PDA

View Full Version : Kook's Marauder Kit

sailsmen
11-25-2003, 01:27 PM
Does the Kooks Kit require welding?

If so is there a way to order it with out the welding requirement.

In other words if we order with the 18" Magnaflows do they come welded in including the hangers?

Or could we use the stock mufflers to eliminate welding?

If we use the stock mufflers will performance be dramatically affected?

In other words are the replacement mufflers mainly for sound effects?

FordNut
11-25-2003, 06:38 PM
Welding is required with the Magnaflows or any other replacement mufflers. Even if the hangers were already installed, they would have to be welded to the tailpipes because the mufflers attach so close to a bend in the pipe that band clamps won't fit.

If you do not replace the mufflers it could be done without welding. The mufflers are 2" so they are likely fairly restrictive, especially compared to the 2-1/2" system.

Sounds like you're trying to do do the install yourself and don't have a welder. Why not replace the headers and x-pipe, tie them to the inlets of the stock mufflers with band clamps. Then drive it to a good muffler shop and have the mufflers replaced.

CRUZTAKER
11-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Good advice FordNut, some of us are only so fortunate to have our own welding equipment...heck, I WOULD probably burn the barn down. For the most part we can do narley most of it ourselves. Call Nick and he'll square you away.:up:

Logan
11-25-2003, 07:26 PM
Exactly what Fordnut said would be my suggestion.

The Kook's "Kit" is fully installable at this point without welding, provided you use the stock mufflers. So, order the kit with magnaflows, bolt 'er up to the stock mufflers initially, head to the exhaust shop and have them sawzall the old mufflers off and weld in the magnaflows. Easy as pie.

kurly
11-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Exactly what Fordnut said would be my suggestion.

The Kook's "Kit" is fully installable at this point without welding, provided you use the stock mufflers. So, order the kit with magnaflows, bolt 'er up to the stock mufflers initially, head to the exhaust shop and have them sawzall the old mufflers off and weld in the magnaflows. Easy as pie.

Logan, how about some timeslips from you too!

You've got some great mod's.

BillyGman
11-26-2003, 01:50 AM
you can do what I'm going to do: purchase the entire set-up from Kook's including the 18" Magnaflows. The Magnaflows will come w/a bigger tube on the inlet side that Nick will have "Bull-nosed" for you, so that you can simply slide them onto the 2 1/2" exhaust pipe that's part of the Kook's bolt-on set-up, and clamp the Magnaflows on w/a clamp that Kook's will provide you w/in the kit, and then simply drive the car w/the whole system in place to get a muffler shop to weld the backs (outlets) of the Magnaflows onto the existing tailpipes. And to answer your question, the Magnaflows will do more than just make the car louder since they're a straight-thru design w/out any baffles, and therefore will provide less back pressure than the stock mufflers do, or any mufflers w/baffles for that matter. If you take a flashlight and shine it into these mufflers, you can see clear to the other end. You should go to the website www.magnaflow.com to view the diagram and discription of their "Wide-Open" mufflers. Just click on the "Wide-open" link. After doing that, just give Kook's a call, and ask to speak to Nick.

sailsmen
11-26-2003, 07:30 AM
Thanks for all the input!

SergntMac
11-26-2003, 07:38 AM
Hey, y'all, I'm not using the Kooks exhaust kit, but I had the same option with DR's Cobra system.

Originally, I installed the tapered extension pipe that marries the 2.5 OD exhaust to the 2.0 OD OEM mufflers inlet (which matched the Ravin Z55s I had in place). Just recently, I exchanged that pipe for the 2.5 OD extension, and added a set of Magnaflows in 2.5 OD.

Like BillyG says, there IS a performance difference. Leaving the OEM mufflers in place do not allow you to take dull advantage of the 2.5 OD exhaust pipe. Necking down to meet the OEM mufflers creates a bottle neck where hot exhaust gas needs more room to flow evenly at that point in the system. By changing this pipe to 2.5 OD, and adding Maganflows, which are 2.5 OD straight through, you move the bottleneck to where it intersects with the 2.25 OD tailpipe. By that time, the exhaust gas is much cooler, and it flows evenly.

I've been tracking my Cobra exhaust mod with dyno tests. My "before" was 412RWHP, 381 RWTQ. My first "after" (with the restrictive pipe in place) reported 438 RWHP and 399 RWTQ. That's a clean 26 HP and 18 Lb of TQ, at the rear wheels, guaranteed. Now that I've added the 2.5 OD extension pipe and Magnaflows, I expect to see even more power at the rear wheels. This dyno will be done tonight, and I expect to be able to prove that this pipe and Magnaflows are not just tweaks to sound. I'll update y'all later.

BillyGman
11-26-2003, 07:43 AM
interesting MAC........

Ross
11-26-2003, 09:01 AM
Great, Sarge! I'm looking forward to those results.

TripleG
11-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks Sarge just the input I needed. I'm InstallingDR's system next week. Now I just have to chose which muffler.

TAF
11-26-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by TripleG
Thanks Sarge just the input I needed. I'm InstallingDR's system next week. Now I just have to chose which muffler.

I can not recommend the 18" Magnaflows (Stainless, of course) more highly. Mac, also put these on the KB #1 while here in ATL.

Ross
11-26-2003, 09:43 AM
Todd, how do the 18" Magnaflows sound inside the cabin? Specifically, how much louder at idle, with normal driving, and on accelleration? I want more performance, but I still want it to be bearable inside. Thanks

Logan
11-26-2003, 12:05 PM
Ross, the 18" magnaflows are as quiet as stock at idle and just SLIGHTLY louder at cruise. Go WOT and see makes a significant amount of noise.

In other words, normal driving and acceleration will not annoy anyone in the cabin. That's for sure.

I've got 14" magnaflows on mine and it's still very civilized.

Macon Marauder
11-26-2003, 12:25 PM
I drove Todd's car a few weeks ago and the exhaust was PERFECT in my opinion. Just as Logan describes: barely noticable until you punch it. Then it's sweet!

Ross
11-26-2003, 01:57 PM
Aaaahhh, sounds like what I am looking for. Now, if I only get a Christmas bonus and I can get the Kook's setup!