what "the other guy" is going to do.

Dr Caleb
11-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by MapleLeafMerc
you can never, ever make a completely safe assumption about what "the other guy" is going to do.

Yes you can. Assume the other guy is an idiot, and be pleasantly suprised when you meet the 1% er that isn't. :)

TripleTransAm
11-21-2003, 12:36 PM
What I still can't understand is why he waited for 3 seconds and THEN pulled out! :mad2: Thank god for those brakes. :eek:

Hey, MLM... next time you're in my neighbourhood, let me know ahead of time so we can hook up! ;)

(your description sounded like something that would happen in my neck of the woods... I can't wait to move off-island...)

jgc61sr2002
11-21-2003, 04:21 PM
It's hard to judge the speed of a vehicle coming in your direction especially at night. What was the speed limit. Remember it takes two to tango. I am glad you were able to avoid an accident. Good defensive driving on your part.

MapleLeafMerc
11-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by jgc61sr2002
It's hard to judge the speed of a vehicle coming in your direction especially at night. What was the speed limit. Remember it takes two to tango.

You're absolutely right! I should have included this in my post:

It was a typical Caledon road: 5-30 driveways per mile, sideroads every mile or so, road I was on had the right of way (he had a stop sign). Nothing but rural homeowners or farmers. Absolutely no other light distractions for him.

I think the speed limit was 80 kph (about 50 mph). I say this because in Caledon you can get a speed reduction by your house if you complain long and loud enough. Limits here vary according to who complained the most on that road. There's even a place here where the yellow sign (that warns about a curve) says 60 kph, and the regular, white speed limit sign also (NOW) says 60 kph.

Bigdogjim
11-21-2003, 08:04 PM
You're absolutely right! I should have included this in my post:

It was a typical Caledon road: 5-30 driveways per mile, sideroads every mile or so. Nothing but rural homeowners or farmers. Absolutely no other light distractions for him.

Well don't forget the cell phone or foolin with the radio buttons:)

CRUZTAKER
11-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by DONP1217
Wow. Did this guy have California plates?

Likely Ontario :P:rolleyes:

I had my brush with death once in the MM.....once.
It handles nice under extreme brake and maneuver doesn't it?

MapleLeafMerc
11-21-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by CRUZTAKER
Likely Ontario :P:rolleyes:

I had my brush with death once in the MM.....once.
It handles nice under extreme brake and maneuver doesn't it?

It sure does, and definitely did that night. Thanks for reminding me that it isn't just the starting, but also the stopping that sets this car apart from the rest.

MapleLeafMerc
11-21-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Bigdogjim
Well don't forget the cell phone or foolin with the radio buttons:)

Too true. We ALL have to be extra careful out there (apologies to Hill Street Blues)

MapleLeafMerc
11-22-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by TripleTransAm
Hey, MLM... next time you're in my neighbourhood, let me know ahead of time

So you can get out of my way, right? :lol: :lol: