PDA

View Full Version : All original 1970 MM X-100

sunshine
05-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Okay, so I have had it for sale and no one wants it. Decided it was time to start working on it myself. Any ideas on where to start? This will be my first attempt at a restoration. Would like it to be show quality when I am done. It is a beutiful car and in pretty good shape. A dream to drive.

kirk
05-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Start (if you haven't already) by collecting information and parts you will need for your restoration. Many of the X-100 parts are hard to come by. Try and have what you need before you begin or it could be sitting apart for a while waiting on those critical parts.

sunshine
05-20-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't need a whole lot but will take your advice to heart, thanks

69marquis conv
05-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Like kirk suggested, gather the parts first. Prepare to pay over $80 each for the correct center caps for those Kelsey Hayes wheels, more for NOS if you can find them. The Cougar centers will fit but the emblem is completely different. The Marauder centers were the only ones with the black background with the Mercury medallion inside. It doesn't look like you need too many parts though, just rebuild/refinish/refurbish what you have and you'll be on your way. Drivetrain rebuild parts are relatively easy to find. Some of the Marauder/Marquis specific parts are a little tough to come by and pricey too, like vacuum headlight parts, power window switches, vacuum door lock parts, vacuum trunk release parts, etc.

sunshine
05-20-2010, 08:18 PM
I have only 2 of the center caps so I will be shopping for two more. As you said, the majority of it will be refinish/refurbishing. I plan to keep it stock and as original as I can. Although, I saw one called the black widow in a magazine once that was really, really cool.