PDA

View Full Version : 2002 LX sport Brakes question

LightningVic
11-17-2002, 12:29 PM
Hey guys,
New member, Proud to be a part of panther platform heritage. I would have bought a marauder except for 2 reasons, the first one being I needed a car immediately this june. Second being, I was disappointed to see the lack of torque in a car this heavy, so I reasoned that I would get an LX sport and put the lightning engine in. Which I have already purchased both. Since june, I have put 11k miles on my car, and anticipate that I will have my warranty run out by june of next year. The 2002 Lightning engine will go in, albeit I am going to have to find some kind of scoop to cover up the large hole that will have to be cut in my hood, but other than that the swap is a direct bolt in. The origional wiring harness can be retained, and I spoke with Dennis a couple of months ago, I can have my Crown Vic ECM reprogrammed for the lightning engine.
However with this much torque, I am going to need bigger brakes. I was disappointed to see that the 2003 cars utilize a completely different steering setup than my 2002 LX sport, and I was wondering if the Baer Brakes would fit my 2002 spindles.
If anyone knows the answers to these questions and more drop me a line.
Thanks alot
Blake Stewart

Pantherman
11-17-2002, 10:04 PM
Even without the truck blower and manifold, the 5.4 is a taller and wider engine. I think the Lightning will be a very snug fit. Expect problems with the AC case, windshield wipers, and maybe the brake booster. The exhaust system will also take a bit of work.

LightningVic
11-17-2002, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the reply man,
I actually have taken all of the measurements, and everything will fit, and all the accessories will bolt back up. Somethings like the exhaust will need minor reworking, and the cowl will have to be cut slightly, but Winshield wiper operation wouldnt be bothered, and I will have to cut a hole in my hood, but I will then put a scoop of some kind on it. It will look OK, kind of take the sleeper off a little, but I can live with that. That is what I love about these mod motors though, since the accessories just bolt to the block all of the blocks are interchangable from the 4.6s, to the 5.4s to the V-10s. Fuel rails and lines will need reworking, AND I think that the injector connectors may have to be swapped out for lightning specific connectors, there are small things I have to worry about. But as long as it is not wiring, it should be fine. The stock mounts are retained and everything should bolt up pretty much where it is now.
now..............about that Brake question.:D

JerseyVics
11-17-2002, 10:40 PM
hey man,

good luck on the swap, keep me posted ( jerseyvics@aol.com )

now with brakes you can either buy a Brembo or Baer system and both will work perfect on your car, the more you pay the better the system.

later,
--Russ ;)