PDA

View Full Version : convertible still in the works for 2004?

SKinBhamAL
07-18-2002, 09:40 PM
Logan, great site...thanks for you hard efforts.

I've been following the car mags on the Marauder but haven't heard anything new on the production plans for the convertible.

Last I heard, there was was to be a one year anniversary release of a convertible model(So, 7/1/03)...but that was way back around the time of the Chicago auto show.

Y'all heard any new news?

MarauderMike
07-19-2002, 02:28 AM
If they build it we will come! Go for it Mercury!!!!!!

Logan
07-19-2002, 06:56 AM
My current understanding is that the convertible was a concept only and no current plans are in the works for production.

SKinBhamAL
07-19-2002, 10:33 AM
Rats. A full size convertible under $40,000 would be a huge hit in my opinion. Put a bench in it and seat six, even better. Anyone else tired of all the two seaters coming out?

lshultz
07-19-2002, 12:09 PM
SKinBahmAL,
Different strokes for different folks...two seaters are fine if you are in the market for one, six packs are great for others...there are a few of em out there that I wouldn't mind having..but I would rather have a Marauder for the size and comfort...and the looks are not too shabby either...ls

D C
07-24-2002, 11:17 AM
A convertable could be kind of cool. I still think I would rather have the hardtop though.

b4z
07-24-2002, 01:18 PM
Frankly I would lie to see any money that mercury spends to develop a convertible go to improving the current Marauder.
5.0 or 5.4L engine and a 5 speed auto or maybe a blower.

Larry Vogel
07-24-2002, 05:29 PM
Mercury is still showing it at Mercury shows and it just may be more than just a concept.

Logan
07-24-2002, 08:24 PM
Mercury has stated publicly that there are no plans to put it into production at all. Of course, that can change, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

CownVicJohnny
08-13-2002, 05:29 PM
I read that Mercury would be monitoring consumer response to the 2002 MM convertible show car and make a decision based on feedback. Maybe we need to start a site for all of those who're behind the return of a 5-seater convertible? I for one would like Mercury to make the Marauder convertible...if nothing else to leave some fond memories for my kids. The other, we're a family of 5...if I want a 5-seater convertible, I need to go back a few years.

When I was growing up, our car was a 1965 Chevy Impala SS (283) convertible, crokus yellow exterior, black vinyl interior and a black top. I luved cruising in the Impala, top down, with my dad. Then my parents got into a small fender bender with the Impala, entered their 30s, got responsible and bought a 1980 Pontiac Phoenix hatchback. Can you say...ACK!!! The Impala was left to deteriorate in a storage garage for 10+ years until my brother took it upon himself to restore the Impala. Unfortunately, his luv for Mopars outweighed his luv for Chevys and the Impala is on the waiting list again. I never got the mechanical car smarts my dad and brother have...maybe I should take some classes and restore the Impala myself.

Cheers!
jB

Logan
08-13-2002, 06:49 PM
I smell a new poll coming on... :)

SKinBhamAL
08-14-2002, 03:58 AM
I'm not knocking two seater convertibles, but it just seems like there are at least 10 two seaters that are $30K and up on the market. How many intermediate size 5 seaters? One is all I can think of, the Chrysler, which happens to be the number one selling convertible in the country, which is not big enough IMO.

I wonder what the break even units are on producing a convertible at $40,000? 5000? It would be interesting to know and at what price. Build it and they will come.

Johnny, we had a 67 Marquis and a 75 Pontiac Grand Ville convertible growing up and agree. If the auto makers are going to wax nostalgic, lets do it for a big body convertible too.

RancorKeeper
08-14-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by SKinBhamAL
One is all I can think of, the Chrysler, which happens to be the number one selling convertible in the country, which is not big enough IMO.
The Mustang is now the #1 selling convertible in North America, since 2000, IINM. According to Ford, the Mustang & T-bird have combined to make Ford vert's outsell all other manufacturer's convertible models on the market in North America thru mid-year 2002, although I find that a bit hard to swallow. Interestingly, Chrysler still refers to the Sebring as "America's best-selling convertible", although sales figures prove that hasn't been true for a few years. If Mercury did build the convertible, I'd love one - my friends mother has a '70 Cougar vert & it's a blast to drive a big car with the top down.

smith5365
08-14-2002, 07:04 PM
Being the OLD GUY among all you youngsters, I can relate personally to full size convertibles being the best you can have. My picture albums still contain shots of (all bought new) the 1950, 1955, 1957, and 1961 Ford Convertibles I owned after service and while my family was young. I'd refinance the house to get a Mercury Marauder convertible, and pay over list (as I'm sure we will have to) to get it. My son still has my dad's 1967 Olds 98 Convertible which the family has owned since new. That's a "keeper" car you treat as a family heirloom, and the Marauder convertible would be exactly the same. Bring it on! I'm waiting!

Wild Bill